Solo Cube (Pixhawk 2.0) modification for 5v PWM (safety, and ArduCopter compatibility)

The kapton tape is essential to NOT blowing too many other parts off the board, or melting the big connector. I actually used kapton tape as well as some aluminium tape. It took a surprising amount of heat to get the IC off. I used 3 drips of super glue to stake the wire down to the board as I did not have any thing I could use as conformal coat. Conformal coat is definitely a better choice though.

Reactions: RichWest
The buffer does not have legs, the only way to do the mod is to remove the IC, cut the trace, put the IC back on and add the jumper. The part is a QFN20

Is the buffer a flat pack design or with leg'd terminals. Can't get a good angle from the images.

If leg'd, could the one terminal be lifted, as shown below, and still function as intended?

View attachment 6976

they are available in TSSOP or VQFN package, from the pictures it is not really clear but the PCB pads look like a VQFN layout, so your method of lifting a leg is likely not workin

The buffer does not have legs, the only way to do the mod is to remove the IC, cut the trace, put the IC back on and add the jumper. The part is a QFN20
Bummer....this will be an interesting challenge...nothing ventured, nothing gained. Guess I need to find a couple of circuit boards to practice on....before mucking up the PH.

I appreciate the quick responses.

do you need to mod just one of the IC´s ?
i wonder because there are 4 of them....

Just one since that's where all the Solo's PWM outputs come from. Put a note on the PixHawk so if you reuse it sometime after your solo gives up you will know that it has some 5V PWM outputs.

The kapton tape is essential to NOT blowing too many other parts off the board, or melting the big connector. I actually used kapton tape as well as some aluminium tape. It took a surprising amount of heat to get the IC off. I used 3 drips of super glue to stake the wire down to the board as I did not have any thing I could use as conformal coat. Conformal coat is definitely a better choice though.
Great info and warning, I see the issues to watch out for...now.

Hi, yes, kapton is an common/essencial step in working with hot-air. The package is a QFN20 , there is no chance of "lifting" just a leg.
When possible, (like here) one may also use a preheater, heat the whole assembly to reduce thermal shock and reduce hot air time.

Reactions: RichWest
And "One More Thing (tm)" be careful when putting the PixHawk back together, the IMU connector isn't quite as easy to mate as I first thought, second time was the charm, back together and all motors work. ;>))

I tried to read up on various firmware relating to the benefits of this mod. Stock FW, SiteScan 1.5.3 and then APM. Will this mod be applicable to all listed FW? I'm just a "little" confused and can't sort it out clearly enough.

As it is, I'm running stock FW at present. I am considering SiteScan's 1.5.3 FW. Only looking to resolve the motor stutter issue. Am I heading in the right direction or am I missing something in the translation?

This mod should not effect operation of stock ArduCopter-solo 1.3.1 or the "improved" 1.5.3 firmware.
This mod "should" allow the use of the firmware contained in OpenSolo 2.5-RC1. However the OpenSolo code that figures out whether a Solo is using a Gren Cube or stock PixHAwk will not work since the stock PixHawk is not running master or the RC1 version of the firmware. If one were to manually flash master and change the INS_ACC_ID to 1442082 you MIGHT be able to convince the installer to work.
I'd wait for Matt to chime in on this since this is a corner use case that his code in pixhawk.py may not be set up for.
VCD probably has a way to install that doesn't rely on fooling OpenSolo.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
@just_bruce ... me ? ... if that counts .... unless you think this is an elaborate scam :)
It does count. Wasn't trying to imply anything or be offensive, but when it comes to things like the FMU on the bird it pays to *explicit*. Your post only said it allowed for loading of AC. I was just being thorough.

@cynfab - I forgot to post the modified files I use with Solex (see updated webpage now)
I simply removed the hardware version check.
I will push such files to the Solex repository, or - the author may decide to simply remove the check. (the .hex files are the same anyway)

This mod should not effect operation of stock ArduCopter-solo 1.3.1 or the "improved" 1.5.3 firmware.
This mod "should" allow the use of the firmware contained in OpenSolo 2.5-RC1. However the OpenSolo code that figures out whether a Solo is using a Gren Cube or stock PixHAwk will not work since the stock PixHawk is not running master or the RC1 version of the firmware. If one were to manually flash master and change the INS_ACC_ID to 1442082 you MIGHT be able to convince the installer to work.
I'd wait for Matt to chime in on this since this is a corner use case that his code in pixhawk.py may not be set up for.
VCD probably has a way to install that doesn't rely on fooling OpenSolo.
I'm using the KISS principal with Solo, just want it as simple as possible as to software. Only improving on what 3DR provided, I have no further needs beyond the basic Solo, gimbal and app.

Then you might want to prevent total Solo lockup in air for no reason. I believe that is the idea here, with the new firmware. :)

I've got a spare from a wrecked solo and will attempt this soon....

When this is successfully done, is this the exact same thing/capabilites a greencube or is there still advantages to getting green Cube?

No, the Green Cube has some additional "features" that may be worth investing in. Check out their web site for details.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks