Solex: New App just for Solo!

Hmmmm im might be newb with Solex but im missing something here ....i can't get the map to show up
Im using a Dell Venue 7840 Tablette Thx
Does it show up in the 3dr app? I assume you have a data connection to the internet when attempting?

Does it show up in the 3dr app? I assume you have a data connection to the internet when attempting?
Yes under 3DR app i have the map & yes i have connected my tablette to my home wifi
and connected to solo Using Solex notin

Q: to bring up the map you slide from the left side to the right like 3dr App ?

Last edited:
Go update to newer Ver. Solex. He fixed map problem.
Well im using 1.05v i think this is the last version right ?
Q: to bring up the map you slide from the left side to the right like 3dr App ?

This is awesome, but... $29.99? WAY too pricey for an app

A $0.99 price point only makes financial sense to a developer if the potential market is rather large, which is just isn't for a Solo specific app. How many sales do you think he's going to make, a few hundred, maybe a thousand or two? Developing something like this for two grand, of which Google will take a third, just isnt worth the time.

You have to look at it based on what it does, not on what other useless apps are selling for. This makes a $1000 tool more useful, and as such, $30 isn't asking too much.

A set of props will set you back about the same as this app, and with 3DR effectively done adding features to the Solo, this app is the only hope for anything new.

I have no problem spending $30 on this, even if only to support a developer who took on such a task. This is not like banging out the umpteenth clone of some game using the same game engine everyone before used.

He also mentioned, in this version of Solex, you can save all smart shots & then you can share the shots with others!
It will zip the shots then email them for you! wow!

I really don't understand how can 1 save a shot from the coast of California, then send it to someone else that in Aspen, Co.
I thought it use's GPS coordinates to start & stop the Shot?
I'll ask him later, unless someone here know.
I don't think it's really about sharing with others......unless local. For me I can save shots across platforms. If you uninstall the Solo app, all the saved data goes away. With Solex it does too, but you can save it first by sharing it in an email to yourself or something, and then re-import it by clicking the .zip attachment in the email. Solex will open it and import it if it's a valid "Solex" zip file."

Reactions: SteveReno
I don't think it's really about sharing with others......unless local. For me I can save shots across platforms. If you uninstall the Solo app, all the saved data goes away. With Solex it does too, but you can save it first by sharing it in an email to yourself or something, and then re-import it by clicking the .zip attachment in the email. Solex will open it and import it if it's a valid "Solex" zip file."
Thanks, this makes sense to me.
Your also saying that the saved shot will work IOS to Android & vice a versa?

Reactions: Chuck P
I'm pretty sure 2.4 will be the last major release with new functionality anyway. All the signs are there. Maybe minor updates and bugfixes, but I think its feature set is complete in 3DRs eyes. They're on to enterprise now, fired most of the team who brought us to where we are, and you don't need most of whats in the solo app for enterprise mapping. Actually, probably none of it. They've got to be getting pretty low on the existing inventory, so its not like they are going to have a ton of new customers that they have to appease. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile and they have progressively been winding down since last summer.

You can thank Vu Tran for the android 2.4 update. They weren't even going to do it until the stuff hit the fan on FB. Vu fought for us (after a major calling out by Phillip Rowse) and 3dr decided to do the android update, after they already fired the main person working on android (Fredia - who is also the Tower author) along with MANY others. It's taking longer than expected (its never taken 2 months to do an update for just android before), and it's still not complete, but I don't see him being able to pull that off again with management. There is no money to be made for them creating new functions for us, and they are pretty broke. They announced that they don't even have the manpower to implement the new gopro settings in the app, which should be fairly trivial to implement if it's just a gopro api.

I shouldn't have used the word platform, as I'm sure it won't work from android to ios. I meant from my tablet to phone, and if both those break, I still have the saved files to boot back up in a new device. I've been flying the same cable cam for half a year now, and I've been worried about losing it. I'm trying to do a time laps of a house that I'm building with mpcc. If I where to somehow lose the flight path I would be sick.

I'm pretty sure 2.4 will be the last major release with new functionality anyway. All the signs are there. Maybe minor updates and bugfixes, but I think its feature set is complete in 3DRs eyes. They're on to enterprise now, fired most of the team who brought us to where we are, and you don't need most of whats in the solo app for enterprise mapping. Actually, probably none of it. They've got to be getting pretty low on the existing inventory, so its not like they are going to have a ton of new customers that they have to appease. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile and they have progressively been winding down since last summer.

You can thank Vu Tran for the android 2.4 update. They weren't even going to do it until the stuff hit the fan on FB. Vu fought for us (after a major calling out by Phillip Rowse) and 3dr decided to do the android update, after they already fired the main person working on android (Fredia - who is also the Tower author) along with MANY others. It's taking longer than expected (its never taken 2 months to do an update for just android before), and it's still not complete, but I don't see him being able to pull that off again with management. There is no money to be made for them creating new functions for us, and they are pretty broke. They announced that they don't even have the manpower to implement the new gopro settings in the app, which should be fairly trivial to implement if it's just a gopro api.
Where are you getting this information? Pretty strong claims with unamed sources.

I guess we'll see. Most is speculation based on a lot of reading, hence phrases like "i'm pretty sure", and "maybe...". Others have been released on facebook by people in the know, like Phillip and even Vu. Others are from news articles from the last year. Others are from the words of Mr. Anderson. Others are from ex-3dr employees. If new major features are released for ios and android by 3dr I'll happily eat my text.

Reactions: SARDG
It might - if he does an ios version.

I also recommended this feature to Phu before I mentioned it to Kelly. Both liked it and it got a lot of positive traction. Kelly implemented it for Solex. Unknown if 3dr will do the same for their app, but if they did I imagine it would be cross platform. We were discussing just a simple json file for export/import. Depending on the structure of the file, it might even be able to be imported into google maps offline.

I
It might - if he does an ios version.

I also recommended this feature to Phu before I mentioned it to Kelly. Both liked it and it got a lot of positive traction. Kelly implemented it for Solex. Unknown if 3dr will do the same for their app, but if they did I imagine it would be cross platform. We were discussing just a simple json file for export/import. Depending on the structure of the file, it might even be able to be imported into google maps offline.
Of course. I think Kelly can make that happen, I just highly doubt he will do an iOS version. I also had a some suggestions and fixes that made it into the app as well. This diy community is awesome!

I guess we'll see. Most is speculation based on a lot of reading, hence phrases like "i'm pretty sure", and "maybe...". Others have been released on facebook by people in the know, like Phillip and even Vu. Others are from news articles from the last year. Others are from the words of Mr. Anderson. Others are from ex-3dr employees. If new major features are released for ios and android by 3dr I'll happily eat my text.
The only place speculation is worth anything, is in Stocks, Bonds & commodities... :9)
How does 3DR's Colleen Quinn, new Webinar work with you speculation of company jumping ship?
Webinar.JPG
I see most of what you see, but your over zealous speculation has got to have more meat to it, before posting "the Sky is falling" syndrome .​
I see, as you told me once your self, 3DR expanding to a new level of their expertise & May or May not continue the "Solo" project forever. I's this more accurate then what your saying? Not arguing, just talking with facts.

I guess we'll see. Most is speculation based on a lot of reading, hence phrases like "i'm pretty sure", and "maybe..."
I used to draft policy; ergo, my posts contain a lot of "i'm pretty sure", and "maybe..." and... "should". "will" and "shall" are out of the running when it comes to Solo speculation - or at best... educated guesses.

No one really knows these crazy answers and these speculations with any certainty. Ultimately, it's always "wait and see".

I found that if a forum poster asks PdxSteve when Android final release 2.4.X will be released, he gives the stock answer... "soon, within a few weeks". He knows, and I know, that "who knows???".

First, your insights are very much appreciated. The problem is that when you personalize an analysis you bring YOUR interpretation forward.
I would be really helpful to people who have a great deal of time, energy, passion and money into Solo, if you would simply relay facts and qoute sources.
For instance, its compleyely irresponsible to claim that 3dr is nearly broke. You don't know anything about 3drs finances, or prospects for further funding. If you were to qoute Mr. Anderson saying it were true then we might see cause for your statement. However, if Mr. Anderson did say such a thing (which he has not) it would only indicate that he said it. You get my point?
You seem like an intelligent guy but you're implication that your opinions are fact insults your intelligence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig