This could work on Solo

Reaction score
Feiyu Tech Wearable Gimbal for GoPro Hero
FY-WG-blog.png

Here’s the latest product released by Feiyu Tech: the Wearable Gimbal

The Feiyu Tech Wearable GoPro Gimbal (FY-WG) is designed to work with almost any existing GoPro mount that has the 3 prong mount. It also comes with two 1/4″-20 tripod threaded ends so the gimbal can even be attached to a tripod or GoPro pole. It’s a smaller version of the best-selling gimbal (Feiyu Tech G4 GoPro Gimbal).

It weighs in at 188 grams so it’s very lightweight (for reference, the Hero4 Black weighs 152 grams).

Reactions: datalogger
How would you mount that on Solo, doesn't look like it can be mounted upside down?

Looks like GoPro made them pull their video about this.
It looked like an interesting product, would have been nice to see it in action.

Companies like GoPro just hate it when someone promotes their products for free...

Mount angle would not matter, so upside down would be fine. It would mount to the existing GoPro mount on the Solo. Would probably give good 3-axis videos, but no control from Solo. But it would give good horizontal level shots.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: datalogger
Thanks for posting this. It's much lighter and more compact than the Z1 Rider gimbal. I think it would work, but the HDMI cable probably wouldn't reach so you'd have to fly with no feed. Regardless, I'm returning my Z1 and getting this one.

Thanks for posting this. It's much lighter and more compact than the Z1 Rider gimbal. I think it would work, but the HDMI cable probably wouldn't reach so you'd have to fly with no feed. Regardless, I'm returning my Z1 and getting this one.

That's a good point about the HDMI cable. It's way too stiff to allow gimbal to work properly.

For $320 and no tilt control doesn't sound like a good investment unless you only plan on shooting horizontal/level shots. Stability would be nice but the 3DR Gimbal will be here before we know it :)

The initial details looks very interesting, I had looked at their G4 gimbal after buying the H4B. Beyond their website and dealer's, I really could find any user reviews for the G4 product's quality.

Tilt control can be done via a wired remote control. - http://www.feiyu-tech.com/wg.html

Rich, how does a wired tilt remote help when its strapped to the Solo and in the air? Great gimbal if its within arms reach but not for a UAV unless you only plan on filming straight on.

Could be interesting as a top mount camera solution for the Solo.

Under mounts are great for most shots, but sometimes you want to capture a subject that is above the drone. For example, this spring we rigged a DYS on top of an Iris+ so we could cruise through some gorges in the Alps while capturing the craggy mountain peaks that were 5 or 6 thousand meters ABOVE the drone. We also flew under some bridges and got some great footage from below looking up.

As long as you can set the desired tilt before takeoff this could work. It would be ideal to have tilt control during flight, but I can work around that limitation. In the YouTube above, I only see it tilted at 0 degrees (ie straight ahead), but it was just a marketing video.

If there is a wired remote for tilt control, then it's probably possible to mod it to allow a Solo (or any PixHawk based drone) to directly control the tilt - and yaw if the gimbal supports that.

Last edited:
Rich, how does a wired tilt remote help when its strapped to the Solo and in the air? Great gimbal if its within arms reach but not for a UAV unless you only plan on filming straight on.
Because that means we can rip it apart and solder it to a PixHawk and control the tilt - just like other feiyu tech gimbals.

Reactions: SteveMyers75
Like you said previously, 3DR's gimbal will be out shortly... So why bother, besides there are cheaper solution. However as a hand held gimbal for other uses it is very interesting.

@erikgraham - I like the idea of mounting above the bird. You points are valid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44