Solo GPS rev B. Is the mod still necessary?

Reaction score
Hello everybody, today i got my first solo.
I've installed the gimbal and, after disassembly the GPS, i see it is different from the youtube videos or the photo i see for the GPS mod.
So i'm asking here, is the gps mod still necessary with the GPS Rev.b?

thanks!

Hello everybody, today i got my first solo.
I've installed the gimbal and, after disassembly the GPS, i see it is different from the youtube videos or the photo i see for the GPS mod.
So i'm asking here, is the gps mod still necessary with the GPS Rev.b?

thanks!
Can you provide a picture so we can see what the differences are? Thanks

There isn't any GPS Mod deemed necessary!
Some people that are having difficulty in connecting to satellites "For several reasons" have chosen to Mod there GPS with several types of Mods. with some better results?

Please keep in mind, most Solo's DO NOT have problems connecting to GPS sats.

If your system takes more ten 5 min. consistently "every time" you try to fly, then consider these options.

Hope this helps

I've just put it back, i will take a photo the next week.
It says Solo GPS Rev.b and had a cage next the GPs chipset to protect the center area where the gps antenna is connected

I just got mine as well. I got it used off of eBay last week. I was wondering the same thing about the gps mods. I can tell that someone has been into the copter there are a couple missing screws on the main board. Anyhow the cover that is usually copper is something else and the gps itself looks different than the ones I've seen on YouTube.
59fd1b2259733a5eea32079b1b032012.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: RichWest
Yes this is similar the GPS rev i nave on my solo, execpt forma the central (mine nave slot so i can sede inside. Chipset is exactly the same of the older. Maybe they chance the antenna and the PCB routing?

So the question is, does RevB modules acquire GPS lock better than a RevA, time or quality?

Interesting changes made, thanks for posting up the image...

IMHO, the RevB is an acknowledgement by 3DR that there was a problem with the RevA GPS modules. From the picture, it is obvious that 3DR decided that it was important to shield the LNA and the SAW filter as well as protect those components from being influenced by the copper foil shield. So many folks have had success with the "cardboard" fix that it seems a no brainer to draw that conclusion.

Also IMHO, the RevB board should be provided to any Solo owner that has a RevA board at no cost, by 3DR.

I have made my own mods to the GPS and enjoy fast acquisition times with the RevA board, so it hard to say that RevA is a disaster.. Sometimes, however, I do wait for what seems like an eternity for the Solo to get a GPS lock. Usually I look at the Kp index at UAV Forecast and find that it is too high to fly.... My Bad... YMMV. I also have an M8N fitted and will be doing more acquisition and flight tests in the near future.
BTW, there are a lot of doggy M8N modules out there so don't believe for one minute that they will all provide an equivalent improvement in performance.

The RevB is a good step towards better GPS. Lets all hope that 3DR continue improving the production hardware.
I love my Solo's and wouldn't trade for anything else on the market today (tomorrow maybe, but not today)

Last edited:
I just got mine as well. I got it used off of eBay last week. I was wondering the same thing about the gps mods. I can tell that someone has been into the copter there are a couple missing screws on the main board. Anyhow the cover that is usually copper is something else and the gps itself looks different than the ones I've seen on YouTube.
59fd1b2259733a5eea32079b1b032012.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, this GPS fixes all the issues with the GPS.

No comparison to the old GPS. This thing is awesome! It has all the recommended fixes that were recommended by engineering since before release!

Reactions: Ian [P13]
My personal view on this is that 3DR should make this GPS available to existing users as an upgrade.

I expect DJI to upgrade hardware on the quiet, for example the Inspire is on at least revision D, but 3DR have always been more transparent and offered updates, in my eyes they've fallen short here by failing to offer an upgrade to existing owners.

3DR you're better than this, sort it out! My 2p.

It has all the recommended fixes that were recommended by engineering since before release!

Respectfully, sometimes engineers will keep recommending improvements and nothing gets out the door... Nothing is ever perfect in an engineer's eye....;)

As an example;
Leonardo da Vinci began painting the Mona Lisa in 1503 or 1504 in Florence, Italy. According to Leonardo's contemporary, Giorgio Vasari, "after he had lingered over it four years, [he] left it unfinished". Leonardo, later in his life, is said to have regretted "never having completed a single work".

Art historian Carmen C. Bambach has concluded that da Vinci probably continued refining the work until 1516 or 1517.

Reactions: Jubalr
Respectfully, sometimes engineers will keep recommending improvements and nothing gets out the door... Nothing is ever perfect in an engineer's eye....;)

So true Rich! Back in the mid 80s, my partner and I developed a product called 'SkyTach' that allowed RC heli pilots to determine the rotor RPMs from the ground. We took on an engineer as a partner who kept making changes along the way, but finally agreed to let it ship. He laughed and told us that there is a saying in the engineering world; "There comes a time when you have to shoot the engineer and ship the product".

a saying in the engineering world; "There comes a time when you have to shoot the engineer and ship the product".
LOL, I've wanted to do that several times in my lifetime... Then others aren't worth their salt.

I was raised by a pack of mechanical engrs., my dad and two of his life long friends. Still to this day I've never designed anything that met their complete approval...;)

As an example;
Leonardo da Vinci began painting the Mona Lisa in 1503 or 1504 in Florence, Italy. According to Leonardo's contemporary, Giorgio Vasari, "after he had lingered over it four years, [he] left it unfinished". Leonardo, later in his life, is said to have regretted "never having completed a single work".

Art historian Carmen C. Bambach has concluded that da Vinci probably continued refining the work until 1516 or 1517.
Leonardo was doing Mona after sitting sessions, Of course he dragged it out as long as he could.

as i read in solo fb page one guy installed the rev b base on his story he got more gps lock improvement even inside house O_O so if this gps officially announce by 3dr so i can upgrade mine.

Scott Manthey It was quite impressive, flew for 3 different clients at three different locations and had 60-90 sec lock even in a very difficult location.

Only by taking the cover off the gps housing and looking at the circuit board. If it's green, it's the original. If it's black, it's Rev. B and also says Rev B on it like the picture up above.

As PxdSteve said, you gotta lay eyes on the board. It's the same NEO7N module so you can't tell by asking what module what it is.
I just got my $599 deal Solo and it has a rev A board. I got good GPS lock on the first flight within a minuet or two. Did a short test flight and it preformed as expected.

Only by taking the cover off the gps housing and looking at the circuit board. If it's green, it's the original. If it's black, it's Rev. B and also says Rev B on it like the picture up above.
its green, should i be worried? ive only flown it a couple times havent had any issues yet, takes a min or two to get gps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44