Solo Belly Cam

Reaction score
I went out to do a progress video on a construction site this afternoon. It was about 116 degrees outside so I was a little concerned about the temp but flew anyway. I got the new GoPro Session a few days ago and thought what a great Belly Cam for Solo. I mounted it and flew the construction site. It turned out awesome. About half way through the flight I thought I lost my video signal to the Mini and I freaked out. I was down in a wide trench and oh boy here we go. Trouble time. I immediately hit the left stick and went straight up. As it turned out, it was the Mini powering down due to over heating. Wow! I went back down and finished the flight with no additional problems. I was recording 4 video views with one flight. I had a 4 Black facing forward and recording to the IPad Mini and it's own memory card. The Belly Cam was recording straight down and I was wearing another 4 Black on my hard hat. I couldn't wait to look at the vid's. They all came out and the job only took 10 minutes. I love it!!

Reactions: erikgraham
I went out to do a progress video on a construction site this afternoon. It was about 116 degrees outside so I was a little concerned about the temp but flew anyway. I got the new GoPro Session a few days ago and thought what a great Belly Cam for Solo. I mounted it and flew the construction site. It turned out awesome. About half way through the flight I thought I lost my video signal to the Mini and I freaked out. I was down in a wide trench and oh boy here we go. Trouble time. I immediately hit the left stick and went straight up. As it turned out, it was the Mini powering down due to over heating. Wow! I went back down and finished the flight with no additional problems. I was recording 4 video views with one flight. I had a 4 Black facing forward and recording to the IPad Mini and it's own memory card. The Belly Cam was recording straight down and I was wearing another 4 Black on my hard hat. I couldn't wait to look at the vid's. They all came out and the job only took 10 minutes. I love it!!
But now you have to edit it all together so we can see it :)

Reactions: Raybro
You're right. The more video, the more editing. But that's why I'm into this in the first place. Photography and the creativity editing provides.

I know this is an older thread. Wondering how well the Hero 4 "sessions" works with the Solo. Are all the features there like with the regular hero 4?

I know this is an older thread. Wondering how well the Hero 4 "sessions" works with the Solo. Are all the features there like with the regular hero 4?
Not compatible with the Solo if you are going to use the Gimbal. If you want to just attach it to the belly mount and use it for recording, you could. But no live feed or camera control regardless.

Not compatible with the Solo if you are going to use the Gimbal. If you want to just attach it to the belly mount and use it for recording, you could. But no live feed or camera control regardless.
Jubalr, have you seen/heard of anybody working on a 3rd party gimbal that may fit other cameras (say a Sony) on the Solo and provide FPV as well?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jubalr, have you seen/heard of anybody working on a 3rd party gimbal that may fit other cameras (say a Sony) on the Solo and provide FPV as well?

I have several videos where I've used the Sony F1000V instead of the GoPro (and a few flights with both cameras).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been told by two different 3DR reps that "there is an ActionCam gimbal in the works" but I can assure you no one at Sony USA is aware.

Before the 3DR gimbal was released, there were several people that attached 3rd party gimbals the the Solo. I haven't seen much talk about them since, but you could check over on the Solo Mod group on FB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M