when to bring down Solo

JLJ

Reaction score
Guy, I did search and find a few things about this but I am not sure, I am totally new and first copter is the Solo. When should I bring it down, what voltage should the Radio read for me to know it's time to bring it home?

And, normally manufacturers are conservative about this, is there an alarm to let me know when it's time? should I change the parameters and allow the Solo to be flying for longer by changing the Volts at what it would RTH?

Thank You

Guy, I did search and find a few things about this but I am not sure, I am totally new and first copter is the Solo. When should I bring it down, what voltage should the Radio read for me to know it's time to bring it home?

And, normally manufacturers are conservative about this, is there an alarm to let me know when it's time? should I change the parameters and allow the Solo to be flying for longer by changing the Volts at what it would RTH?

Thank You

The Solo will provide haptic feedback when the battery reaches 25%. This is normally when I perform a RTH but some people will run all the way down to 10 to 15%.

Depends distance and height. No answer to this question. I don't fly short range often so I am usually on ground at 30%.

Just fly and build some personal results . I would be trying to land at 25%

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't change anything. I usually land right at about 15%. It starts notifying you at 25%. I believe it will RTH at 5% though I would never take it that far as 5% may not be enough to get home depending on how far you have gone, wind, and the health of the battery. All it takes is one time to emergency land in the wrong place, and it gets real expensive, or worse, so it pays to be conservative.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
Excellent, thank you. I didn't know if would show percentage of battery on the screen, I thought it would show volts.

Another tip is to get Tower (assuming you are on Android) on the same tablet as the Solo app, and connect it simultaneously. Turn on voice alerts, and have them repeat often. It will then speak to you the volts, battery %, rssi, mode changes, alarms, etc. without you having to look at them specifically. I find it very handy.

When I'm "playing" with Solo I will run the battery to about 10% - 7% before landing but I'm very close in proximity and very low in altitude at the 15% mark.

Yea it seems the percentage has to be padded a bit since the manual shows land soon at 10 percent most lipo batts would be getting dangerous at these low levels 4% is pushing it big time even trying to stretch the flight time they can advertise. I usually try to be down or close to it about 15% and be on the ground by 10%. Even if the numbers were adjusted single digit battery percent just makes me nervous especially when flying.

Depends distance and height. No answer to this question. I don't fly short range often so I am usually on ground at 30%.

Just fly and build some personal results . I would be trying to land at 25%

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
when i had my solo i was short distance flying.
when the battery hit 25 percent i would bring it into land.
never had any problems.

below 20% you will not have as much reserve power. I found this out the hard way once, and was coming down a little faster than I wanted.....I goosed the throttle, but it did not have the power I was used to and only slowed down a little. It hit hard and bounced back up before finally landing. No real damage though, but it reminded me that the battery voltage is lower when the battery is getting close to depleted.

Now I start heading home at 25% and make sure I come in slowly.

thank You Guys, very good info for us newbies.

below 20% you will not have as much reserve power. I found this out the hard way once, and was coming down a little faster than I wanted.....I goosed the throttle, but it did not have the power I was used to and only slowed down a little. It hit hard and bounced back up before finally landing. No real damage though, but it reminded me that the battery voltage is lower when the battery is getting close to depleted.

Now I start heading home at 25% and make sure I come in slowly.

It is possible that the problem was not the battery but aerodynamics. There is an effect on helicopters when descending rapidly that reduces the power of the blades. I've had it happen to me. Now I try to slow down my decent well above 10-15 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks