Solo controller no longer produces WIFI!

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently become a new owner of a 3dr Solo and until yesterday it was awesome! Unfortunately yesterday I powered it up and noticed that the controller won't pair up with either the Solo or my iPhone 6s Plus. I have tried using both the main 3dr App for Solo and the Solo flight simulator App, but neither will link up via wifi with the controller. I have checked on my phone wifi settings and the Solo doesn't even show up as recognised like it used to. I've utilised Google power and tried resetting the controller by pressing both the power and fly buttons simultaneously, but the display continues to indicate "waiting for Solo"... The circumstances occurred out of the blue and I can't pin down the issue to any event. My first few flights have been awesome with no issues til now. Spewing! Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

open up the controller and reseat the wifi card.
thats my only suggestion if you are saying that the solo wifi SSID is no longer visible when you scan nearby wifi SSID signals with your phone or tablet.

Thanks /cryhavoc38. I've pulled the controller apart and noticed the two aerial connectors on what I think is the wifi card were loose. Soldered both tight and "reseated" the card. Reassembled, but still no wifi signal...

Thanks /cryhavoc38. I've pulled the controller apart and noticed the two aerial connectors on what I think is the wifi card were loose. Soldered both tight and "reseated" the card. Reassembled, but still no wifi signal...

Are the black and grey cables the right way round?

If you take it apart.
Looking at the wifi card, with the antenna cables to the bottom nearest to your hands, the black cable should be to the right hand side mini sma connector.

Not sure about soldering them on as they do clip together.
The factor seal is electronics grade silicone. A few members, including myself have hot glued them back together when completing the Mikrotik wifi upgrade.

If antenna connectors are properly seated and you've tried a hard reset and then a factory reset and the controller still does not generate a wifi access point, I would guess that you may need a new card or a new iMX6 board. Of course since it is under warranty you will want to chat with tech support.

Also have you gone through a re-pairing process?

Turn on solo and when it's fully booted, press the pair button with a paper clip for about 1 second. Then wait. The controller should go through a "new solo found" sequence.

Just follow the controller it tells you what to do.

his controller doesn't appear to be broadcasting the SSID anymore.
He said his phone doesn't see the solo controller in the list of local WIFI spots.

his controller doesn't appear to be broadcasting the SSID anymore.
He said his phone doesn't see the solo controller in the list of local WIFI spots.

Spot on cryhavoc38. I'd be surprised if the card failed out of the blue like that as the controller hasn't been abused / dropped / etc. I'll check the aerial connections inside the controller as they were loose (but still connected). I didn't have electrical grade glue so I figured soldering the connectors would ensure they didn't move!

Reactions: speatuk
When one of my Solo's did what you're describing, removing the transmitter battery and reconnecting it, did the trick. Also, I don't believe you will get a wifi signal until the transmitter connects to Solo. I discovered that when messing around with wifi analyzer on my tablet.

When one of my Solo's did what you're describing, removing the transmitter battery and reconnecting it, did the trick. Also, I don't believe you will get a wifi signal until the transmitter connects to Solo. I discovered that when messing around with wifi analyzer on my tablet.

I have experienced prior to fail that the wifi signal from the controller still works even when not connected to Solo (that's how I use the simulator - nothing to do with the Solo itself).

Could it be a software issue?

Frank foster - tried the disconnect/connect - no change unfortunately...

Frank foster - tried the disconnect/connect - no change unfortunately...

If it worked before and now it doesn't, then you either have a hardware or a software issue. Have you tried a factory reset? If the reset does not help it's hardware. if the antennas are seated properly its a more complicated hardware issue.

As previously explained, if antenna connectors are properly seated and you've tried a hard reset and then a factory reset and the controller still does not generate a wifi access point that your solo connects and pairs to, I would guess that you may need a new card or a new iMX6 board. Of course since it is under warranty you will want to chat with tech support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barramundi

I think you should double check these antenna connections. How did you solder them? The connector on the antenna has an outer sheath that goes around the connector on the wifi board (if I'm remembering that right...it may be the other way around). I'm guessing that's what you soldered together, but there's also a pin on the inside. The pin is in the center of the connection on the wifi card and goes into a small hole in the center of the antenna connection. It could be bent and not going into the hole (this has happened to me). Assuming my guess is right, and you soldered the outside sheaths together, the pin could be raised out of the hole it's supposed to be in, so not making a connection. Either way, if that center pin isn't making a good connection, you won't see the wifi network and the controller won't find the solo.

As others have said, hot glue is good to secure these connections, but make sure it's hot enough so that it flows down around the connection before setting. I've started using UHU tac adhesive putty on mine, because it's easier to use and easier to remove when I'm working on things.

I think you should double check these antenna connections. How did you solder them? The connector on the antenna has an outer sheath that goes around the connector on the wifi board (if I'm remembering that right...it may be the other way around). I'm guessing that's what you soldered together, but there's also a pin on the inside. The pin is in the center of the connection on the wifi card and goes into a small hole in the center of the antenna connection. It could be bent and not going into the hole (this has happened to me). Assuming my guess is right, and you soldered the outside sheaths together, the pin could be raised out of the hole it's supposed to be in, so not making a connection. Either way, if that center pin isn't making a good connection, you won't see the wifi network and the controller won't find the solo.

As others have said, hot glue is good to secure these connections, but make sure it's hot enough so that it flows down around the connection before setting. I've started using UHU tac adhesive putty on mine, because it's easier to use and easier to remove when I'm working on things.

Yep they are mini SMA connectors

Reactions: perplumblewintz

Hmm, think you are on the ball there. I'll give your suggestion a crack. The eyes are not as sharp as they used to be and I may have missed the pin set up.

Take it that with the black and grey aerial wires, one acts as a receiver and one as a transmitter. The grey connector was the issue for me. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep they are mini SMA connectors
Since I haven't had any issues with a controller, and haven't upgraded any controller internals, I have not had my controller(s) apart... but if those are SMAs... who would solder an SMA m/f together? Excessive soldering heat alone could easily destroy tiny coax.

Since I haven't had any issues with a controller, and haven't upgraded any controller internals, I have not had my controller(s) apart... but if those are SMAs... who would solder an SMA m/f together? Excessive soldering heat alone could easily destroy tiny coax.

That's what I was indirectly getting at.
I would assume, I know never assume, that soldering could damage the minuscule integral parts.

I'm afraid the solder you used on the ufl connectors probably shorted or otherwise damaged them. Although the antenna wire looks like a single conductor it actually has a central conductor with an outer sheath (like an SMA). Even if you can get the connector off the board, the board contacts are likely shorted or damaged..
Might be time to look for a WiFi card upgrade or a new controller.

Thanks guys. After tearing the rest of my hair out by trying out everyone's fixes (without success!), I have bought a new controller from the States for $100 AUS. You may be right with the soldering stuff up - my bad - but this still does not explain why the controller failed prior to my passion fingers soldering. I am looking at replacing the wifi card to fix the old controller, can anyone recommend a good replacement at a reasonable price? I'll keep it as a spare.

Thanks guys. After tearing the rest of my hair out by trying out everyone's fixes (without success!), I have bought a new controller from the States for $100 AUS. You may be right with the soldering stuff up - my bad - but this still does not explain why the controller failed prior to my passion fingers soldering. I am looking at replacing the wifi card to fix the old controller, can anyone recommend a good replacement at a reasonable price? I'll keep it as a spare.

There are several threads in this forum on this topic. Try a quick search on WiFi card upgrade.

Reactions: Barramundi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig