Solo 'Specific' Specs

Reaction score
Hey all-

I am sure this question might have been asked (so forgive me for asking), but is there literature which talk about the Solo's:

1. Max temp? Min temp? for operation?

2. Max Wind? with or without gusts?

3. Precipitation? i.e. light rain, mod rain, heavy rain? Can the Solo operate in any of these conditions?

Any literature would be appreciated guys!

User manual. Except the precipitation . I don't believe SOLO is rated for any precip.

For whatever it is worth, I live near Lake Havasu City, AZ (one of the hottest places in the U.S.), and I have flown my Solo in temps near and above 115°.

I keep it in the shade until I am ready to fly since the sun would probably warp the black plastic GPS cover and melt the props. I will have to wait until next year to get a picture of the Solo in front of the FD sign, but here is a heli (that people said overheated a lot) hovering in 118° just fine, after I removed the shrink from the ESC... ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-10-03-11-34.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-03-11-34.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2017-10-10-03-20-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-03-20-37.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 52
For whatever it is worth, I live near Lake Havasu City, AZ (one of the hottest places in the U.S.), and I have flown my Solo in temps near and above 115°.

I keep it in the shade until I am ready to fly since the sun would probably warp the black plastic GPS cover and melt the props. I will have to wait until next year to get a picture of the Solo in front of the FD sign, but here is a heli (that people said overheated a lot) hovering in 118° just fine, after I removed the shrink from the ESC... ;-)
ABS "melts" at about 221 deg. F, so I don't think you need to worry about that.;)

Have tried wrapping the battery in those reflective Mylar films? Just make sure to keep the front where the GPS is unwrapped. That would reflect a lot of the heat.

Yeah but that's a dry heat

/sarc

Thank you all for the reply's! It is helpful. So just to be clear, the Solo cannot operate in any kind of rain? Whether drizzle or light rain?

For example: If I am taking video and a shower passes through one hour long, I need to stop the Solo and bring it down because of a light drizzle or light rain?

Thanks!

It is not recommended to fly Solo in precipitation, but a little inadvertent light rain should be okay. As was mentioned above the brushless motors should be fine. You just don’t want any water getting on the motherboard or ESCs.
If you want/need to fly in wet weather you could “waterproof” the electronics. Check out the YouThe video from the FliteTest channel. They actually had the electronics for a quad working under water.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Thank you all for the reply's! It is helpful. So just to be clear, the Solo cannot operate in any kind of rain? Whether drizzle or light rain?

For example: If I am taking video and a shower passes through one hour long, I need to stop the Solo and bring it down because of a light drizzle or light rain?

Thanks!
Actually, I don't know of anyone who has flown in the rain so it's kind of an unknown. If you want to try it, let us know what happens. I'm not sure if light rain would actually get to the ESC's.

I have flow both of my Solo's (Yes I'm a dummy and purchased two of them when they were over a thousand bucks with a gimbal--- I still love em'!---) in light to heavy rainstorms without any problems. I even flew one day where the rain was so heavy that after the flight the battery holder under the battery had about two tablespoons full of rainwater in it without any water getting into the main mother board. Believe me, I checked for water on the boards after the soaking and there was none. And the GPS board is protected pretty well for water infiltration due to the way it is mounted up high and dry, and under a cover.
Over all the Solo is pretty water resistant. Don't land or crash in a lake where the Solo goes under water, but flying in the rain won't hurt the brush less motors and the main motherboard, and as long as you don't fly in a tornado you can risk flying in a minor rainstorm without problems. And if you do get water inside the bird, remove the battery cover and do the rice in a big bag trick.

Reactions: Maddog
I have flow both of my Solo's (Yes I'm a dummy and purchased two of them when they were over a thousand bucks with a gimbal--- I still love em'!---) in light to heavy rainstorms without any problems. I even flew one day where the rain was so heavy that after the flight the battery holder under the battery had about two tablespoons full of rainwater in it without any water getting into the main mother board. Believe me, I checked for water on the boards after the soaking and there was none. And the GPS board is protected pretty well for water infiltration due to the way it is mounted up high and dry, and under a cover.
Over all the Solo is pretty water resistant. Don't land or crash in a lake where the Solo goes under water, but flying in the rain won't hurt the brush less motors and the main motherboard, and as long as you don't fly in a tornado you can risk flying in a minor rainstorm without problems. And if you do get water inside the bird, remove the battery cover and do the rice in a big bag trick.
Thanks for the report! Any issues with water getting on the camera lens?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44