Solo drone floats prototype

Finally got some decent weather and was able to fly some over the water again.

It is certainly harder to fly FPV over water since everything looks the same. much harder to judge your speed and distance, so I did not go out far. Got the wife to take some pictures though.

Attachments

• overwaterhover.jpg
    overwaterhover.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 101
  • overwaterclose.jpg
    overwaterclose.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 102
Make it carbon fiber and you can add one more to the list.

It Will be carbon fiber....need to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Got to wait for the gimbal though before it can be finalized.

Check signal level at a distance and in line with the antennas between the legs and the controller. Keep in mind that carbon fiber has been known to cause signalling issues at 2.4 GHz

Check signal level at a distance and in line with the antennas between the legs and the controller. Keep in mind that carbon fiber has been known to cause signalling issues at 2.4 GHz
Thanks for the info...this prototype is fiberglass, does that also produce similar issues?

No, fiberglass is fairly RF transparent.

If you need anyone else to do some testing, I'm on water weekly.

Finally got some decent weather and was able to fly some over the water again.

It is certainly harder to fly FPV over water since everything looks the same. much harder to judge your speed and distance, so I did not go out far. Got the wife to take some pictures though.

From an aircraft piloting perspective, it is virtually impossible to accurately read altitude or speed over water without land nearby as a reference. Also beware of varied temps over varied depths of still waters that may cause sinks or rises.

Your pontoons are very impressive, particularly the take-off.

I did get the gimbal finally, but have not had much time to modify the design for it.

Thanks for asking though. the continued interest helps motivate me.

I am getting back into this project.

The manufacturing of the system as it is would be difficult. even in a kit form. And the cost of getting the Carbon fiber milled is not cheap
Looking at using other materials. Probably thin plastic tubing and 3D printed parts for end caps and connections to the solo itself.

I am getting back into this project.

The manufacturing of the system as it is would be difficult. even in a kit form. And the cost of getting the Carbon fiber milled is not cheap
Looking at using other materials. Probably thin plastic tubing and 3D printed parts for end caps and connections to the solo itself.
great news cant wait.

I am going to try a build on this over the next week. I read that 1 foot of 3.5" diameter pool noodle should float about a 4 lbs. Even though most pool noodles are 3", at 3.9 lbs the solo should still float easily with two 18" cuts and one cross bar cut of the pool noodle.
If I'm successful I'll post pictures

I am going to try a build on this over the next week. I read that 1 foot of 3.5" diameter pool noodle should float about a 4 lbs. Even though most pool noodles are 3", at 3.9 lbs the solo should still float easily with two 18" cuts and one cross bar cut of the pool noodle.
If I'm successful I'll post pictures

I'd love to see it. I fly over water and it's only a matter of time something will happen.

Ok, here is round one. I played around with it this evening. Sink tested and it works. I used a design I saw a while ago on youtube with a phantom. The pool noodle was cut into two 12" sections and one 14" section bisected. I used zip ties and a large band to keep it in place. The 14" bisected sections got it up out of the water a little more for the gimble and add stability. I wanted something I could remove because I'm not always flying over water. The goal for me isn't for water landings or take-offs as that seems like unnecessary risk. It's simply peace of mind flying over water that if something happens my solo is retrievable. It is quite light although I haven't weighed it yet. The solo is front heavy so I had to move the floats forward but I fear it's going to create some drag. I will probaby add some type of glue to make it a little more durable.

View media item 284View media item 286View media item 285View media item 288View media item 289
side note: the googly eyes were added by my kids when I had my iris+. Oddly I found that at parks or in public it made it less threatening for onlookers and gave it some personality.

Ok, here is round one. I played around with it this evening. Sink tested and it works. I used a design I saw a while ago on youtube with a phantom.

Looks good. Have you tried turning on your GoPo and looking at the field of view? Do the pool noodles get in the way? Good choice of color by the way. Almost 3DR Green. I also do not plan on landing or taking off from water. I just don't want it to sink and lose it when a motor fails or other issue happens. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Roy

I installed noodles on my first phantom and it worked great. I have been trying to design something for my solo. Thanks for some great ideas

Looks good. Have you tried turning on your GoPo and looking at the field of view? Do the pool noodles get in the way? Good choice of color by the way. Almost 3DR Green. I also do not plan on landing or taking off from water. I just don't want it to sink and lose it when a motor fails or other issue happens. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Roy

I tried the camera and I can barely see some green in the bottom left corner which is easily cropped out. I was pleased when I found the green noodle for just that reason!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig