Still Getting Jello Effect With 3dr Solo, 3dr Gimble & ND Filter Fitted

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I am currently flying my 3dr Solo with 3dr gimble, Gopro Hero 3+ Black and filter ND4 and still I am getting Jello in my footage. I have tried altering my gopro settings to online suggested settings and still no change. Can anyone help me with a solution, I will try any new settings suggested or equipment ugrades if needed to get it right.
Thank You & Best Regards.
Shaun UK

how bright is it where you are shooting? ND4 might not be enough to get your shutter speed down where it should be.

One thing I do is I take a light meter reading before flight based on the known GoPro settings.
For instance, ISO 400 @ f/2.8. I dial this into my DSLR and take a reading of the scene I will be shooting and see how much I would be over with the desired shutter speed. For instance if I am shooting 30P I am aiming for 1/60th of a second on the shutter. If my camera is wanting to shoot at 1/250th of a second in this scene I know I need to cut the exposure by 2 stops with ND.

Quite often in full sun I will need to use MAX ND as it is so bright. If I need more ND than my strongest filter there is still one trick left in the tool box and that is to crank the frame rate up. for instance if I shot 60P I can shoot with a faster shutter speed of 1/125th. with this higher frame rate you will also have much smoothing footage... if you want the 'film like' motion of 24P you can always telecine this in post to that frame rate or add a motion filter.

One other thing to keep in mind if you are wanting to minimize motion artifacts in your recording is the speed at which you move. you want to insure your pans, and drone moves do are not exceeding the frequency (shutter speed) at which the camera is capturing footage at. side to side moves will be much less forgiving at this than forward/backwards moves.

Hope this helps,
Alex R.

Join me on Instagram @ARatson

Hi Acroduster, I have balanced the gimble using the back bone dead weight system and I did look at my props for balancing and they seemed to be OK, but I will re-check them. Thank you Shaun.

Hi Aratson, Thank you for your in depth reply and I will go away and try some of the things you have suggested and let you know how I get on, your time and effort is really appreciated. The trouble here is that I am not really that great on gopro camara settings or camera jargon, but I will try my best. I could do with another flyers guide to the best Gopro 3+ black setup for the Solo. I have found some online, but I feel my colours still seem a little dull. I do have ND4 & ND8 filters but am worried that they could dull my footage even more. I will slow the drone down and will let you know how I get on. I may just go back to the start and check everything again.
Thank You
Shaun UK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig