Solo motor and pod info sought...

Interestingly, the "capacitor keeping the FETS turned on" type situation mostly happens in the cheap ESCs, and when the FETS are shorted (or you short the motor wires together) the resistance you feel when turning the motor does not 'cog' but smoothely resists turning, as at that point the motor has become a generator and the magnets are resisting the magnetic field induced in the shorted coils..

Reactions: J R
The "smoother" the motor the better. Heavy cogging is a failure when the magnetic/mechanical pull is stronger rather than lighter, at least for our motors. We can only make a motor so light in felt cogging, if built properly. The pull felt is directly connected to how smooth the motor will run or slow down. Most people can understand how a gas engine feels if a cylinder is not firing properly, we basically have a magnet(s) that is not firing correctly in our motors. Fix or replace the motor and then we can better manage vibration.

Further, the ESC is configured to run a properly built motor, within specified tolerances. When we have an out of spec motor using the same settings we should expect irregular operation. Again higher induced vibration and at a different frequency. Software tweaking can only remedy so much....

I mentioned in my motor balance thread that I have an IEEE document discussing cogging torque with brushless motors for high volume production motors. It explains the various causes and the effects it has on the motor and the connected components, again it relates to vibration as the impact. Needless to say the paper was written on how to reduce cogging torque from production motors rather than increasing it....

@Mauiwind I like the guy's videos, seen several and he appears to understand much about the overall systems. His example in the video were higher kV motors with lower mass and I would agree with his example provided. I'm fairly certain however his example is much less pronounced in our motors with a lower kV rating and heavier mass. Either way his video was informative for how the ESC effects the static brushless motors based on residual voltage.

So what is the solution? @Vu.3DR do you have any input to what we are discussing? Are we all mis-guided in our assessments? Possibly you have a real Engr available to enlighten us. I can vouch for the members participating in this thread as bona fide 3DR propeller heads....;)

Very interesting Post Rich...thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful and very educational information. I certainly know more about brushless motors than I did yesterday. I really appreciate all of your input.

Jerry

Reactions: Del

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso