Solo emits loud warning sound after flop on side

Reaction score
Need some help diagnosing the problem with my Solo. Been working on this for a week, but do not seem to have found any solution.

Happened after used the Tower app to initialize a flight. Went into full power mode, flopped on side, and I cut power right away. Was in soft grass, so no external damage.

Right now my Solo starts the boot process, then emits a very loud warning sound continuously. Shows a continuous flashing orange light once boot process starts. Tried a factory reset, but does not continue through the process and cycle the leds as its supposed to.

It won't connect to the controller, so I have no wifi access to ssh in and examine any logs.

Completely pulled down and checked all wiring for loose connections.

Need some help diagnosing the problem with my Solo. Been working on this for a week, but do not seem to have found any solution.

Happened after used the Tower app to initialize a flight. Went into full power mode, flopped on side, and I cut power right away. Was in soft grass, so no external damage.

Right now my Solo starts the boot process, then emits a very loud warning sound continuously. Shows a continuous flashing orange light once boot process starts. Tried a factory reset, but does not continue through the process and cycle the leds as its supposed to.

It won't connect to the controller, so I have no wifi access to ssh in and examine any logs.

Completely pulled down and checked all wiring for loose connections.
Check the gps cable solo will emit a loud continuous beep if it does not recognize the gps module. also make sure to go into tower and reset the solo back to stock.

Check the gps cable solo will emit a loud continuous beep if it does not recognize the gps module. also make sure to go into tower and reset the solo back to stock.

By GPS cable you mean the one from the board to the GPS unit built into the battery tray? All looks good. Have pulled apart and rechecked all connections a number of times. Shield is in place. Anything elase related to the GPS to check?

Can't connect to the drone to reset all parameters to default. Plan was to restore to default once can connect via wifi. The radio does not seem to be active. I suspect that the boot process is not completing, therefore the wifi has not been activated.

Interestingly if one powers up the Pixhawk with a USB cable, it displays green and goes through its boot cycle. When power up via Solo, shows orange light along with the flashing orange led on the Solo board

Last edited:
If you can connect via the USB, hook it up to Mission Planner and see what error message you are getting.

While the Pixhawk powers up, I can't seem to get a communication channel via USB. In Linux, I have tried:
Besides its the Solo piggy-back board that is throwing the errors, not the Pixhawk2 module.

Thinking of flashing a new SD card, but need to find an image to download.

While the Pixhawk powers up, I can't seem to get a communication channel via USB. In Linux, I have tried:
Besides its the Solo piggy-back board that is throwing the errors, not the Pixhawk2 module.

Thinking of flashing a new SD card, but need to find an image to download.
Communicate via TCP not usb...try it on a windows PC

Communicate via TCP not usb...try it on a windows system mission planner runs on linux? Got to try that

TCP? That's for when using wifi, though I usually use UCP. I only have access to the Pixhawk via a usb cable directly plugged into its port

$ sudo dnf install mono-devel
$ mono MissionPlanner.exe

No wifi is UDP when connecting the pixhawk via usb you would use a com port my mistake sorry i.e. plug in pixhawk and select appropriate com port

OK, what would my parameters be then? Don't see how it would access the USB on my laptop. When plug the cable in get two new choices:
  • /dev/ttyACM0
  • /dev/serial/by-id/usb-3D_Robitics
I actually prefer CLI for any other this kind of diagnostics or config

Why do you need to flash a new image? how bad did you crash?

A flop on its side after Tower put one side into a full power. Had it happen before with Tower, why I usually always manually takeoff before activating auto mission to perform forest surveys. Seemed totally benign, but something got out of kilter.

Flashing new image: because through process of elimination figure rather start with fresh software. Nothing else has addressed the issue.

try the serial device this is a com device, also the esc's may have an issue disconnect both motors on the side it flipped and see if it will boot

I did in MP, failed to link

Is actually a link to /dev/ttyACM0, which also does not open a channel in console or MP

Tested boot up with all motor pods removed, same screaming warning sound with flashing orange led

Last edited:
That tone is GPS
check your connections again, and make sure none of the pins backed out or broke off

That tone is GPS
check your connections again, and make sure none of the pins backed out or broke off

All check out, no broken pins. This started right after rebooting once put drone back on its legs after the crash. GPS is plugged in and flashes with a green light. No warning if just power up Pixhawk via USB

Flashed new 8Gb sd card with Solo image.

Booted up, green led, then both green with slow flashing orange, no screaming warning as long as powered Pixhawk up first with usb. Otherwise led starts green, then orange slow flash starts after 30+ seconds, then starts warning scream

GPS shows flashing bright green power led when powering Pixhawk via usb.

Still no wifi

Last edited:
Did you try UDP in mission planner?
Only other thing I can think of is you cracked a board or solder connection somewhere

Crazy question here, did you try the two reset buttons on the main board before?

Crazy question here, did you try the two reset buttons on the main board before?

Only have attempted a factory reset using the button on the piggy-back board. What is the "SSWT" button for? Don't see any other buttons inside the drone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso