Where's My Gimbal 3DR

Reaction score
Please Bear with me i'm a little upset at the fact that this has now started to cost me money.

Here's the deal, I ordered a solo with gimbal back on the Dec 31st for an up coming job 20%off sale 2day shipping, called in on the Jan 4th to finish the order up and was told the system had not updated my Quote to an order yet so they could not take my payment. So the following day I call and pay for solo/Gimbal and get online to check my email for a receipt and don't have one. I check my bank account and it shows 3dr has taken/put a hold on the funds so I call back and asked about a receipt and the guy tells me we will just send it with the box solo and the gimbal come in. I then ask the guy for a Fedex tracking number and he tells me it won't ship until the 8th or so because they are doing inventory and i'm thinking no big deal I can deal with that.

On the 13th get Solo (Sexy little beast she is BTW) Just in time for a big job in Park City Utah (Skiing video type stuff) So I open the box and pull everything out and the Gimbal is not in the box. I call 3dr and the rep gets right on it and sends me a email back stating (see below)

This is xxxxxxxxxx from 3DR hope you are doing well, In regards our conversation I've created a new sales order for the missing item (Solo Gimbal) and expedite the order to ship as soon is possible. reference order number: xxxxx. I'll send you the tracking number once I receive it.
I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.
Thank You! Have an excellent day

Being a little bummed about not having the gimbal I was very grateful that the rep had fixed the issue and the gimbal would be sent out expedite, I sent him a email (see below)

Thanks for the email, Will this be shipping out today (overnight)..

He stated yes asap overnight

On the 14th later in the evening I checked my email for a tracking # and did see one so I called 3dr again to see what was going on, I was told (well I see a shipping tag has been made but that's it rep puts me on hold to check into it) when he comes back he says they will try to ship it tonight but it's probably too late to make it today..

Friday The 15th
Getting a little worried about the Job in Park City in 30 hrs I call 3dr early and ask what is going on with the shipment, The female rep tells me it will be going out Fedex today for overnight Saturday delivery and she would send me a tracking number.

So it's now Sat, I have paid for 5 day passes to Park City over 500 Dollars ..And i'm sitting home waiting for MY GIMBAL that 3DR SAID WAS SHIPPING OUT OVERNIGHT that I still have no tracking info on..

SO the Question is.. WTH is going on 3dr???

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the mix up and promised dates.
Do you have other MRs you are currently filming with or did you book a paying job before you had a working MR in hand? Do you already have experience with the Solo or are you going to learn it on the job?
Just curious. Hope the Gimbal is on it's way for you.

I have been flying for few years, first a Parrot that got me interested in the possibilities of areal Videography ect then I invested in a system that could lift a full frame DSLR and used it for a year until it met a power line that we didn't see. Very expensive day!

As for the client, the job is a sundance film festival thing per se and has very little to do with areal. None the less it was told I would have it in hand so I set everything up so we could shoot today.. and that is Time and Money.

If you are close to a Best Buy, maybe you could purchase a gimbal by itself, and then when you receive the 3DR shipment, just return it.
Be aware though, the Solo is not ready right out of the box. There are software updates that take time to install and the gimbal may have some vibration issues with the OEM HDMI cable. Even an experienced pilot needs some time to adjust to the Solo controller and the tablet app. There's lots of info not in the manual that has been addressed in this forums.
Good luck with your job. Next time, you might want to have a back-up plan.

Reactions: Jubalr
I'll admit 3DR's order processing is a bit less than entirely smooth. Any time I've ordered stuff, it always takes a while to be fulfilled and order status communication is hit or miss. I never received a ship confirmation for my Solo, and in fact, when I check my account, the order is still listed as "processing" - this was from last August!.

That all said, you should never book a job without having the gear on hand, checked and ready to go. It'd be one thing to just need to order a lens, memory card or other standard item, but a drone you've never used before and that comes in separate components?

I do a lot of work in the advertising industry, and it's absurd how common it's become to wait until the very last second for stuff. I've gotten calls on Saturday mornings for work due 1st thing Monday - work that would take 2+ weeks at minimum to execute even remotely well. Sorry for the rant... it's just turning the industry into a sweat shop.

Please Bear with me i'm a little upset at the fact that this has now started to cost me money.

Here's the deal, I ordered a solo with gimbal back on the Dec 31st for an up coming job 20%off sale 2day shipping, called in on the Jan 4th to finish the order up and was told the system had not updated my Quote to an order yet so they could not take my payment. So the following day I call and pay for solo/Gimbal and get online to check my email for a receipt and don't have one. I check my bank account and it shows 3dr has taken/put a hold on the funds so I call back and asked about a receipt and the guy tells me we will just send it with the box solo and the gimbal come in. I then ask the guy for a Fedex tracking number and he tells me it won't ship until the 8th or so because they are doing inventory and i'm thinking no big deal I can deal with that.

On the 13th get Solo (Sexy little beast she is BTW) Just in time for a big job in Park City Utah (Skiing video type stuff) So I open the box and pull everything out and the Gimbal is not in the box. I call 3dr and the rep gets right on it and sends me a email back stating (see below)

This is xxxxxxxxxx from 3DR hope you are doing well, In regards our conversation I've created a new sales order for the missing item (Solo Gimbal) and expedite the order to ship as soon is possible. reference order number: xxxxx. I'll send you the tracking number once I receive it.

Being a little bummed about not having the gimbal I was very grateful that the rep had fixed the issue and the gimbal would be sent out expedite, I sent him a email (see below)

On the 14th later in the evening I checked my email for a tracking # and did see one so I called 3dr again to see what was going on, I was told (well I see a shipping tag has been made but that's it rep puts me on hold to check into it) when he comes back he says they will try to ship it tonight but it's probably too late to make it today..

Friday The 15th
Getting a little worried about the Job in Park City in 30 hrs I call 3dr early and ask what is going on with the shipment, The female rep tells me it will be going out Fedex today for overnight Saturday delivery and she would send me a tracking number.

So it's now Sat, I have paid for 5 day passes to Park City over 500 Dollars ..And i'm sitting home waiting for MY GIMBAL that 3DR SAID WAS SHIPPING OUT OVERNIGHT that I still have no tracking info on..

Hi,

I'm very sorry for that. Can you email me the order number? [email protected] I'll get to the bottom of this.

Friday The 15th

So what happened with this? Did you ever get the gimbal?

Yeah I got the Gimbal and some extra props for the trouble

Once a supervisor took over my issue things went very VERY fast.

Thank you 3DR!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44