3DR firmware mirror site

Reaction score
Thinking out loud here. For those who (for whatever reason - not the issue) want to restore their Solo to factory firmware, would it be feasible to mirror the OEM firmware on another server (local or public), redirect the 3DR server URL to the IP of the mirror server, and perform the update? Did the 3DR servers use a common protocol (HTTP, TFTP etc) or a proprietary one?

What you are inquiring about is technically feasible - but there are myriad caveats. The update process uses standard HTTP GET, so is standards compliant as far as fetching the file. I in fact think that the original firmware file still exists on the OpenSolo servers [don't quote me on that, going on memory].

However, unless you're willing to do local DNS injection, you'll still need to utilize Solex/SidePilot and probably get the developer's cooperation on such. There is not really a realistic way to modify the stock 3DR Solo app to point at your [local or remote] public server.

It's actually simple to remap a hostname to another IP at the router. I believe my old FiOS router could do this and with pfSense it's easy. If I understand this correctly the app wouldn't need to be modified as it would have no idea it's not talking with the real (and defunct) server.

In theory, yes. I haven't done a wireshark capture or anything so I don't know all the domains you might need to spoof.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo