Working for The UAVs Man

Reaction score
Many including myself see a bright future for drone business opportunities. Having worked on many Federal Government contracts as a Primary and a Partner I recently helped a young company start the process of entering the commercial drone market. This assumes that you have a business entity setup with insurance, website etc.

You might want to start the process of signing up as a contractor for the government now. This is something that will evolve over years. Here is the first stop before you tackle the GSA Schedule.

Do this.

1. Get a DUNS number

2. Register here https://www.sam.gov

3. To do UAV contract searches and get a feeling for opportunities register here Home - Federal Business Opportunities: Home

Good luck.

Good for you Frank. As you discovered it's not hard just tedious.

You are into mapping which at the moment still is being speced with film and planes as far as the awards I have seen. Some nice $$ contracts too. Who couldn't use an extra 30K of work these days.

Another potential avenue for the more artistic pretty picture types is signing up with the GSA Arts in Architecture program. They commission and buy art from artists around the US for buildings across the country. There are few if none in this program working with Drones that I know.

Just a question though, wouldn't these contracts typically be a little big for just a Solo?

Just a question though, wouldn't these contracts typically be a little big for just a Solo?

For mapping at the moment most would pursue a fixed wing solution. For video production contracts that involve roof inspections of Federal buildings a Solo would be quite appropriate.

You would have the potential to 'sub' under a 'prime', and may have to do that early-on. Read below.
Good for you Frank. As you discovered it's not hard just tedious...
SAM and DUNS are the two easiest things you'll ever do to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with Federal gov't. After your GSA contract is approved, you will register on eBuy and get automated notices that fit the NAICS codes of your business. Same with setting up a search criteria on FedBizOpps for opportunities.

After much back and forth with a GSA Contracting Officer (who will be assigned to you/your company) It took about two years for my company to finally receive a GSA contract. After the award you also are required to do business with Fed gov't or they will taketh away.

One of the very toughest things we've found, when we were a young(er) company, was demonstrating past performance. All the RFQs/SOWs look for past performance - difficult to establish for a young company. We also have additional certifications to complete every two years as we are a WO (Woman Owned), SDVOSB (Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business). If you believe you fall into other contracting programs like 8a, HUBZone, etc, you may be eligible for sole-source and set-asides.
Government Contracting Programs | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

In our case, it took about four years to really begin making money, but our particular company would be nowhere today without our Federal contracts. Of course, every FY you have to worry a bit about funding, but drone use in Gov't and private industry appears to be developing rapidly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado