Solo GPS rev B. Is the mod still necessary?

its green, should i be worried? ive only flown it a couple times havent had any issues yet, takes a min or two to get gps.
I have 2 Solo with the original board and they work fine. Enjoy it.

Took the new Solo I got on the BB deal for it's first flight/scan today. No issues and the GPS (original green board) was very quick and had HDOP under 1.0. But something interesting happened while flying Tower. The Tower audio prompts will let you know status and various warnings. One you will hear when GPS is locked is 'GPS 3D Lock'. But on this new bird I heard something I never have heard before; 'GPS 3D & DGPS Lock'. I assume the DGPS is referring to Differential GPS, but that generally needs a known ground point. So I'm not sure that is what it is referring to. Anyone else notice this?

I will say that while I have always had great service out of the original GPS unit in my 1 year old Solo, that the new Solo appears to acquire even more quickly.

I've been getting locks very quickly as well, even as new just out of the box (warranty replacement) bird. The DGPS thing is definitely different though.

I did not get the DGPS message. But I have not done the firmware update yet. I am waiting for the Android app update to go with it. The GPS receiver has always been using the available augmentation services (DGPS and WAAS). It just never indicated such to the user, apparently until now.

Last edited:
I'm very curious how they deployed the new Gps module in terms of batches and what not, I got mine directly from 3dr with a special deal with work and I think I got rev 1 because I haven't opened mine yet

Only by taking the cover off the gps housing and looking at the circuit board. If it's green, it's the original. If it's black, it's Rev. B and also says Rev B on it like the picture up above.

The picture shows the bottom, not what you see by pulling the GPS cover off. None of the labeling is visible by pulling off GPS cover. I am assuming the Rev B board is black on both sides?

Does anybody know if these will be available for sale/has anybody asked 3DR about replacements? I have been having a lot of issues with my GPS and this would be a welcome change.

In the picture posted in this thread I noticed the manufacture date of 2015-08-25. Why did it take so long for these boards to surface?

anyones who know where's the cad mesure of the new 3dr gps sheild ?
thx

Is it true the new 3dr sheild is made of Nickel & Composite ?
Hey thx Rich & Steve for the links

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44