SPOT Trace or Flytrex

Reaction score
Does anyone use SPOT Trace on drones, Im still waiting for Flytrex... thinking of cancelling it for the SpotTrace.

They are 50% off for 4 more days so fo $50 and then one year of service $99 youre only out $150, which is less than flytrex without service?

My question is, its small and only 90 grams, but does it interfere in signal in any way when it calls in or starts tracking? It says keep it 12 inches away from other GPS devices...

Any thoughts?

Does anyone use SPOT Trace on drones, Im still waiting for Flytrex... thinking of cancelling it for the SpotTrace.

They are 50% off for 4 more days so fo $50 and then one year of service $99 youre only out $150, which is less than flytrex without service?

My question is, its small and only 90 grams, but does it interfere in signal in any way when it calls in or starts tracking? It says keep it 12 inches away from other GPS devices...

Any thoughts?
I do. Needs to be on the top (GPS) but works great. I velcro strap to the battery. There is a thread here on it and Marco Polo.. Doesn't update as often, but doesn't need Cell (Flytrex) or being close (Marco Polo). All satellite, updates to a map on a web page.

I do. Needs to be on the top (GPS) but works great. I velcro strap to the battery. There is a thread here on it and Marco Polo.. Doesn't update as often, but doesn't need Cell (Flytrex) or being close (Marco Polo). All satellite, updates to a map on a web page.

Thanks Earl
I see they place them even in the hull of boats, i was thinking upright, yet internal to the rear of the solo. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Earl
I see they place them even in the hull of boats, i was thinking upright, yet internal to the rear of the solo. Any thoughts on that?
Needs a clear view of the sky, both for GPS, and for uplink. Fairly forgiving, but I would have to understand better what you have inind to know for sure. Center of the copter is a really good place. FYI, they are rugged and weather resistant.

Needs a clear view of the sky, both for GPS, and for uplink. Fairly forgiving, but I would have to understand better what you have inind to know for sure. Center of the copter is a really good place. FYI, they are rugged and weather resistant.
I may just slap it on the battery then. How do you feel about your ability to recover your drone with the information you can gather with the SPOT tracker?

I may just slap it on the battery then. How do you feel about your ability to recover your drone with the information you can gather with the SPOT tracker?
Very Good. I have recovered things MUCH farther away than my Solo could go, with no idea where they would end up :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PS: The Video was done by my 12 yo Stepson for his science fair, with "some" of my help. Don't want it "to" proffesional, lest his school thinks dad did it :)

Very Good. I have recovered things MUCH farther away than my Solo could go, with no idea where they would end up :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PS: The Video was done by my 12 yo Stepson for his science fair, with "some" of my help. Don't want it "to" proffesional, lest his school thinks dad did it :)

That was awesome.... Makes me want to lift solo with a balloon and drop it!

That was awesome.... Makes me want to lift solo with a balloon and drop it!
Dont think I haven't thought of it :)

We are doing it again this weekend (this time with FOUR GoPro cameras onboard) a Rasberry Pi data logger, Spot Trace, and Spot 3 (backup)...

I want to film the launch from a UAV perspective as well, and then use it to go find it also (assuming it lands in a corn field or similar) but my Solo with the gimbal is down with a bad controller (in 3DR's hands) :( So I may have to resort to the "other" unit...

Attachments

• Proposed Guinness World Record Updated Mechanical Dart Toss Diagram.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Dont think I haven't thought of it :)

We are doing it again this weekend (this time with FOUR GoPro cameras onboard) a Rasberry Pi data logger, Spot Trace, and Spot 3 (backup)...

I want to film the launch from a UAV perspective as well, and then use it to go find it also (assuming it lands in a corn field or similar) but my Solo with the gimbal is down with a bad controller (in 3DR's hands) :( So I may have to resort to the "other" unit...

Ah that stinks, but im sure the otherunit is fairly capable as well

So what is the purpose of the dart? hitting a target, speed, etc?
what record will be attempted?

Ah that stinks, but im sure the otherunit is fairly capable as well

So what is the purpose of the dart? hitting a target, speed, etc?
what record will be attempted?
The Record will be the "Worlds Longest Dart Toss" We will "toss" the dart at the apex when the balloon bursts. In theory someone could toss a dart some other way, but this toss will be about 23 miles :) To document the record, we will track the dart also (another Spot Trace) and record video from it as well (GoPro HERO original). The only target is "Earth" :D

We may not be ready for the record on this outing, as I am still working the documentation details with Guiness. Hate to take the risk and not get the record. We may just end up putting up the main payload and testing the cutaway mechanism, unitil we dot the I's and cross the T's with Guinness

The Record will be the "Worlds Longest Dart Toss" We will "toss" the dart at the apex when the balloon bursts. In theory someone could toss a dart some other way, but this toss will be about 23 miles :) To document the record, we will track the dart also (another Spot Trace) and record video from it as well (GoPro HERO original). The only target is "Earth" :D

We may not be ready for the record on this outing, as I am still working the documentation details with Guiness. Hate to take the risk and not get the record. We may just end up putting up the main payload and testing the cutaway mechanism, unitil we dot the I's and cross the T's with Guinness

Sounds cool enough with or without the record

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Earldgrayjr, the Spot website says to keep the Spot Trace 12 inches away from GPS antennas or as it could interfere.

The Spot trace transmits every 5 minutes (or whatever interval you set). I am not sure how long it is transmitting.

I suppose the Solo could go into Fly:Manual mode in that case--have you seen that?

I've used the SPOT Trace on about 6 flights so far. I mounted it on the top of the battery, as far back away from the Solo GPS antenna (you start getting close to the rear rotor tips).

I have noticed the Solo going into FLY:MANUAL mode twice, and I *think* it coincided with one of the periodic satellite transmissions (they happen every 5 minutes).

Note that when it went into FLY:Manual mode, the display on my iPhone still showed the same number of GPS satellites and HDOP value as before (they didn't drop off).

SPOT only sends its waypoint every 5 minutes. I've captured waypoints while the SOLO was in flight.

Once SPOT becomes stationary, it sends out a "stop" waypoint. It will NOT send out the periodic 5 minute waypoints until the onboard accelerometer thinks it is moving again. This is because SPOT was created to monitor parked boats, cars, motorcycles and alert the owner when it gets moved.

Note that the SPOT uses satellites, not cellular, so it must have a clear view of the sky. Not a problem for normal Solo operation if on the top of the craft...

...but what if Solo crashes and goes belly up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks