Stop automatically reverting to GPS flight?

Reaction score
Being a techie, I have no problem with the Solo, the updates, and its software. Checked the GPS revision (B) and added a spacer. So here I am in the living room getting a feel for the real controls. Of course I do not want the thing to crash into the ceiling, so the buttons are assigned, A to Stabilize and B to FLY: Manual. After several little hops, I make the mistake of not correcting the software for changing my settings... I have ordered propellers and cannot fly until they get here.

Is there a way to disable GPS? Without having to cope with the software overriding my choice of either Stabilize OR Manual every single flight?

Also... Anybody make their own prop guards? Seems it would be easy enough out of 1/16 inch aluminum flat bar (not concerned about the warranty). The retail prop guards appear to be ill-fitting junk, in my opinion.

Love the pretty LEDs.

Thanks.

I believe it you take off in Acro you won't have to deal with GPS.

Aluminum prop guards sound too heavy. Not sure if Solo would like all that metal close by. But being aluminum it might not matter.

Being a techie, I have no problem with the Solo, the updates, and its software. Checked the GPS revision (B) and added a spacer. So here I am in the living room getting a feel for the real controls. Of course I do not want the thing to crash into the ceiling, so the buttons are assigned, A to Stabilize and B to FLY: Manual. After several little hops, I make the mistake of not correcting the software for changing my settings... I have ordered propellers and cannot fly until they get here.

Is there a way to disable GPS? Without having to cope with the software overriding my choice of either Stabilize OR Manual every single flight?

Also... Anybody make their own prop guards? Seems it would be easy enough out of 1/16 inch aluminum flat bar (not concerned about the warranty). The retail prop guards appear to be ill-fitting junk, in my opinion.

Love the pretty LEDs.

Thanks.

My advice, don't fly indoors it's spelling disaster when flying brushless quads they are dangerous! You should check out YouTube on what happens
when one of the quads hits a person, those motors have a lot of power, worse yet the props are spinning blades!

The Solo owner's manual gives the same advice:

indoors.png

That is like saying "Going outside is dangerous". And then when the person goes outside, you shoot them. So I get the impression there is no user solution to the problem besides making absolutely sure one of the non-GPS modes is selected before every flight after your prior selection is undone.

That is like saying "Going outside is dangerous". And then when the person goes outside, you shoot them.

If I may, I propose that it's more like saying that using the wrong tool for the wrong job is always more dangerous than using the right tool for the right job. Solo is a TOOL designed for the SPECIFIC JOB of aerial videography. Yes, it can be used for other things, but its primary reason for existence explains 3DR's design choice to always start up in FLY mode.

So I get the impression there is no user solution to the problem besides making absolutely sure one of the non-GPS modes is selected before every flight after your prior selection is undone.

Correct. For the reason, see above.

If you set the bird to FLY:Manual then is should stay in that flight mode until you select another mode. Sounds like you have sticking buttons, you may want to check that.

You actually can change the startup mode by editing a configuration file. But I'm not going to say which one. If you're technically inclined enough and really want to do it, you'll find it. But I'm not gonna enable hundreds of crashes by writing it out in plain english.

I'm not gonna enable hundreds of crashes by writing it out in plain english.
Wow.
I tried changing MNT_DEFLT_MODE from 3 to 2, but that did not change the startup setting (from Fly). So I will continue piddling around. Let me know if I'm warm.

I think the reason it defaults to a GPS mode is so it provides the 'safest' flight mode at take-off. I'm not sure of any general advantage in defaulting to a less safe reduced positional control mode? I can see why in your particular indoor case or any case with no/poor GPS it might be useful, but other than inside a structure that shouldn't happen with any frequency. Wouldn't you end up with the reverse 'problem' of having to change modes for outdoor flights - which presumably most of them will be?

Last edited:
Wouldn't you end up with the reverse 'problem' of having to change modes for outdoor flights - which presumably most of them will be?
If the factory set mode is GPS enabled, the way it is, there would be no problem for anyone who never changes the setting to anything else. I would not want it to remember every setting it is changed too, like in midflight. But I would want it to remember the takeoff setting.

Solex allows the user to quickly and easily change flight modes (and whatever parameters you want to include). The developer (Kelly) included (as an example) an indoor flight mode which also includes modified RTH behavior.

Reactions: RichWest
Wow.
I tried changing MNT_DEFLT_MODE from 3 to 2, but that did not change the startup setting (from Fly). So I will continue piddling around. Let me know if I'm warm.
MNT parameters are mount control parameters, as in the gimbal.

You can change what flight mode it defaults to on startup. But you cannot make it "remember" that and default to it later. In most cases where it switches into fly (loiter) automatically, it is hard coded in the smart shots to do that.

If you are flying indoors, you need to use a flight profile in solex to do it right. A flight profile for indoors can disable the GPS and set the failsafes appropriately. Simply hacking a flight mode will do none of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M