USP to Solo Charger?

Reaction score
Or even USB to car charger...now that I have your attention.........

I drive a 2014 Mazda 3 and I love the hell out of it! It sports no cigarette lighters, but puts maximum power to two USB ports.

Any of you Einstein's cop to a way to put the juice through the USB port to the Solo battery charger? Or is another in-car method reliable and safe? This is important as hell! I'm going to need to go on the road, and to the hinterland at that, if I every want to fly this bird again!

I haven't flown my rig since 12-6-15...In T-Town, it is either raining or freezing, or the wind is blowing 40+ MPH every day of the world. A drone is like a convertible in this town... only about 10 days/year when you can enjoy it. :)

Hmmm... not sure, as I'm not an expert, but I don't think you'll be able to do this. Most USB ports run 500mAh or 1A, at best. Most Cigarette ports seem to have a 15Amp fuse associated to them, making them capable of delivering a LOT more power down the line. Even with that ability, you need a decent converter to juice anything serious with that. The Solo batts would need a pretty hefty constant draw in order to effectively charge, I would think.

On my BMW, the cig lighter port stays active without the car running, allowing me to charge things without wasting gas. I love that, but have gotten bit by that a time or two when I forgot to unplug something and came out the next morning to a dead battery.

Hmmm... not sure, as I'm not an expert, but I don't think you'll be able to do this. Most USB ports run 500mAh or 1A, at best. Most Cigarette ports seem to have a 15Amp fuse associated to them, making them capable of delivering a LOT more power down the line. Even with that ability, you need a decent converter to juice anything serious with that. The Solo batts would need a pretty hefty constant draw in order to effectively charge, I would think.
Thanks for the input.

According to my owner's manual, I apparently DO have a 12V accessory socket! I've never had occasion to use it and have never seen the thing. It must be hidden way down in the console somewhere.

Not that that will let me charge a Solo battery, as you say....

No, but you can get a power inverter and hook it to the 12v, and then plug your chargers into the inverter. I'd get like a 400 watt (or higher) inverter.

No, but you can get a power inverter and hook it to the 12v, and then plug your chargers into the inverter. I'd get like a 400 watt (or higher) inverter.
I don't think a 12v power port will support a 400W inverter. You will either have to hard wire (with fusing) directly to the battery, OR use battery clamps and only hook up when needed.

I have my inverter in the trunk wired in, it works fine
there are also portable jump starters that are nothing more than portable batteries and they work too

I have a 2000w inverter in my truck, and boy, does it come in handy. I can charge all my Solo gear as well as hook up my pellet grill to it and cook lunch while waiting to fly again.

Yeah, it sure makes the battery charging time a little more pleasant....:). I also try to limit my adult beverages during that time. Like driving, I don't fly with even a buzz.

Inverters work awesome for charging batteries. Ensure that it is a Pure Sine wave one though. Your not supposed to charge batteries off the cheap shitty ones! Granted its never "pure" sine wave but the pure sine wave inverters have more filtering to smooth out the ripple. Then the Solo charger should clean it up again. 300watt-400w should be plenty and you can use it off the cigarette lighter port or "Acc" port. I don't think the inverter is going to suck that many amps from the car though... maybe 5a. I could sit down and do ohms law but i dont feel like it. lol. Just dont forget it on, or yup, your car will go "click click click" when you try to start it.

Reactions: peppys
I know a lot of people recommend a pure sine wave inverter, but I have never had a problem with my modified sine wave inverter. I got it due to the pure sine wave inverters added cost. Also, I went with a 2000w just to have one for different applications if needed. Having a diesel truck with 2 batteries also helps....

I know a lot of people recommend a pure sine wave inverter, but I have never had a problem with my modified sine wave inverter. I got it due to the pure sine wave inverters added cost. Also, I went with a 2000w just to have one for different applications if needed. Having a diesel truck with 2 batteries also helps....

Well sort of ya, the reason you have 2 batteries in the diesel is cause the engine requires so much jam to turn over! :) But as we say in the electronics business...Do you want it cheap? or do you want it to work?

I know the diesel engine takes 2 batteries to crank it. I was just referring to the fact that I can run my inverter without a lot of worry about running my truck batteries down. I opted for more wattage in my inverter and paying less than a pure sine inverter just for the convenience of running power tools if needed. I have never had any problem with any electronic device charged with my inverter. Knock on wood.....:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks