Solo discontinued, or what?

Well sure, just because they are no longer being manufactured (for over 1.5 years now!) doesn't mean there isn't left over/unsold stock, or best buy and all the others couldn't still be selling them. I'm sure 3DR has more than a few on their shelves reserved for the Site Scan package customers. It's not like they're running out to best buy to purchase it for their site scan customers. I'm sure they'll have some once the "public" stock runs out too. I doubt they're sitting on "a couple containers" though. It's not like they're selling a $12k package in the same quantities as they were selling regular solos. It's a relatively small niche market.

They're not manufactured on demand. They built them in bulk quantities and have a very large inventory to sell off of. That's how it works with most manufactures.

They're not manufactured on demand. They built them in bulk quantities and have a very large inventory to sell off of. That's how it works with most manufactures.

Reportedly they cost $750 each to build and ship, so the $299 price we've been paying is really to clean out their stock. The CEO's comment in the press that 3DR will build no more drones has been posted a few places on this forum. As mentioned above, they probably have a set number of the Solos set aside for the $12K site scan package. It IS a tough, niche market though. I just signed up for DroneDeploy survey/mapping account for free.

That was reportedly 3DR's cost to manufacture them. And I would imagine that number has some formula built in to account for R&D, shipping, warehousing, payroll, etc. After CA torpedoed 3DR with lots of bad decisions, they were left with a mountain of debt to their manufacturer in China. As part of a deal, that manufacturer now hold most of 3DR's assets. They are the ones behind the fire sales now. The manufacturer wants their money, and doesn't really care what is leftover for 3DR's pockets. It cost the manufacturer a lot less than $750 each. It wouldn't surprise me if they're making a few dollars profit still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44