Solo hits side of building; recovers!

Reaction score
But the GoPro was not so lucky.
I had a situation today. I was using orbit mode to get some video of this cool building that is surrounded by a pond in Cape Canaveral. Just after Solo left my sight behind the building (and my gut told me not to let it go that far), it went into RTH mode. I expected the worst. I ran to the side to reconnect, and saw Solo hit the sloping side of the building (it has a shape like a sail). That pitched it backwards just as I regained control. I immediately flew it back to me to survey the damage.
The GoPro had ejected on impact (pretty sure that's not a feature!), and I lost the GPS cover. But, it could have been so much worse. I'm assuming the camera is on the bottom of that pond now.
So does anyone know where I can get a replacement GPS cover?

Attachments

• IMG_20151231_121309.jpg
    IMG_20151231_121309.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20151231_132947.jpg
    IMG_20151231_132947.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20151231_132925.jpg
    IMG_20151231_132925.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I'd presume only from 3DR. Must of smacked the building fairly hard to knock the GPS cover off...it isn't simple when you want it off....

I would call Solo direct for the cover they will hook you right up. You bring up a good point about the camera getting knocked out of the holder. It would be nice if we could come up with an emergency cable to attach it just so you land with it hanging down. If I was in your shoes I still would consider myself very Lucky it could of had a much worse turn out. Like a complete lost. I am glad you got back your Solo at least.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I agree. A camera is easier to replace than Solo. Remember not to fly without the camera in the gimbal. If you are still going to fly until you get a replacement camera, remove the gimbal and put the rigid camera mount back on. Good luck.

How about a thick rubber band around the GoPro and gimbal back? Light, won't throw it out of balance and hold the GoPro?

Or a 3D printed 2 piece bracket that could have a ring that goes around the GoPro lens and maybe attaches to a flat piece that sits behind the gimbal back?

I'm all for the rubber band idea myself. Easier to remove when needing to remove the GoPro.

Reactions: Fluxley
So, the RTH height was set wrong? Wrong being lower than the building?
This was a case of me not doing enough pre-flight homework. I didn't check the RTH height, and I guess the last firmware update reset my Fly: Manual key binding. I wasn't looking for it until i was in trouble! Definitely an expensive learning experience. Hopefully others can learn from my mistake too.

Reactions: Steve K and J R
Still looking for a new cover. I noticed that 3DR sells the compass (GPS) cover as a part of the Solo "Replacement Shell" kit. 3DR Solo Replacement Shell - 3DRobotics Inc
But as far as I can see, there isn't a way to buy the cover separately. Do any of you have an extra cover you would sell me, or know who I could contact at 3DR to help me?

Generally with orbit, orbit a target from above as you'll almost always block your radio signal.

This mistake has been made by a number of users (not just on the Solo) when doing orbits, it'd be nice to have an option where the orbit rewinds before going into RTL in this scenario, it's been discussed on the FB page, but I'll e-mail 3DR directly about this as it would be nice to have this as a future feature.

Generally with orbit, orbit a target from above as you'll almost always block your radio signal.

This mistake has been made by a number of users (not just on the Solo) when doing orbits, it'd be nice to have an option where the orbit rewinds before going into RTL in this scenario, it's been discussed on the FB page, but I'll e-mail 3DR directly about this as it would be nice to have this as a future feature.

I agree. Thanks, Ian. The shot was looking so good until it disappeared!
I suppose also with multi-point cable cam, you could plot points in the shape of an orbit and not be affected by loss of radio? Or is that wrong?
BTW, the response I got from 3DR support was that the Compass Cover is not essential for flight, but that if I wanted a new one they would have to repair it at their warehouse and charges would apply.

The compass cover is included in the Solo replacement shell so you could always buy that knowing you've got spares.

Multipart cablecam would have had the same issue.

The compass cover is included in the Solo replacement shell so you could always buy that knowing you've got spares.

Multipart cablecam would have had the same issue.
Can 1 use the setting that disables RTH feature If signal lost while Multipart cablecam engaged?
If it can, it will be very important to use with a long & intricate Multi Part cablecam scenario.
Perhaps, Tower will also have the same?

Can 1 use the setting that disables RTH feature If signal lost while Multipart cablecam engaged?
If it can, it will be very important to use with a long & intricate Multi Part cablecam scenario.
Perhaps, Tower will also have the same?
Hey Steve, I may be wrong but I believe that all 'Smart Shots' are a Guided mode, just as in a Tower mission. Selfies and Cable Cams are just missions with Waypoints. So, in theory the continue mission settings should behave the same.

Reactions: SteveReno
Hey Steve, I may be wrong but I believe that all 'Smart Shots' are a Guided mode, just as in a Tower mission. Selfies and Cable Cams are just missions with Waypoints. So, in theory the continue mission settings should behave the same.
@Jubair, that's what I was thinking. For a complicated mission, with large objects between Solo & controller, trees buildings ect.. & now with smart shots, that feature is needed to complete the smart shot without RTH kicking in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44