Video Modes Combo Idea

Reaction score
The other day I was thinking about our video modes (Cable cam, orbit, follow me...) they are awesome, they work like a charm yet I cannot make one shot combining two, three or four modes (I suppose I would have to do it on post process) I'm not a cinematographer, never done any serious post process, but I can work cable cam and if I could do a Cable cam + orbit + cable cam in other direction that would stream line the whole thing a lot more.

I was thinking some like a macro excecution of the video modes after you do all the settings just press play and the Solo will excecute all the video modes in combo, I believe is possible to do it I mean the functionality exists (tower waypoint)

I agrer6, it's a natural thing to want. Maybe we can Ina future verdion.

Like any application when first viewed, there's a certain learning curve to understand the tools. Been playing with Tower since about June and it will do most anything you want if your interested in learning it's logic for setting missions. I was actually amazed at the levels of control it offers. Within a few days I was able to put together some complex missions. Missions with multiple ROI, elevation changes, waypoints, circles, you name it...all in one mission.

Sure it would be nice if Tower was fully implemented into the Solo app. However, I'd prefer Tower to stand apart and be enhanced further for the entire 3DR community to enjoy - DIY or RTF platforms. Maybe we should give Tower an option to be the pro version app for Solo.

Like any application when first viewed, there's a certain learning curve to understand the tools. Been playing with Tower since about June and it will do most anything you want if your interested in learning it's logic for setting missions. I was actually amazed at the levels of control it offers. Within a few days I was able to put together some complex missions. Missions with multiple ROI, elevation changes, waypoints, circles, you name it...all in one mission.

Sure it would be nice if Tower was fully implemented into the Solo app. However, I'd prefer Tower to stand apart and be enhanced further for the entire 3DR community to enjoy - DIY or RTF platforms. Maybe we should give Tower an option to be the pro version app for Solo.

I don't know anything about tower, but could it have Solo fly to a designated point, execute an orbit smart shot at a predetermined altitude, then RTH?

I don't know anything about tower, but could it have Solo fly to a designated point, execute an orbit smart shot at a predetermined altitude, then RTH?
I have not tried this with Tower in real life, but have executed exactly that in the simulation with Tower. Tower seems very deep, and I've built a few missions that I want to try if the weather would cooperate on a weekend. It does allow for multiple actions at a specific waypoint; click/hold the waypoint at the bottom of the screen to open the dropdown options in the upper right corner.

Reactions: Maddog
Yes. The only caveat is that it has to maintain controller contact. Otherwise you'll have to change parameters within Solo to fly beyond that limit.

Yes. The only caveat is that it has to maintain controller contact. Otherwise you'll have to change parameters within Solo to fly beyond that limit.

Wow- that is incredible!

So you could program it to have a Solo fly to a building, for example, orbit & film it, then return on its own?

Oops- looks like I asked the same question 2 different ways.. :-(

Last edited:
Yes it can, and a lot more.

Leviathan18, Your prayers are answered with Tower. No... Really.... It can do everything you asked for and quite a bit more. It can not only automate between two points, then an orbit, then two more points, but between many points, and the orbit again, etc. it also has a function called "spline waypoints" that I have learned to love, that allows you to set the Solo up to follow curved lines, rather than just straight lines between points. And a ton more, like mapping and 3D modeling. Can you tell I love Tower?

It currently only runs on Android. It is shy on documentation, and therefore is intimidating to start, but once you get going it is really, REALLY, amazing. And it is made by, and supported by 3DR.

Several on the forum here use it and you can get questions answered here. You can also look for useful information about "DroidPlanner" and "MissionPlanner" which are OSX/PC based applications that are similar in many respects (especially "mission" functions). They are great by themselves for looking at log files, but work similarly with regard to "missions" and so much of the info is transferable.

You can get started here.

Tower | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

Because tower runs on android devices would I need one to use with the Solo controller instead of my iPad mini 3?
Sorry about all the questions but I'm really intrigued by the possibilities!!

Because tower runs on android devices would I need one to use with the Solo controller instead of my iPad mini 3?
Sorry about all the questions but I'm really intrigued by the possibilities!!
No trouble.

Yes. Unfortunately. People have asked repeatedly about IOS, but as I understand it, there are limitations on what the OS will let them do without "jail breaking" the device. Apple is supposed to be loosening that and changing how some things are done, so it may come on IOS, but no idea when. I heard the same thing from the maker of the WiFi analyzer (another great Android app) and he told me not to hold my breath waiting for Apple. He made a version of his app for IOS, but it only works when the device is jail broken.

The Nexus 7 is less than $200 on Amazon :). That is where I got mine.

No trouble.

Yes. Unfortunately. People have asked repeatedly about IOS, but as I understand it, there are limitations on what the OS will let them do without "jail breaking" the device. Apple is supposed to be loosening that and changing how some things are done, so it may come on IOS, but no idea when. I heard the same thing from the maker of the WiFi analyzer (another great Android app) and he told me not to hold my breath waiting for Apple. He made a version of his app for IOS, but it only works when the device is jail broken.

The Nexus 7 is less than $200 on Amazon :). That is where I got mine.

Thank you for the info- now more reading to do! :)

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
OK, I've read through the documentation, designed missions on my tab, and run them on the tab. I cannot get Tower to connect to the Solo, regardless of which method I select. Is there a combination I'm just not getting?
Make sure 3DR services is running. Make sure tablet is connected to Sololink. Change connection type in Tower to UDP. Hit connect. Let me know.

Do you need to use the 3dr radios to use tower? One plugged into your tablet, the other on Solo?

Do you need to use the 3dr radios to use tower? One plugged into your tablet, the other on Solo?
No. If you have Android and Solo you have all you need. Make sure you have 3dr services. It should download with Solo app. Make sure it is running.

Ok, thanks. Tower is still in the future for me. Just got my gimbal today- lots to learn about filming with it, etc. before I move onto tower.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Ok, thanks. Tower is still in the future for me. Just got my gimbal today- lots to learn about filming with it, etc. before I move onto tower.
You might just get it and hook it up just for the voice alerts. And not run missions for now. Turn All the voice alerts on. It will update you of a lot of things. And you can get used to the jargon it uses.

Reactions: Maddog and RichWest
You might just get it and hook it up just for the voice alerts. And not run missions for now. Turn All the voice alerts on. It will update you of a lot of things. And you can get used to the jargon it uses.

That's a good idea! I just need to wait until I can afford an android tablet. How many GB does the Nexus 7 need to run tower? Need wi-fi or anything else?

Found a refurbished 16 GB on Amazon for just over $100.

You can run it at the same time as Solo app. Good to take a glimpse while running Solo. Breaks you in without risk :)
That's a good idea! I just need to wait until I can afford an android tablet. How many GB does the Nexus 7 need to run tower? Need wi-fi or anything else?

Found a refurbished 16 GB on Amazon for just over $100.
nexus 7 has GPS and wifi. Runs Solo and Tower perfect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44