3dr and DJI partner

3DR never had a chance to really compete against the behmoth. They could've stayed afloat doing their own niche instead of challenging DJI but hubris got the best of them.
Behind The Crash Of 3D Robotics, North America's Most Promising Drone Company
"There are no drones in the sky right now, and that is so weird,” he remarked, pointing to the heavens.
“When you talk about a blue sky opportunity, we really are looking at one."
“I’d never seen a market with price declines like that,”
“Everybody other than DJI lost.”

So 3DR is not the only one to fall, the next will probably be the Parrot/Sensefly:
Parrot is laying off a third of its drone division
"It’s not easy to compete with DJI
"

Parrot was the creator of the amazing "AR-Drone" (my 2012 first drone) with an amazing commercial success!
They also started with an open API, but soon changed direction and discontinued AR-Drone 2 (everyone was waiting for 3 version!). Funny thing, AR-Drone 2 (2012) is still selling!
Why?
I guess: Because Parrot bought Sensefly (a Parrot Company) and AR-Drone could compete with their enterprise solution eBee.

But Parrot has more commercial intelligence, because they are not an exclusive Drone company, so they will survive, probably with other brilliant products!

Drones will continue to grow, because business/money is not everything...
SUAS: Students Unmanned Aerial Systems since 2002!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Thought I would Soap box just a little bit. I bought the SOLO simply because it was not main stream. To also be fair the price last December greatly motivated decision. I can now say it was one of the best decisions I have made in the hobby thus far. I now have two birds and will be getting a third (As soon as wife looks the other way). I believe the reason is due to the “type” of people in the hobby that own SOLO’s versus DJI birds. If you read DJI’s forums you will be overwhelmed with the amount of folks simply complaining & b_ching. Solo’s seemed to have attracted creative people not afraid to develop and try their own solutions. (balls) I personally simply can’t put in the amount of time to develop the expertise needed to be real successful in this hobby and having a product that has so many willing people to help me is critical to my success. I do admit NOT having the same dam thing every other Joe has is also appealing to me. I have learned over the years that just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean it is the best choice. In fact the opposite holds true in many cases as most just blindly get in the longest line figuring it is longer for a reason. My neighbor as the P4 and came over and was watching me fly and commented that is a pretty cool “toy”. He simply believes since DJI cost so much more it must be that much better. Complete lack of research is very typical these days. I simply smiled and said yes I have 2 of them and plan on getting a third shortly. I bought the SOLO I knew exactly what would be needed to correct/upgrade the original design flaws based on 69 min reading in this forum.

I am sad that 3dr was unable to compete with DJI long term but very happy the direction SOLO is going now. I am not afraid one bit for future anything keeping these birds up in the air for many years to come. On the downside this forum is costing me money. Last month reading one night there is a guy out here somewhere (lost the link) that posted something about flying a Panasonic TZ110 and because of his incredible research on cameras and his awesomeness/bravery he just cost me 700 bucks! Yep I bought that sucker and I am now flying it with unbelievable results that you would never ever get from drone cam. You all also need to shut up already about this green cubie deal as I am going to miss a house payment pretty soon. :)
lol best interest??

you must be new here

go read up one of the many stories on how DJI North America couldn't buy up 3DR so they made it a personal decision to decimate them in approx 1-2 year. It was a very personal revenge from DJI CEO because of the rift Colin Guinn started....a disgruntled former DJI management.

3DR never had a chance to really compete against the behmoth. They could've stayed afloat doing their own niche instead of challenging DJI but hubris got the best of them.

@RiverPilot you mean 340$ short of house mortgage :)
But agreed before the gimbal code is committed back you can't anticipate smooth integration

Thought I would Soap box just a little bit. I bought the SOLO simply because it was not main stream. To also be fair the price last December greatly motivated decision. I can now say it was one of the best decisions I have made in the hobby thus far. I now have two birds and will be getting a third (As soon as wife looks the other way). I believe the reason is due to the “type” of people in the hobby that own SOLO’s versus DJI birds. If you read DJI’s forums you will be overwhelmed with the amount of folks simply complaining & b_ching. Solo’s seemed to have attracted creative people not afraid to develop and try their own solutions. (balls) I personally simply can’t put in the amount of time to develop the expertise needed to be real successful in this hobby and having a product that has so many willing people to help me is critical to my success. I do admit NOT having the same dam thing every other Joe has is also appealing to me. I have learned over the years that just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean it is the best choice. In fact the opposite holds true in many cases as most just blindly get in the longest line figuring it is longer for a reason. My neighbor as the P4 and came over and was watching me fly and commented that is a pretty cool “toy”. He simply believes since DJI cost so much more it must be that much better. Complete lack of research is very typical these days. I simply smiled and said yes I have 2 of them and plan on getting a third shortly. I bought the SOLO I knew exactly what would be needed to correct/upgrade the original design flaws based on 69 min reading in this forum.

I am sad that 3dr was unable to compete with DJI long term but very happy the direction SOLO is going now. I am not afraid one bit for future anything keeping these birds up in the air for many years to come. On the downside this forum is costing me money. Last month reading one night there is a guy out here somewhere (lost the link) that posted something about flying a Panasonic TZ110 and because of his incredible research on cameras and his awesomeness/bravery he just cost me 700 bucks! Yep I bought that sucker and I am now flying it with unbelievable results that you would never ever get from drone cam. You all also need to shut up already about this green cubie deal as I am going to miss a house payment pretty soon. :)

That was me with the tz110, using mine all of the time, more than the gopro and gimbal, probably because i am into my still photography more than video. Glad you got one and getting great results, sorry i cost you money But the results are worth it. Cheers from Rob in Australia

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421