Waiting for my Solo...New Owner to be

Reaction score
I ordered a Solo during the Amazon Prime sale, $599 with gimbal. It has not shipped yet, but I expect in a week or two. It's my 8 year anniversary present from my wife because she got sick of me talking about it I guess! I am lucky!

I have been driving RC cars and rock crawlers for many years. I have been practicing with a Traxxas Alias and other small quads for the last few years. I have been looking at Solo and Phantoms since they have been available. I have been researching and reading everything I could for the last several years.

I chose the Solo in this case due to the low cost and having a GoPro 3+ Black already. I am very excited to get it, register it, update it, and get flying!

Thanks everyone here for all the great info and ideas. --Tom

Reactions: bluesgeek
I did the same Tom and am anxiously waiting and waiting. Not sure why they put the long delivery time on this deal. I have been scared they will not honor the deal but feel a little better that the price has crashed in several vendor offerings making ours still the best deal but not that much better than the others. I held back ordering my spare battery, leg extensions, and filter kit till now fearful that if the bird doesn't show up I'll be stuck with them. Prime is great with returns so I stuck my neck out.

I have been consumed by this and other Forums and as pyrate has suggested I have watched all the 3DR vids, some several times. Even downloaded the B4UFly app. One VERY SCARY aspect of all this pre-ownership exposure has been the many, many, disasters that have been reported. I (and hopefully rightfully so) have made up my mind that the great majority of these issues were as a result of newbies like me going off half cocked without following all of the excellently presented preflight guidelines. I plan to take this advice and start out very slowly in a very BIG space taking baby steps until I gain the confidence required to be successful but not oblivious to the fact that there will be challenges ahead. My biggest concern is the conventional wisdom that leans toward 3DR bailing out on the Solo Community to jump into the grown up market.

I cut my teeth wearing out a U818A HD I got last Christmas. I know, a long way from the Solo, but it did teach me the basics and convinced me I wanted to move up. Dear, dear, dear, will the UPS driver ever show up???

Reactions: 1tom2go and SARDG
Going to be a lot of disappointed folks if Amazon can't deliver on that deal... We shall see.

Reactions: 1tom2go
Going to be a lot of disappointed folks if Amazon can't deliver on that deal... We shall see.
Well... that being said, I just checked my email and found that my Prime card was just charged for that Solo deal I ordered on 12 July. Not yet shipped, but I now have real hope.

Woo Hoo! Thanks for the heads up SARDG. I just checked and my card was charged today as well and checking my Prime account I see the order status changed to an expected On Time Delivery showing the Ship Date as Aug 3. Hoping for Aug 5 delivery so it will surely rain all weekend.

I did the same Tom and am anxiously waiting and waiting. Not sure why they put the long delivery time on this deal. I have been scared they will not honor the deal but feel a little better that the price has crashed in several vendor offerings making ours still the best deal but not that much better than the others. I held back ordering my spare battery, leg extensions, and filter kit till now fearful that if the bird doesn't show up I'll be stuck with them. Prime is great with returns so I stuck my neck out.

I have been consumed by this and other Forums and as pyrate has suggested I have watched all the 3DR vids, some several times. Even downloaded the B4UFly app. One VERY SCARY aspect of all this pre-ownership exposure has been the many, many, disasters that have been reported. I (and hopefully rightfully so) have made up my mind that the great majority of these issues were as a result of newbies like me going off half cocked without following all of the excellently presented preflight guidelines. I plan to take this advice and start out very slowly in a very BIG space taking baby steps until I gain the confidence required to be successful but not oblivious to the fact that there will be challenges ahead. My biggest concern is the conventional wisdom that leans toward 3DR bailing out on the Solo Community to jump into the grown up market.

I cut my teeth wearing out a U818A HD I got last Christmas. I know, a long way from the Solo, but it did teach me the basics and convinced me I wanted to move up. Dear, dear, dear, will the UPS driver ever show up???

I agree about being concerned about some things you mentioned. I am also worried about the flyaway or other issues that all quads have had. I purchased a Flytrex (Hasn't shipped yet either) so hopefully I stand a chance in finding it. I had a fly away on a small quad that was caused by wind and me being an idiot. I found it at dusk because it had blinking lights 1/2 mile away. I've learned a lot flying the little quads and park flyers!

I also feel that 3DR has stepped away from the hobby consumer. I could be wrong because I think most people get decent customer service. When the price started dropping on Solo's that's when I decided that the company or Solo's value had declined. That's not a good sign unless you're releasing Solo 2. I guess at this rate we can buy spares for $300 in 6 months from now.

But on that note I have been a huge fan since I first read about the Solo and I am proud to have one and will learn it inside and out and have lots of fun with it.

Well... that being said, I just checked my email and found that my Prime card was just charged for that Solo deal I ordered on 12 July. Not yet shipped, but I now have real hope.

They haven't charged my account yet...but hopefully soon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig