Tower 101

Reaction score
So, for a very simple first Tower flight do I understand correctly that one could just:

1.Set 3 or 4 waypoints
2. Upload to Solo
3. Take off manually
4. Initiate autonomous flight
5. Solo flys to the waypoints created
6. When done, land manually​

That's how it worked when I was using Tower with my other PixHawk hexacopter. I haven't tried it with Solo yet so I don't even know how to connect Tower to the Solo or upload the waypoints but it should be pretty straightforward.

So, for a very simple first Tower flight do I understand correctly that one could just:

1.Set 3 or 4 waypoints
2. Upload to Solo
3. Take off manually
It really is that easy...Set yourself a return to point as your last waypoint. Once completed you could run the mission until another mission is uploaded.

As suggested in the Tower related thread, clear the uploaded mission from the Solo once completed or no longer needed. This is just precautionary while your learn how Tower works. To clear a mission, go in to edit mode and select all the waypoints seen and then delete all waypoints, then upload to Solo. This is supposed to clear any resident mission waypoints within Solo.

I was hoping from your thread title that you had created a Tower 101 guide....;(

1.Set 3 or 4 waypoints
2. Upload to Solo
3. Take off manually
Yes that's it. Just make sure you edit the altitude of your waypoints :)

It's a good idea not to take off or land as part of an Auto mission, so that part is good. But when you say take off "manually" that implies taking off without GPS.

Taking off manually (without GPS), and then switching to GPS once in the air, is something I've always done for safety. In the old days (i.e. 4 months ago), a GPS glitch could send your quad slinging sideways just a few feet off the ground, inevitably in the worst possible direction (toward nearest human, tree or boulder). But with the Solo, after the first firmware update, I've been growing more and more confident in taking off in GPS mode. For the last couple weeks I've been doing it every time. This is a new habit for me, but a lot easier - especially in windy conditions.

So my personal opinion is to change steps 3 and 6 to take off and land in "GPS Assisted" mode instead of "manually."

I was hoping from your thread title that you had created a Tower 101 guide....;(

;) Assuming I'm able to "master" Tower (not rocket science from what I'm seeing) I may endeavor to do something like that. Even the simplest concept can seem pretty vague until you're gone through the steps.

Reactions: dougsymington
Yes that's it. Just make sure you edit the altitude of your waypoints :)

Good point. In fact, I've set the waypoint altitudes WAY above the highest tree around here to be safe-- and there's lots of trees! I'll give it a go next chance I get.

It's a good idea not to take off or land as part of an Auto mission, so that part is good. But when you say take off "manually" that implies taking off without GPS.

Taking off manually (without GPS), and then switching to GPS once in the air, is something I've always done for safety. In the old days (i.e. 4 months ago), a GPS glitch could send your quad slinging sideways just a few feet off the ground, inevitably in the worst possible direction (toward nearest human, tree or boulder). But with the Solo, after the first firmware update, I've been growing more and more confident in taking off in GPS mode. For the last couple weeks I've been doing it every time. This is a new habit for me, but a lot easier - especially in windy conditions.

So my personal opinion is to change steps 3 and 6 to take off and land in "GPS Assisted" mode instead of "manually."

Yeah, I should have said takeoff on my own using GPS-- not by using takeoff/land waypoints in Tower. Manual having another meaning altogether in Solospeak.

Even though Tower may handle takeoffs just fine it just makes more sense to me to do the GPS assist takeoff, get a feel for how everything's working, then hand it off to Tower.

I've grown pretty confident with "Press Fly to takeoff" as well.

Yeah, I should have said takeoff on my own using GPS-- not by using takeoff/land waypoints in Tower. Manual having another meaning altogether in Solospeak.

Even though Tower may handle takeoffs just fine it just makes more sense to me to do the GPS assist takeoff, get a feel for how everything's working, then hand it off to Tower.

I've grown pretty confident with "Press Fly to takeoff" as well.
So I take off, fly up close by to my first way point, and then start the mission. Don't know about Solo, but on my Iris+ that always helps ensure a smooth start to the mission - and gives me a chance to see if its flying well, if the battery is holding, etc.

;) Assuming I'm able to "master" Tower (not rocket science from what I'm seeing) I may endeavor to do something like that. Even the simplest concept can seem pretty vague until you're gone through the steps.
I played with Tower quite a bit prior to receiving my Solo-G and now two revision later it just gets better... For those that don't understand Tower just yet, the ability to add a continuous set of waypoints (actions) like circle, survey, speed, height, multi-ROI in one long mission is fairly amazing. The difficulty is planning the various waypoints through out a timeline or attempt to re-order the waypoint or actions. Still a little buggie in the GUI re-order function, i.e. click and drag the timeline items to a new order.

My bird is grounded at the moment, so I have no ability to play with it in the real world...;(

The new tower update works great. I was able to take pictures and video yesterday. It also shows live view. I was not able to control the gimbal. I guess we can run solo app at the same time to control gimbal.

If you click and drag on the video preview in Tower, you can control the gimbal tilt.

I could fly survey missions with the stationary GoPro bracket, a picture every 2 seconds. How do I do a survey mission with the gimbal?

All,

Hey, I'm a new Solo user. Been flying a P2V+ and a P3Pro for quite some time now. Have done a lot of advanced flying modes with the Phantoms using 3rd party apps, so I'm familiar with the process.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find solid information on how to set up and use the Tower app? I've only got a dozen flights with my Solo so I'm still learning but I think I've got the basics and I'd like to invest my energy in the Tower app instead of the Solo app.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jerry

Hey, I'm looking into this now. For the install it says "Connect the ground station radio", do I need this "GS Radio" to use Tower?

Jerry

Hey, I'm looking into this now. For the install it says "Connect the ground station radio", do I need this "GS Radio" to use Tower?

Jerry
No. Just follow the install. That is for other models. Once you get it installed, you will connect using UDP.
You can set up waypoints, missions without being connected to Solo. You can append a takeoff and landing to the mission but I have always just got Solo in the air, then switched over to auto mode. Same with landing, take it out of auto mode and manual land.....I know I'm getting way ahead of you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle