Solo: The next version?

Reaction score
I'm used to seeing all kinds of speculation and rumors on Internet discussion groups about the "next best thing"-- be it a camera, computer, smart phone, software, etc. etc.

However I've seen hardly any (might just have missed it?) such talk about what 3DR might have in mind for their next "Solo level" copter or Solo 2. No lack of threads of course about 3DR getting the current Solo, gimbal, app updates etc. out into the word at large but none of the even silly rumors about what's coming next & when.

I guess since they're probably still trying to calm the water with all the delays to date with Solo 1, any future aspirations they might have are kept under pretty tight wraps.

I'm sure eventually they'll start dropping hints, but it seems they're at least planning on building from this platform rather than forcing us to rebuy the basics to get new features. It has good and bad points, overall I think it'll save us money in the long run if things work out after this crazy launch.

Guess wel see sooner or later, I'd guess if they put something else out in the near future it'll either be higher end or maybe just new versions of solo with additional upgrades or options added on already. I doubt a solo 2 or anything comes for at least a year or two, unless the investors really push em cause it goes against all they've pushed with this release and wouldn't do any good for the folks who stuck around through all the craziness so far. Just my opinion and money talks so wel see, crazier things have happened.

I'm used to seeing all kinds of speculation and rumors on Internet discussion groups about the "next best thing"-- be it a camera, computer, smart phone, software, etc. etc.

However I've seen hardly any (might just have missed it?) such talk about what 3DR might have in mind for their next "Solo level" copter or Solo 2. No lack of threads of course about 3DR getting the current Solo, gimbal, app updates etc. out into the word at large but none of the even silly rumors about what's coming next & when.

I guess since they're probably still trying to calm the water with all the delays to date with Solo 1, any future aspirations they might have are kept under pretty tight wraps.
If 3DR were to introduce a Solo 2 in the near future, they would lose about eighty percent of their loyal fan base, myself included.

The biggest selling point for me was their claim that Solo was built for the future and any improvements would be built into our present machines. Realistically, as computers improve, there will be a time when the onboard one will be obsolete and the current configuration might not handle them.

There is so much potential within Solo for firmware and software and hardware growth and evolution why would they jump to a V2 straight away.
Its like ripping out the seeds that have just been planted and putting in new seeds before the first generation have have a chance to germinate, let alone grow.
Give it time. Solo is still being fine tuned.

Apparently there is a stock issue for replacement Gimbals, you cant touch the stocked marked for-sale new purchasers, so i got to wait. thank you for your sentiments.
I've heard Best Buy is now exclusive retailer... could you pick up one there and get a refund for the first? Dunno, but it's something to ask 3DR about, just in case.

Hi Marich, thanks for that thought , but we don't have Best Buy in Australia we do have Distributers but I am a bit reluctant to argue any further with them, I should have kept the original and modded it, it just didn't give me return vision and yet I have vision on the normal cable.
Anyway what's done is done I just have to wait which bugs the living day lights out of me. Anyway thank you for your thoughts.

if you follow 3DR they have said many times. Solo was built to be updated and improved upon.
A solo 2 or 1.5 even has never been even hinted at by 3DR
What has been openly talked about are future new accessories, bigger batteries and motors, etc. In fact they seem to be right on track by opening up the Made for Solo program to encourage development of new software and hardware by 3rd parties.
Would not hold my breath for a new model

Apparently there is a stock issue for replacement Gimbals, you cant touch the stocked marked for-sale new purchasers, so i got to wait. thank you for your sentiments.
John, sorry about your bad experience- hopefully the replacement will fix your issues! :D

Please check out Chris Anderson blog today about where Solo is setting in 3DR's plans. Solo is the next gen.
3DR's evolution from micro to mass

After reading that blog it makes me think 3DR is going to evolve OUT of making drones. Just a feeling i get- not sure why.

With all due consideration, rolling out a product that requires distribution, customer support on a number of levels, parts replacement, warranty service, etc, etc is a complex and daunting task. Here in the US we are about 4 1/2 months into the initial SOLO launch and only a few months into the gimbal launch. If you have been following you will know that #1, it has been less than a perfect launch #2, 3DR support although scrambling has been doing a credible job of responding to customer issues, and #3 (this is not an all inclusive list) Best Buy with a chain of over 400 stores in the US has been a major distribution point for SOLO and I think a number of folks will agree has taken the brunt of returns and replacements because of their liberal return policy. Now, given the difficulties here, I would expect that our good friends in Australia would expect a more lengthy delivery and support process as I believe if I am not mistaken that SOLO and it's components have arrived on the scene fairly recently and if I understand you correctly that a major distributor such as Best Buy here in the US is not available yet in Australia. I know you are frustrated and eager to explore the incredible capabilities of this very cool machine. All I can say is try to be patient, the delivery system and supply chain will catch up to you (and other countries), and like most here in the forum you will be pleased with the final outcome. Best wishes and happy flying.

Reactions: Burkeam
Hello David, thanks for your Comments, Best Buy is not in Australia but we have a number of smaller independent companies who are distributing the product.
I got my solo a couple of months ago less Gimbal which followed some two weeks later unfortunately it was faulty (no vision output) after contacting support and carrying out several procedures to correct problem it was decided by support to return the Gimbal.
To my surprise all happened extremely quickly and efficiently even down to all FedEx paperwork and local pickup which happened in a day.
Then the wait started and that's where we are at present being told as of last night tracking info should be sent by Friday for replacement Gimbal.
I think 3DR are doing what they can under the circumstances they are trying very hard and possiblely making statements of two to three week turnarounds a bit ambitious, a little more communication wouldn't go astray, apart from that I am very happy with solo and will be eaglely waiting for my replacement Gimbal so I can get in the air and start to see some return on my investment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado