Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

Ran out to do some quick testing before dark. I have never been able to get past ~1650ft in my area with my existing modifications. It's very Wifi congested. I didn't nudge Solo out for max distance. Screenshot the moment I got RTH. As you can see I still had 1 bar left, although in the process of fiddling with the Android screenshot, I knocked out the detailed view.

I got 2553ft by adding this soft mod to my existing setup.

Screenshot_2015-08-25-19-59-02.jpg

Screenshot_2015-08-25-20-03-17.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-25-19-59-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-25-19-59-02.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2015-08-25-20-03-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-25-20-03-17.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 9
I've seen 2 Solo's go over a mile with this mod and the FrSky antenna. Obviously if I'm asked to repeat that in court, I never did. ;)

Oddly enough 1 ALFA with 1 FrSky seems to work good as well (a little better than 2 x FrSky).

Does anyone have a link to the FrSky? I'm going to try the mod tonight and was thinking about ordering an attena as well.

Also, has anyone posted a how to for the wifi card mod? What to use and how to do it.

<------Non geek here!

I am more than interested in making this modification. I change the antenna 2 by a Alpha and achieve a more stable connection. But if this actually further enhances the connectivity I would like to try. Worth it?

I am more than interested in making this modification. I change the antenna 2 by a Alpha and achieve a more stable connection. But if this actually further enhances the connectivity I would like to try. Worth it?
This mod will work with any antenna, so give it a go and post your results.

Reactions: brunoferreiro
Ironically this was done on a Mac, running windows LOL.

See video description there's some Mac advice in there.

Reactions: z3r01
Went out to my normal spot in my rural area and got out to 2600" at 250' altitude. I still had 3 bars. I shot off to the right to follow the train tracks which is out of my line of sight due to trees.

I was bringing it back towards me but following the tracks which are south of me. Never got less than 2 bars even behind the trees. Before I would of had no bars coming back down the tracks. I would say it is a definite improvement. Thanks Ian for a great tutorial and mod!

Reactions: Ian [P13]
OK! mod completed, new alpha antenna installed, insulation GPS Ready! Test this morning and see what happens! I hope to have a good video to post for the evening, while still waiting for the gimbal

Thanks for taking the time to make the video on the Mod. I have been thinking about doing this. You deserve many free Pints for your video effort

So if 6/11 are jammed in an urban area the mode will choose an alternate pair. Any info on how the default choice is made? .

The Solo will aim to choose channels with the least noise I'd imagine, so it could end up being any pair, I think I posted somewhere in this thread a way you can bias the decision the Solo makes.

Reactions: VideoArch
For those asking if this works on a mac.

I just logged into my controller from a terminal session on my mac and it works fine.

Just type:
ssh [email protected] then enter the password.

Also did the same thing from my Raspberry PI and it worked fine too. Any ssh client should connect no problem at all.

Visited a usual flying location. The best range with only Alfa antennae was 4600 feet. Today with the same Alfa antennae AND wifi software mod was 6200 feet (about a 25% increase). I did notice video feed on my iPad was a bit more choppy than normal even before RTH.

Something I think is worth mentioning here:

When i disconnect my phone and then connect my Macbook Pro to the SoloLink wifi, it actually never "connects". However, I am able to connect to the solo so it must be connected in some way

solo_noWifi.png

Something I think is worth mentioning here:

When i disconnect my phone and then connect my Macbook Pro to the SoloLink wifi, it actually never "connects". However, I am able to connect to the solo so it must be connected in some way

View attachment 960
That may just mean that the mac has network connectivity but not external internet connectivity. Either way, it's a 'mac' thing and nothing to do with SoloLink ( I think ;) )

finally got to test my confi mod in a non congested area. wow, got over 2000 feet out 200 feet high and still had three bars. Could barely see the thing, I think I am good with this. Maybe add the frsky antennas. Did have a strange connection problem after using follow me though. Had to reboot everything to get it back to working. This mod is awesome
And pretty easy with the video

That may just mean that the mac has network connectivity but not external internet connectivity. Either way, it's a 'mac' thing and nothing to do with SoloLink ( I think ;) )

Yup I know, and yes it's because there is no internet connectivity. Just wanted anyone who is trying this on a Mac and doesn't understand why their laptop won't connect to the Solo, to actually go ahead and SSH to it and see that it indeed works.

Also it wasn't just the "<!>" in the icon (suggesting lack of internet connectivity) but actually just kept doing the "connecting" animation before this (and before I took the screenshot)

Yup I know, and yes it's because there is no internet connectivity. Just wanted anyone who is trying this on a Mac and doesn't understand why their laptop won't connect to the Solo, to actually go ahead and SSH to it and see that it indeed works.

Also it wasn't just the "<!>" in the icon (suggesting lack of internet connectivity) but actually just kept doing the "connecting" animation before this (and before I took the screenshot)
Mine just did the same thing 5 mins ago. I connected to SoloLink but my mac wifi icon in the menu bar up top was still animating like it was finding networks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks