Some kind of spray to make solo body stronger?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for something that can be coated on or sprayed ontho a shell of the 3DR solo drone that can help keep the plastic in tack incase of a crash that would normally crack the plastic. After successfully taking my spare solo apart I'm looking to coat it with something that will give its strong material coated onto it..

Has anyone out their successfully done something like this?

I'd guess truck bed liner might help a bit, but will add weight. Not something I think is worth it.
The Solo isn't gonna withstand repeated crashes regardless of what you spray on it. If you want a durable drone that can handle a bad crash get a 250 Race Quad. They are built to crash (but can still break).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anything sprayed on would be too thin to offer any benefit. The Solo is tough enough that any crash bad enough to bust it up is probably going to do more damage than just a cracked shell.

Buy another while they a cheap and available.

IMG_0138.PNG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG Thanks guys for your thoughts and input. Only reason I ask bcuz I took it apart completely to change the hdmi cable out do to weird video feed. I was thinking I've seen some stuff come out the market for what I'm talking about but I would be worried about the weight as well. May just be less expensive and time consuming to just have a spare drone on hand or a replacement shell to swap out. I already have a parts drone that I broke down yesterday for the motorpods and everything in the inside after a bad crash that cracked the arms and body. It still flew great but I just didn't trust having a loose arm barely holding on.

I included photos after my first bad crash ever!

As I posted in another thread a few days ago. The biggest issue with these repairs is surface area. Simply gluing or epoxying it doesn't provide much support. it needs something like a butterfly bandage.

I use dryer sheets. Its like a thin layer of fiberglass.

Step 1. Epoxy or JB weld the cracks making sure the frame is straight.
Step 2. Sand the high spots
Step 3. Mix epoxy and spread it thinly over cracked areas you repaired.
Step 4. Cut a used (it must be used) dryer sheet to fit the area you just put the epoxy.
Step 5. Push the dryer sheet into the wet epoxy and shape it to the curves.
Step 6. Decide how many layers you want to put on the affected area. 1 may be enough on a straight crack More may be needed where curves are.
Step 7. Let it dry, then you can sand it and paint it.

I would do the outside 1st then repeat on the inside of the frame. It may not look pretty but it will keep the solo flying. Or atleast give you a back up frame if needed.

The dryer sheet is super strong and surprisingly provides a lot of structure when covered in epoxy. You can also use backing that you get in the sewing department at Wal-Mart if you don't have dryer sheets.

I did a repair on a canoe during a float trip many years ago and the patch is still there. The canoe has been on many river trips since and has not failed.

I have used a product called fiberfix to fix 75 flag poles for our high school band and it worked well. They have released a product called fiber patch. I does everything I described above but is in a malleable patch. I am not sure how thick it is. The fiberfix roll was about 16th of an inch and in a roll. you can get it at Lowes. May be worth a look.

The nice thing about the dryer sheet is its light and strong. It is a little bit of work but it will work.

As I posted in another thread a few days ago. The biggest issue with these repairs is surface area. Simply gluing or epoxying it doesn't provide much support. it needs something like a butterfly bandage.

I use dryer sheets. Its like a thin layer of fiberglass.

Step 1. Epoxy or JB weld the cracks making sure the frame is straight.
Step 2. Sand the high spots
Step 3. Mix epoxy and spread it thinly over cracked areas you repaired.
Step 4. Cut a used (it must be used) dryer sheet to fit the area you just put the epoxy.
Step 5. Push the dryer sheet into the wet epoxy and shape it to the curves.
Step 6. Decide how many layers you want to put on the affected area. 1 may be enough on a straight crack More may be needed where curves are.
Step 7. Let it dry, then you can sand it and paint it.

I would do the outside 1st then repeat on the inside of the frame. It may not look pretty but it will keep the solo flying. Or atleast give you a back up frame if needed.

The dryer sheet is super strong and surprisingly provides a lot of structure when covered in epoxy. You can also use backing that you get in the sewing department at Wal-Mart if you don't have dryer sheets.

I did a repair on a canoe during a float trip many years ago and the patch is still there. The canoe has been on many river trips since and has not failed.

I have used a product called fiberfix to fix 75 flag poles for our high school band and it worked well. They have released a product called fiber patch. I does everything I described above but is in a malleable patch. I am not sure how thick it is. The fiberfix roll was about 16th of an inch and in a roll. you can get it at Lowes. May be worth a look.

The nice thing about the dryer sheet is its light and strong. It is a little bit of work but it will work.
Pretty cool!

You're right about the dryer sheet strength- ever try to rip one in half? A phone book would be easier...

Hello everyone, I'm looking for something that can be coated on or sprayed ontho a shell of the 3DR solo drone that can help keep the plastic in tack incase of a crash that would normally crack the plastic. After successfully taking my spare solo apart I'm looking to coat it with something that will give its strong material coated onto it..

Has anyone out their successfully done something like this?
Hey there Middleton hero, are you up here in the Treasure Valley it like I am?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus