The Future of the Solo

Reaction score
As I'm on the fence about keeping my Solo or returning it (I REALLY want to keep it, but the camera isn't up to par, so I ordered P3p), I've been thinking about the future of the Solo and what we should be able to expect by this time next year.

1. Will the Solo be obsolete, replaced by v2.0?
2. What official accessories will we have?
3. Will the platform provide for different cameras?
4. Will the GoPro get an official rectilinear lens and provide RAW images?
5. Will 3rd parties jump on the platform and provide things such as prop guards, carbon fiber props, etc?

What do you THINK will happen VS. What do you WISH would happen?

I have the Solo/Hero 4 Black and the P3P but would like to know you don't think the camera is up to par?

I guess I am not willing to say that at this point until the gimbal is out and its running.

My main concern is your #1. I don't think that 3DR will move quick enough developing the product before the hardware is old technology.

Being a professional photographer who shoots stills commercially, here are the few drawbacks of the GoPro...

1. The lack of RAW file support. One can shoot Jpgs in Protune, sure, but it's never going to give you as perfect an image as you'll be able to manipulate with RAW files. What's funny is that Protune can manipulate the videos to a certain degree in post processing, but with JPG stills, it's just not optimal. Great shots can be had, but the effort is so much more.

2. The fisheye lens. I know lots of complaints about this. In GoPro Studio you can digitally remove it, sure, but when shooting any kind of structures it just reverses the fisheye effect. Things may be bowed out originally in the corners, but with "remove fisheye" things will be bowed inward towards the center of the frame. I don't have Adobe Premier yet, but I'm guessing they have more fine-tuned lens corrections. I just wish GoPro would release a new lens. Budgets are strained and it would suck to have to pay another couple hundred $$$ just to get what the P3P supposedly delivers.

I'm probably going to keep the 3DR just for the useful cable cam/orbit features, although that's a lot of dough to be shelling out right now :(

I'm off to a high-profile shoot now. Unfortunately, it's across the street from our city's airport so no flying.

Being a professional photographer who shoots stills commercially, here are the few drawbacks of the GoPro...

1. The lack of RAW file support. One can shoot Jpgs in Protune, sure, but it's never going to give you as perfect an image as you'll be able to manipulate with RAW files. What's funny is that Protune can manipulate the videos to a certain degree in post processing, but with JPG stills, it's just not optimal. Great shots can be had, but the effort is so much more.

2. The fisheye lens. I know lots of complaints about this. In GoPro Studio you can digitally remove it, sure, but when shooting any kind of structures it just reverses the fisheye effect. Things may be bowed out originally in the corners, but with "remove fisheye" things will be bowed inward towards the center of the frame. I don't have Adobe Premier yet, but I'm guessing they have more fine-tuned lens corrections. I just wish GoPro would release a new lens. Budgets are strained and it would suck to have to pay another couple hundred $$$ just to get what the P3P supposedly delivers.

I'm probably going to keep the 3DR just for the useful cable cam/orbit features, although that's a lot of dough to be shelling out right now :(

I'm off to a high-profile shoot now. Unfortunately, it's across the street from our city's airport so no flying.

I don't think the GoPro was ever intended for the Professional market. There are other camera's that meet the Professional demands and they require much bigger and powerful flying platforms than the Solo can provide.
I think you're asking too much from the GoPro.

Just my $.02

Personally I think it is nothing more than guessing who's going to be the next President, who will win the Super Bowl, what will yada, yada, yada. Technology is moving at the speed of light, maybe faster. Gazing into the proverbial crystal ball and trying to decide what will be here even a year from now is futile. If one continues to wait for "the next best thing that's coming", your going to be waiting a very long time. There isn't the machine to end all machines,, it's a continuum and one has to decide when to get on it because every last technological breakthrough will be old stuff next year. It's exciting, can't wait to retire my Solo for what the next cool thing is that comes along. Jus' sayin'

Reactions: Normy norm
Quote "I don't think the GoPro was ever intended for the Professional market."

Agreed, to an extent. Although Solo is great for beautiful photography stills and, one day, gimballed video...a pro shooting commercially should invest in a custom gimballed hex that can handle the payload and range with a high end camera. (Adobe Premier Pro is awesome!)

Forward to 3:55 to see the comparison of a gimballed Hex to current Solo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Being a professional photographer who shoots stills commercially, here are the few drawbacks of the GoPro....

Well I am not qualified to argue this as I am an amateur photographer and not a very good one.

But don't you think the P3P camera has more drawbacks? Keep in mind I love my P3P and its my current favorite aircraft so you are not talking to a solo fanboy :)

It seems to me that on a drone the additional frame rate of the Hero 4 Black along with what seems to be better low light performance out weighs some of the drawbacks.

Not arguing at all. This is a question. I have my doubts with 3DR. It's just that the GoPro camera performance wasn't one of them.

I do agree about post editing the fish eye which is why I have already swapped the lens out.

you can replace your GoPro lens with one from Peau Productions. You eliminate the fish eye and cut your angle of view in half. Of course it still cost money, but if you are talking about high end photography with the Solo/GoPro...

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Personally I think it is nothing more than guessing who's going to be the next President, who will win the Super Bowl, what will yada, yada, yada. Technology is moving at the speed of light, maybe faster. Gazing into the proverbial crystal ball and trying to decide what will be here even a year from now is futile. If one continues to wait for "the next best thing that's coming", your going to be waiting a very long time. There isn't the machine to end all machines,, it's a continuum and one has to decide when to get on it because every last technological breakthrough will be old stuff next year. It's exciting, can't wait to retire my Solo for what the next cool thing is that comes along. Jus' sayin'

+1 and well said! It reminds me of the early computer days. I had a store in Reno in the 80s, and often I would hear people on the fence buying a computer because of the new model they heard about in a few months that is better, faster, cheaper. I always told them they needed to jump in or do without as there will always be something better down the road. Still true today with any technology product..

Reactions: rrmccabe
I am new here ... Solo on order and waiting ... waiting ... waiting. You guys are scaring me! I love to fly, and I love to take pictures. I've been strapping cameras to RC aircraft for a while now. When I discovered 3DR I was immediately enamored with their concept and products. I bought into their marketing and signed up ... I've done lots of reading - lurking - and the one message I am able to take away is no one is using the same measuring stick.

Sharing with the group ... It costs about $600 per hour to put a Robinson R44 in the air. I can mount as many GoPros as I please, and for another $100 per hour I can mount a live photographer. Depending on flight time to destination I may get a 1/2 of actual shooting per one hour mission.

The future of Solo: For the cost of 3 hours of flight time - 1.5 hours of shooting, you can own a tool capable of shooting footage man is incapable of acquiring - never mind "professional" images... the perspective is priceless.

I think Solo should be viewed for what Solo can do, not what one thinks it should do. The creative freedom that comes with a drone is fantastic and at this price level that freedom is attainable.

My 2 cents

Reactions: Normy norm
I said on the Phantom 3 forums that the GoPro was a nice option as you can mount the GoPro on the SOLO, a helmet, a handheld gimbal and take in the water and always achieve the same style footage even though it is fish eyed.

The thing is having used the Phantom 3 for 6 weeks or so I will say the camera is very good and DNG support coupled with less distortion means I have changed my opinion.

I'm hoping GoPro release a Hero with a decent lens that is the same format and compatible with the same mounts including the SOLO gimbal within 12 months and that 3DR get that gimbal released and fix the issues soon otherwise SOLO 1 will possibly have been a big beta test for everyone.

What would perhaps put peoples minds at rest is 3DR releasing some sort of roadmap for 2-3 years demonstrating that the SOLO is a viable platform for that timeframe. Big technology companies do it, so while 3DR will state they need to keep things closer to their chest it never harmed Sony, Canon, HP etc.

My other concern is I had the Phantom 1, and by the time you loaded FPV and a gimbal on there the flight time was 7 minutes. I know 3DR have plans for additional modules, but what will the flight time be when you add their gimbal and perhaps their answer to DJIs VPS etc?

I'm glad in a way that the SOLO is not yet available in the UK as the delay gives me the opportunity to consider the platform a bit longer.

I do want it to succeed though as the concept sounded very interesting a few months back when it was announced.

As for the photography question. Yes it would be great to shoot DNG, but you CAN (not easily) defish the go pro images (stills) with photoshop. It doesn't take very long at all. That being said, I haven't even tried to do so for the video part, but I would think that might take longer, but running a script in Photoshop for the video might actually work as well. (Yes Photoshop can run scripts).

Ryan G

quote:"I'm hoping GoPro release a Hero with a decent lens that is the same format and compatible with the same mounts including the SOLO gimbal within 12 months and that 3DR get that gimbal released and fix the issues soon otherwise SOLO 1 will possibly have been a big beta test for everyone."

A gimballed GoPro on this very durable Solo, coupled with (thus far) unbeatable support is a perfect combination for what I will use the Solo for. I'll be upgrading to a DBS antenna, and a GoPro lens from: http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=124_126_163_128. (You should consider looking over those lenses while you are waiting on GoPro.)
All of that with the latest firmware update makes this Solo a tough hombre and competitor for what I need it for.

I don't think it's reasonable to think that someone in this industry and make solid predictions on what exactly lies ahead of them 3-4 years out, this industry and technology is too dynamic with each week bringing new advancements as David W pointed out above. They can set reasonable goals based on projected consumer needs in regard to where they hope to be and what they hope to provide that far out, but I wouldn't think it realistic to make any promises.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I don't think it's reasonable to think that someone in this industry and make solid predictions on what exactly lies ahead of them 3-4 years out, this industry and technology is too dynamic with each week bringing new advancements as David W pointed out above.

So I said 2-3 years which is absolutely possible to roadmap and any decent company including 3DR and DJI are planning years a head and remember their products are a combination of technology and marketing designed to make us consumers purchase year on year. If either one of them is not working to a roadmap then they're not going to survive in the industry.

What 3DR are promoting with the SOLO is a platform for future expansion, and Sony did something similar with their FE mount cameras in recent years and they have a roadmap of lenses and other accessories to demonstrate to someone adopting that platform that there is longevity in it.

Out of interest what Peau Productions lens are you looking at as I have noticed some are not compatible with GoPros waterproof housing and some have warnings about it puts extra weight on the lens mount so you need their super mount. I guess especially important on something like the SOLO that can introduce vibration etc?

Out of interest what Peau Productions lens are you looking at as I have noticed some are not compatible with GoPros waterproof housing and some have warnings about it puts extra weight on the lens mount so you need their super mount. I guess especially important on something like the SOLO that can introduce vibration etc?

Initially I was looking at the 2.97 but the res is only 5mp, so the 5.4 10 mp looks to be the best choice, because it does not disrupt the gimbal and fits in the case. I haven't road tested any of these for the Hero3+ silver I have yet however.[/QUOTE]

I think the 4.35 looks promising too. I personally think the 5.4 is a little close for me for what we do.

Again just my $.02

Well Rich really likes his 5.4, but I am waiting on that company to send me some samples (basically images of the same thing with stock gopro, 4.35, 5.4. That will tell me which makes the most sense. I think the 5.4 might be just a tad too close for the congested area of properties I want to highlight

Ryan G

To me the 5.4 is much nicer than stock to fly. Looks more life like. Everything looked too far away with the GoPro. So if you are beyond visual and flying FPV it rocks.

But its amplifies all the vibration issues so the gimbal is going to have to be good.

Yeah.. I actually, for me, could care less about the FPV.. I am looking for cinematic shots. :)

Ryan G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl