3dr solo gimbal gopro power wire

Reaction score
I noticed my gopro gets very hot when it stays charging on the gimbal and that it kills some flight time due to the constant charge. I did some research and found out that the power wire is the yellow wire and that it is only for charging the GoPro. Has anyone cut this wire to eliminate this problem ? Also the GoPro 4 black I use I cbarge preflight and have extra batteries so no need for a GoPro gimbal charge.

Based on your description you may have another issue. Common past have been the result of the memory card being used.

What memory card are you using..brand, class/rating and capacity?

Most recommend the SanDisk "Extreme" U3 rated and have performed with fewer issues, specifically related to GP heat issues. They are expensive cards, but well worth it.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
D8039C73-19E8-4A73-93ED-9D31842D98A1.png
Based on your description you may have another issue. Common past have been the result of the memory card being used.

What memory card are you using..brand, class/rating and capacity?

Most recommend the SanDisk "Extreme" U3 rated and have performed with fewer issues, specifically related to GP heat issues. They are expensive cards, but well worth it.

I’m using a SanDisk ultra plus 32gb, the GoPro works fine but why keep charging it and wasting flight time if it’s not necessary? Crappy setup imo but I think I can cut that wire and tuck it away just making sure no other aspect of the drone will not work.

You are, on average, going to gain very little flight time with that mod. But if that isn't your concern, a soldering iron can always put it back, right?

You are, on average, going to gain very little flight time with that mod. But if that isn't your concern, a soldering iron can always put it back, right?

I saw in another thread that it actually takes about 24 seconds from each minute of flight time, someone calculated it so it’s more then most think and yes you can just use a connection clip to reconnect

I saw in another thread that it actually takes about 24 seconds from each minute of flight time, someone calculated it so it’s more then most think and yes you can just use a connection clip to reconnect
Sure if we are talking the GP and gimbal....and their combined weight...removed

Sure if we are talking the GP and gimbal....and their combined weight...removed

Actually it’s 24% of the minute which is 14.4 seconds from each minute and that’s just the GoPro charge alone without the weight and power of the gimbal. That’s why I want to cut it.

Actually it’s 24% of the minute which is 14.4 seconds from each minute and that’s just the GoPro charge alone without the weight and power of the gimbal. That’s why I want to cut it.

Attachments

• EF248D53-57A9-4A19-AC45-0B43FDA644E1.png
    EF248D53-57A9-4A19-AC45-0B43FDA644E1.png
    497.7 KB · Views: 31
Your interpretation is off, the 14.6 seconds is the total time added to 15 minutes average battery.

Does Solo have to charge the GoPro?

FWIW the SanDisk Ultra Plus cards will cause the heat build up issue with GP and Solo. I have 4 and never use them when flying with Solo.
I've noticed that my SanDisks are causing a lot of heat too, what do you recommend?

Myself and others found the Sandisk Extreme (red/gold) series perform well at a minimum. They are rated up to 100/90MB/s read/write speed, video speed C10, U3, V30 Micro SDXC/SDHC. Anything less seems to choke.

It's all about the write speed....U3 & V30 minimum ratings... Speed Class - SD Association

I use these ones. Never had an issue, use them in all 3 of my gopro's (4) and use them in my fusions (2). Haven't had any overheating, read or write errors and I'm happy with the price.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44