Something from the Outback

Reaction score
it's difficult to get a decent internet, got plenty of footage from the Solo (going through 5 batteries every day) on this trip but I think I have to wait until I get back home to process it properly and upload something more meaningful, here is just a short clip that took me few days to process and finally manage to upload.
this is obviously lower quality (high compression) than what I would normally prefer to upload.
sorry about the music, had to choose something from my existing iTunes library and couldn't find anything matching the theme.

had my "abort" finger ready with that maneuver between chimneys at 1:00

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

plenty of opportunities in this terrain to do Follow Me, it's bit unpredictable at times and Solo gets confused sometimes, but I love this feature, hope to have a chance to upload one of those as well, in the meantime couple of photos here

GOPR0053.jpg
GOPR0054.jpg

Nice job Pete. Was the video all 1 mpcc shot?

I like it Pete - very nice. Simple yet effective.

Couple of questions. I've only used mpcc once, and as a trial at that so I'm in virgin territory:
  1. How was the repeatabilty of the way points, particularly as you suggest - through the chimneys?
  2. Curious how you get a shot of the front of your car in follow-me unless that's just a still from a general flight (judging by the lack of dust I suspect that to be the case!)
  3. Lastly - where was this? I love old ruins for aerial shots! Here's a very short one I did (but it was before mpcc). Check out the wind!:

Couple of questions. I've only used mpcc once, and as a trial at that so I'm in virgin territory:
  1. How was the repeatabilty of the way points, particularly as you suggest - through the chimneys?
  2. Curious how you get a shot of the front of your car in follow-me unless that's just a still from a general flight (judging by the lack of dust I suspect that to be the case!)
  3. Lastly - where was this? I love old ruins for aerial shots! Here's a very short one I did (but it was before mpcc). Check out the wind!:
Nice Job JOn. Looks like Solo did well in the wind. Regarding the Follow Me question above; Solo will Follow, Lead or run along the side. It just depends where you start the shot. If you put solo in front of you looking at you, it will attempt to maintain that position as you move.

Hi Jon,

1. in this specific case I ran the MPCC 4 times (1x creating it and 3x executing) and it was very accurate, I completed the run every time without aborting, I was just unlucky that on my 1st run proper just as I was about to finish, 2 4WDs came in and ruined my shot (Murphy's law, I didn't see any other cars in 2 days, just in that one minute when running MPCC). on my 2nd run proper which was 1 hour later I got flickering effect from shadows of the props (because in that 1 hour sun moved up a bit) so I had to put on stronger ND filter and run it one more time.

2. you are probably referring to the other video I posted (not the one in this thread), the car was moving at about 60km/h in that shot, I started Solo in front of the car and it stayed in that position until I accelerated beyond Solo max speed, then it lost me for few seconds and started to follow from behind with car in the frame again.

3. the location of the ruins is here :
Google Maps

it's in South Australia, there are some back roads/tracks from Yunta that take you to Flinders and Arkaroola, tracks are fantastic and you would be unlucky to meet other travelers there. Even from Flinders going North along Oodnadatta track you will find a lot of ruins and other interesting places, it's along the old Ghan railway (quite a few old bridges) all the way to Alice Springs, Lake Eyre is along the way, Painted Desert, Lambert Center of Australia, Chambers Pillar and you can take small detour to Dalhousie Springs with probably one of the most interesting ruins in Australia at the outskirts of Simpson Desert.

Reactions: Jon6565
Thanks Pete!

That's good feedback - I appreciate it. The truth is I have has so many issues with video feed that in the 5 or 6 months I've had solo probably only a handful of times has been with video and the rest was blind. RolandS888 here in Perth has been extremely helpful and patient in fixing it for me and it seems stable now so I am keen to get out and shoot some meaningful footage. I travel to Port Hedland a fair bit and occasionally drive to a couple of mine sites and pass right next to Wittenoom and Karijini. Using Solo on the mine site is a no no but travelling between there are plenty of options for stunning shots.

It would be good to see some of your finished footage.

Cheers

Jon

Jon, it's unfortunate that you weren't able to use Solo that much, Karijini is spectacular and if you travel around the area then that's a fantastic opportunity to get some great shots.
I took these photos there last year (that was before I got the Solo) :

LAN0779.jpg
DSC_3314.jpg

Awesome Pete! Check out my website: www.jlphotocreative.com

wonderful !
seriously, you need to get the Solo out more often and use it along with with your landscape photography if you are already making effort to go to these places.

where was this taken ? :
http://jlphotocreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/CC7A8841.jpg

also like that car wreck.

my favourite outback wreck is Patsie's car :
141026-DSC_2734.jpg

and I took fancy MPCC with Solo of it on this trip :

Last edited:
those chimneys were great.
There needs to be a name for that moment you decide to not push pause and get the epic shot.
My last crash was a great MPCC and i flew along a line of trees, only to pop up over them (very close, too close) and reveal my car parked on the other side.
I was like, its going to make it... oh crap,,,, its going to make it..... BOOM
hit the tree

Solo tumbles 50 feet to the ground.
Dusted it off, put on new props and kept right on filming

wonderful !
seriously, you need to get the Solo out more often and use it along with with your landscape photography if you are already making effort to go to these places.

where was this taken ? :
http://jlphotocreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/CC7A8841.jpg

also like that car wreck.

my favourite outback wreck is Patsie's car :
View attachment 3226

and I took fancy MPCC with Solo of it on this trip :

That photo was taken at a gold mine north of Kalgoorlie called Carosue Damn. It's a tailings dam that has dried out.

The old cars are at a farm in the Wheatbelt which some friends of mine run. I'm heading out there again soon. He knows I'm bringing the Solo!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig