Why won't my Solo go more than 1000 feet?

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th solo, the 1st would fly the mile but the other 3 barely make it to 1000 feet before they return home. Have I done something to change settings? Are they not supposed to go a mile anymore? I'm confused and pissed a little...

lucky you to have 4 Solos.

specs tell us the range is 0.5 mile

have a look at this thread to see what range are other people getting (also note whether they use stock or after market antennas)
Whats your max solo range to date?

your range depends on many factors (environment, wi-fi interference, altitude,...), you cannot make 2 flights exactly identical even with same Solo.

did you test all of your Solos in same location, heading same direction at same altitude ? (but even then other factors would be different from day to day)

Max range was a little over 3800 feet. That was the day I got it, took it out of the box, put it in the air from my driveway and went with no problems. I actually had signal left but wasn't going to push it any further. This was in the middle of my neighbor with houses and business all around, I live next to cell towers and everything. But now I can't get anywhere near that

Actually when I have my polar pro lights on and immaculate 20/20 vision I can see the drone at night from a considerable distance. I'd like to stay on topic Chuck. But thanks for your input.
Flying with houses and business all around, and trying to go well beyond LOS. Asking for trouble, aren't you?

Just saying that most of us who want to test for distance will do so in an open area, with little or no wifi interference, and no buildings or businesses to contend with. Also testing for distance at night is not recommended by most of us here. So, my previous post was trying to stay on topic. It was just a suggestion for a safer distance test, if you want to do so. Just be safe, and good luck.

Yeah and its only a little illegal to fly over houses and businesses. Try reading...Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
Your just going to make the people who fly under the rules look like the rest of the Yahoo's out there. No need to worry about being politically correct for people who fly illegally.

Max range was a little over 3800 feet. That was the day I got it, took it out of the box, put it in the air from my driveway and went with no problems. I actually had signal left but wasn't going to push it any further. This was in the middle of my neighbor with houses and business all around, I live next to cell towers and everything. But now I can't get anywhere near that
You must be mistaken. There is no way you got 3800 feet in a wifi congested area. Anyway, have you tested one of your other Solos that gets more range at the same location?

If one Solo is outperforming the other, then you should probably check things like antenna orientation and battery charge level in the controller. Then you should compare params. It's possible the Solo that is returning to launch early has different fail safes or geofence params. You'll need to use Mission Planner or Tower to check.

Checking params is pretty easy. Just search within the params for "fence" and "fail", then note down the numbers and compare against your other Solo.

Actually when I have my polar pro lights on and immaculate 20/20 vision I can see the drone at night from a considerable distance. I'd like to stay on topic Chuck. But thanks for your input.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Its not like he jumped all over you. All he said is that your asking for trouble - which is true.

Reactions: Solo Keith
You must be mistaken. There is no way you got 3800 feet in a wifi congested area. Anyway, have you tested one of your other Solos that gets more range at the same location?

If one Solo is outperforming the other, then you should probably check things like antenna orientation and battery charge level in the controller. Then you should compare params. It's possible the Solo that is returning to launch early has different fail safes or geofence params. You'll need to use Mission Planner or Tower to check.

Checking params is pretty easy. Just search within the params for "fence" and "fail", then note down the numbers and compare against your other Solo.
Here is a link to available params.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arducopter-parameters/

That's just for your reference. If you peruse that (again, search for params with "fail" or "fence" in the name).

In Tower, it's very easy to get to the Params. Just note down any that you change so you can change them back if you need to. Also, when you messing with params you can really Bork things up, so be careful, and YES, do your testing in a VERY open area without people around.

I'm on my 4th solo, the 1st would fly the mile but the other 3 barely make it to 1000 feet before they return home. Have I done something to change settings? Are they not supposed to go a mile anymore? I'm confused and pissed a little...

If you are flying in an area with a lot of wifi interference this may be part of the problem. Another reason is the antenna angle (file attached) If neither of these help or you are already doing this you can buy some 3rd party antennas. The alfa ones have good results for a low price http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZWPS3O...lid=3OALQHHJAHVI3&coliid=I17YPGJAFQIF3O&psc=1

Attachments

• antenna_config-e1434064033299.png
    antenna_config-e1434064033299.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 19
He obviously can't take constructive criticism from those of us who were trying to advise and help, and then reverted to derogatory name calling to appease his lack of maturity. I don't know what else to call it, after he responded like he did.

I sort of feel bad for the people who have been in this hobby for years
these things have ushered in a group of people who have no respect for the hobby.
RTF means you take it out of a box and just fly.
well yes you can, but you really shouldn't.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ and Chuck
Technology has made these things so easy to fly, and with no manual coming with most of them, people just read a little and take off. I don't mind helping people when I can, to give them a start like I learned, but if you are not going to use common sense, and then ridicule the advice given from places like this, then you really shouldn't ask our opinion. Sounds like you are going to do whatever you want to do anyway, regardless of what we advise. Pyrate is right about a lot of new people lacking respect for the hobby, which does not help us out at all.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Yeah and its only a little illegal to fly over houses and businesses. Try reading...Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
Your just going to make the people who fly under the rules look like the rest of the Yahoo's out there. No need to worry about being politically correct for people who fly illegally.
There is no rules about flying over houses in the USA. Please read the link you posted for accurate information.

Not supposed to fly at night either, but I'm going off topic.
Flying at night is not prohibited in the USA.

There is no rules about flying over houses in the USA. Please read the link you posted for accurate information.

Flying at night is not prohibited in the USA.
Listen to Bubba J splain the rules to you, Lucy.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
  • The sUAS cannot operate over persons not directly involved in the operation or under a covered protective structure, and the operation must yield the right-of-way to other aircraft (manned or unmanned).
  • Flying over houses is flying over people. People are in, around and randomly walk out of houses all the time. Listen to Bubba!
  • Flights are only permitted in daylight with a minimum weather visibility of 3 miles and distance from clouds of no less than 500 feet below and 2,000 feet horizontally.
OK so there proposed rules but you might as well get used to them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44