Solo GPS Isolation Plate Mod Kit--Does this work?

Have not done it but have read mixed reviews. I really don't have a problem with GPS...it just works.

I believe it is more a of mod to isolate the foil from making contact to any electrical component. There have been cases where the OEM shielding has made contact and drain the the GPS battery causing you to do a compass calibration every time or an extremely long delay in getting a GPS lock.It is much cleaner then the OEM foil tape. I do like the mod but personally I used electrical tape.

The OE foil on my Solo had some wrinkles in it. I removed the screws and peeled the foil back - there is an adhesive backing - straightened/flattened the foil and replaced.

Solo now will lock up on satellite and I get get a "ready to fly" sitting on my kitchen table.

Reactions: Burkeam
Recently installed this mod and it definitely improved GPS lock/signal. I maybe exaggerating but I got satellite locks in less than 15 seconds.

Here is my take
If you have foil from the stock install messing with the signal, (tons of reasons)
The isolation mod will help, the concept is simple and sound. The kit is neat and tidy compared to the cardboard.

some have no issues stock, some do.
I installed mine for the first time prior to the last firmware update.
And got lock for the first time setting in my house.
So it appeared to have improved performance.

Then the firmware came along, and now most of the time I have lock by the time I have done pre-flight checks., less than 1 minute.

Having said that, there are still times and locations where lock takes a very long time on initial start up.

So much has to do with the environment at the time, that is why I think some people report no improvement.
For me given the price and the workmanship of the mod. It is a good investment

One other thing to remember about solo and lock compared to others.
One of the reasons you do not hear about Fly Aways with 3DR compared to others, is the pre-arm checking is more thorough.. I personally would rather sit on the ground and wait for the electronics to determine system health than fly away hoping a good lock was had.

Reactions: Chuck
I am with pyrate. I don't mind Solo taking a bit of time and battery to check itself to make sure all is well. I like knowing when I take off that all systems are good, and that Solo is where it is supposed to be. That way all I have to concern myself with is hoping that the pilot is in the same condition....:rolleyes:

There has been some discussion about blocked GPS signals. Some of the posters here have installed this modification.

Solo GPS Isolation Plate Mod Kit (Please Read All of the Description Carefully for Install Details)

Does anybody have any feedback if this has improved your GPS signal?

Simply put (in my opinion) it works, and it's well worth the $15. I fly in one location by my office pretty often right after work. There used to be times when I would never get a Sat lock after 15 minutes and would just give up and go back inside. Since installing the fix, I always get a solid Sat lock, typically in no more then 4-5 minutes, but sometimes within 1 minute.

I look at it this way...it's $15 and it can't hurt. That makes it well worth it in my book.

its a simple enough mod and wouldn't hurt to try, makes a difference for sure considering the changes it makes

Yea it's a decent mod, mine never really had a huge problem, but just the peace of mind knowing you won't have the issues worth the time spent doing it. Maybe 5 minutes and you can use most materials as long as their thin, I tried lexan and it was kinda thick which actually hurt my lock. Now I just have two pieces of that green frog tape for painting on cause it doesn't absorb moisture and it works great.

I made my own out of some heavy card stock and it seems to work better. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the time it takes to aquire gps lock.

I made my own out of some heavy card stock and it seems to work better. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the time it takes to aquire gps lock.

I used the kit in the original link and my results were similar. Definite noticeable improvement for sure.

I'm curious....has anyone bought a Solo within the last month or so and checked to see if 3DR have made any changes to the original design? I know there are 3DR reps here on the forum, so I'm sure they've done some in-house testing. I wonder if they've adopted a new design yet.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I used the kit in the original link and my results were similar. Definite noticeable improvement for sure.

I'm curious....has anyone bought a Solo within the last month or so and checked to see if 3DR have made any changes to the original design? I know there are 3DR reps here on the forum, so I'm sure they've done some in-house testing. I wonder if they've adopted a new design yet.
Maybe post this as a topic I'd be interested if they've changed anything as well. I'd assume there are a couple tweaks since release, since we had some quirks early on to get past.

So I got mine... From the images and videos I have seen of older versions, they have tweaked a few minor things... More of the wires are zip-tied down, the GPS shield "sticker" is fit better and attached very firmly, but no major design fixes. I did the GPS fix (hand crafted a shield out of an old tupperware lid), and I get GPS lock and ready to fly usually in 30-45 seconds... :)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Thanks for the response, so far so good on mine from launch. Hope you enjoy solo as much as i have, 2.0 and the temperature here got me back to a daily flight or two a day again. Can't wait until the weather is consistently nice again, for now the few decent days here and there will have to do.

Can someone confirm, after putting the mod & foil, do I put the original foil back in, or discard?

Can someone confirm, after putting the mod & foil, do I put the original foil back in, or discard?

Yes. Original foil goes back and notice that the longer screws hold everything together.

Let us know if you notice any difference in GPS signal!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44