Thinking of buying a solo

Reaction score
So many horror stories on Solos. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and super happy with it. I would like to buy another drone and at this price point i cant help but wonder. Is it worth it? I am pretty rc inclined mechanically and technically. Can anyime please share some positive things or maybe reassure me that this is a good buy?

So many horror stories on Solos. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and super happy with it. I would like to buy another drone and at this price point i cant help but wonder. Is it worth it? I am pretty rc inclined mechanically and technically. Can anyime please share some positive things or maybe reassure me that this is a good buy?

I bought the Solo because of the price after having flow a couple of Phantom 2s for a while. Having Phantom 2's meant that for me the price was just that: the cost of the Solo. This is because I already had a couple of GoPros that I used with those earlier machines. For others (assuming you want to shoot videos/take pictures) the entry price could be higher if it involves also purchasing a GoPro.

It is a mixed bag. The Solo has a lot more capability than the Phantom (smart shots, computer controlled camera pitch, etc) and there are a lot of mods you can do. Flight time is about the same. I find it to be a little harder to get vibration free video from the GoPro + Solo than when using the Zenmuse gimbal on the Phantom 2. Range is also not as good as I had with the Phantom 2. Controls on the Solo (and "FPV" picture quality) are much better than the Phantom. Solo also is more finicky: sometimes I'll get level error on a perfectly level surface and then it will go away. Or refuse to level calibrate. Sometimes the gimbal won't stay level when banking. I'll then level calibrate the Solo and it will be better for a while.

All that said: I'd do it again. Oops, wrong tense: I *did* it again and now own two.

One other thing: if you are mechanically and technically inclined then this may be just the thing for you as it is very modifiable. You'll see lots of talk of upgrades, (GPS, transmitters, cables, etc) and newer firmware. Tinkering is fun.

It is a mixed bag. The Solo has a lot more capability than the Phantom (smart shots, computer controlled camera pitch, etc) and there are a lot of mods you can do.

Solo had an edge on DJI for a while when it came to smart shots, but DJI really has caught up lately. And when factoring in other advances, like frontal obstacle detection and visual sensors on the bottom, DJI has surpassed Solo. Solo technology is frozen in time to like late 2015, where DJI has continued developing. But it boils down to bang for your buck, and for that you really win with the Solo. I have a Phantom 3 and a Mavic, but I still take my Solo(s) out flying more often.

Reactions: Chun
Solo had an edge on DJI for a while when it came to smart shots, but DJI really has caught up lately. And when factoring in other advances, like frontal obstacle detection and visual sensors on the bottom, DJI has surpassed Solo. Solo technology is frozen in time to like late 2015, where DJI has continued developing. But it boils down to bang for your buck, and for that you really win with the Solo. I have a Phantom 3 and a Mavic, but I still take my Solo(s) out flying more often.
Everything you said is true.
How ever, since owning my mavic, phantom 3,solo,and both Bebop's have sat dormant. May take solo out today, thanks for reminding me of all the smiles it has given me over the past year.

Grown men don't love inanimate objects,but I get what you are saying. Didn't mean to strike a nerve

I still have my DJI P1 and P2 and they are now grounded due to the Solo. I was an early adopter of the Solo since June 2015. Yes my first Solo had some issues but it was easy to correct with upgrades. The newer ones now much better. The newer Solo's I have are rock solid. Plus you can't beat the discounted prices now.

Your going to hear horror stories with any manufacture out there and most issues are pilot error.

Now with Solex this makes the Solo my goto UAV

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44