Why RTH at max altitude?

Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I bump max altitude the Solo automatically goes into RTH? This is really annoying

At what distance? What's your max altitude set at? If all else fails, calibrate your sticks.

It's not a stick issue. I get to max altitude (the original setting, then went 200 and now at 397) and voila, RTH mode

If going slow you'll hit the fence but if your going fast Rth will trigger. Really it's their only option or solo could be automatically flying illegally I'd think. If your max is 400 than its dangerously close to or past being illegal so it makes sense for it to drop some and Rth is the only easy way for that to happen really. Depending on where your at compared to the ground your likley either above or below that 400 unless your field is level since its measuring from your home spot. I try to keep about 20 feet or better below my fence just to avoid any more of these bad press "drone" stories or any legal issues even if their unlikely for now. Not trying to preach or anything I'm actually curious myself.

Honestly I'm not even sure how they can measure or prove our exact altitude to tell if it's above or below 400 feet, technically I can go up or down the steep hills around here and be told by solo I'm quite a bit higher or lower if I take off from the top or bottom.

Anybody know a baseline or how that's best judged?

I mean from the top of my hill 400 feet is much different and I know the police copter that flies past my place every night would hit me they are probably only up a couple hundred feet anyway it goes usually.

I understand what ya mean by it being annoying and I'm not trying to be preachy at all but please try to avoid being higher than 400 for everybody here's sake. These stories latley about the terrible, privacy stealing, kitten killing, baby stealing drones are going to get us all restricted or banned if we're not careful.lol

Thanks
Safe flying and welcome to the forum there's tons of experienced folks with a lot of good info here.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Honestly I'm not even sure how they can measure or prove our exact altitude to tell if it's above or below 400 feet, technically I can go up or down the steep hills around here and be told by solo I'm quite a bit higher or lower if I take off from the top or bottom.

Altitude limits are Above Ground Level, or AGL. and is based on the distance from the aircraft to the ground immediately below it and has nothing to do with where 'you' are standing.

Well not standing I know that has nothing to do with it but where you take off is what's measured by solo, so if that's at the top or bottom of a hill or mountain obviously it moves a lot. Then as soon as you move the aircraft it's going to change dramatically and constantly so I'm sure there will be plenty of arguments to be made when it's in question. So sadly that leaves it up to the public both on our part and enforcement wise and in both cases that's going to cause issues I'm sure. First police not all but a lot are already on a power trip and whether picked on young or little man syndrome or whatever will surely think their words law and if they believe your at this altitude it's true. On the other hand idiot pilots like those causing these issues will be quick to see the highest point and say I'm not 400 feet above it. So what is our best bet now that this issue could make or break the hobby with all these stories I just don't want to be grounded is all.

I guess it will end up coming down to gps and common sense on our part as the "pilot" but we've seen how policing our selves is going and it doesn't bode well for our hobby/professions if it keeps up.

Well not standing I know that has nothing to do with it but where you take off is what's measured by solo, so if that's at the top or bottom of a hill or mountain obviously it moves a lot. Then as soon as you move the aircraft it's going to change dramatically and constantly so I'm sure there will be plenty of arguments to be made when it's in question. So sadly that leaves it up to the public both on our part and enforcement wise and in both cases that's going to cause issues I'm sure. First police not all but a lot are already on a power trip and whether picked on young or little man syndrome or whatever will surely think their words law and if they believe your at this altitude it's true. On the other hand idiot pilots like those causing these issues will be quick to see the highest point and say I'm not 400 feet above it. So what is our best bet now that this issue could make or break the hobby with all these stories I just don't want to be grounded is all.
Well, first of all 'Police' do not have jurisdiction unless the city/county have a local law written regarding RC aircraft. At that point, it will be a question of whether you are flying or not, and not the actual altitude. As a law enforcement officer my self, I will tell you that any local law enforcement officer will need an actual written state/city law to enforce, and can not enforce Federal Law. 2nd, the 400' limit as proposed by the FAA is a recommendation at this point and not an actual 'law'. But it is one that I would encourage all to follow until the new regulations are passed.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Well, first of all 'Police' do not have jurisdiction unless the city/county have a local law written regarding RC aircraft. At that point, it will be a question of whether you are flying or not, and not the actual altitude. As a law enforcement officer my self, I will tell you that any local law enforcement officer will need an actual written state/city law to enforce, and can not enforce Federal Law. 2nd, the 400' limit as proposed by the FAA is a recommendation at this point and not an actual 'law'. But it is one that I would encourage all to follow until the new regulations are passed.

But whether or not legally they are supposed to be enforcing these things or not if they are called they will respond and like with atx you will be required to go to court, missing work alone is as bad as a ticket worse really. But this has gotten totally off topic I've seen this debate played out and see both sides guess wel just have to hope that people don't do things that they aren't supposed to on both sides.

Self Deleted .. I'm a much bigger person than my response demonstrated.

If going slow you'll hit the fence but if your going fast Rth will trigger. Really it's their only option or solo could be automatically flying illegally I'd think. If your max is 400 than its dangerously close to or past being illegal so it makes sense for it to drop some and Rth is the only easy way for that to happen really. Depending on where your at compared to the ground your likley either above or below that 400 unless your field is level since its measuring from your home spot. I try to keep about 20 feet or better below my fence just to avoid any more of these bad press "drone" stories or any legal issues even if their unlikely for now. Not trying to preach or anything I'm actually curious myself.

I mean from the top of my hill 400 feet is much different and I know the police copter that flies past my place every night would hit me they are probably only up a couple hundred feet anyway it goes usually.

I understand what ya mean by it being annoying and I'm not trying to be preachy at all but please try to avoid being higher than 400 for everybody here's sake. These stories latley about the terrible, privacy stealing, kitten killing, baby stealing drones are going to get us all restricted or banned if we're not careful.lol

Thanks
Safe flying and welcome to the forum there's tons of experienced folks with a lot of good info here.

I think the smart thing to do is to set your max alt. at a height that's less than the ceiling.

Totally agreed with lowered ceiling really how much difference can you see between 350 and 400 feet. Now you made me curious about you previous post.
I think the smart thing to do is to set your max alt. at a height that's less than the ceiling.

As seen on the news "Police" here in Cincinnati and those other areas are a bit different in what they will and won't do legally or not.

As stated in my first response, it even did it when I had a low ceiling set. I don't usually take it up to 400 which is why I had the low ceiling programmed in. Having been flying for quite some time now and even having built quads (the Solo is my foray back into RTF) this is the first of 8 different ones that has this issue.

As to the legality of exceeding 400', I have no issues with staying below that and even support a max legal ceiling. We MUST help spread the word to the NOOBs about safety. We also must help people understand that these are NOT peeping Tom devices. In the video posted (flying at Pismo beach) I even sacrificed a lot of potential footage by showing people what our view is and how close we must be to get any detail on people. I even showed how at 15' alt and 10' distance we were ants on the monitor and the quad could be clearly seen and heard. (Alt and distance based on roof line of single story house and someone not being too far from house laying out).

As far as cops.....there's good and bad in ANY field. But if you think driving while black is an issue, try driving a semi. Certain jurisdictions target us as a revenue source and will make up stuff because it costs us so much more to fight the ticket than pay it. I could tell you some serious stories about abuse by small town police departments.

Can't say on either count I'm not African American nor do I drive a semi but I do know the police around here do what they please more times than not. Only place I don't just wait for them to show when I fly is my home cause I know it's just about when, not if it's going to happen, when it does I'll post how it goes.

As to the original question, I have flown to my altitude ceiling a few times and my Solo has never RTH, it simply will not climb any higher.
This was with both the default ceiling and after changing it to 398 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela