Software Update - Version 2.4.0

I think the problem is many people do not understand the difference between FIRMWARE updates and APP updates. Let me try to summarize:

FIRMWARE UPDATES are the updates you're prompted for when you open the app, get prompted to download an update, and it goes through the long process of updating, power cycling, etc. That is the aircraft and the controller only. That process does NOT update the app on your phone/tablet. You phone/tablet is downloading the firmware from 3DR, pushing it to the Solo controller and aircraft, then executing the update process on the aircraft and controller. This update gives the new features and bug fixes to the aircraft and controller only.

APP UPDATES are what you get from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. This is what updates the Solo application on your phone/tablet. This update has nothing whatsoever to do with the firmware on the aircraft or controller. It is just the application on your phone. Just like updating to new version of a game, facebook app, or whatever else you have on your phone. This update gives the new features and bug fixes to the Solo App on your phone/tablet.

To make full use of the new features and bug fixes, you will therefore obviously need both the firmware update and the app update. On 6/15/2016, 3DR released the new firmware which you all have been prompted to download and install. Super. However, 3DR only released the app update for iOS (apple products) available in the apple app store. So people with Apple products got both and can make use of all new features. Unfortunately, 3DR is running behind on the Android app update. So those of us with Android devices have to wait until their done. We get the firmware update like everyone else. But without the app update, we can't make use of those new features yet. Patience.

There was a rather lengthy discussion on the Facebook group about the status/future of Android support. I don't know where that discussion left off or if anything definitive was said officially by 3DR.
Was anyone here following that discussion? The main guy that did the Andoid development now works for google and I don't know if we're going to be in limbo or if active development is going on right now.

I really don't want to have to buy an iDevice.

There was a rather lengthy discussion on the Facebook group about the status/future of Android support. I don't know where that discussion left off or if anything definitive was said officially by 3DR.
Was anyone here following that discussion? The main guy that did the Andoid development now works for google and I don't know if we're going to be in limbo or if active development is going on right now.

I really don't want to have to buy an iDevice.
That was mentioned here a couple of weeks back. I don't do Android but from what I'm hearing here it seems a major PITA. There might be Apple haters but with my experience it just works. I have four Apple computers, three iPads and iPhone, I live in an Apple world.

Yeah they cost more but someone has to pay for those tables in every Mac store worldwide that supposedly come from the same forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/software-update-version-2-4-0.5761/reply?quote=64249

Why most everyone looks at a cup half empty?
Now 3DR has a "Inside" man to get their products in.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/software-update-version-2-4-0.5761/reply?quote=64251
My skin crawls when ever i pick up a device with IOs on it!!!
LOL, it's a well thought out OS that isn't made for everyone.
I like open source technologies, Always did.
Ever since IBM was killed by "IBM compatibles" 1981, I was on board with computing technologies.
My main system:
4.77-MHz Intel 8088 processor, 16 kB base memory, and the PC-DOS operating system with a starting price of $1,565.
Today: 4700-Mhz I7 1151 processor, 64 Gig base memory, window 10 OS, custom build, nothing but the best HW $1595

Open source has brought us this far, as Android followed the "IBM compatibles" at least the software.

& obvious to some reading this, "Open source" is the reason most of us bought our 3DR Solo's.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/software-update-version-2-4-0.5761/reply?quote=64249

Why most everyone looks at a cup half empty?
Now 3DR has a "Inside" man to get their products in.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/software-update-version-2-4-0.5761/reply?quote=64251
My skin crawls when ever i pick up a device with IOs on it!!!
LOL, it's a well thought out OS that isn't made for everyone.
I like open source technologies, Always did.
Ever since IBM was killed by "IBM compatibles" 1981, I was on board with computing technologies.
My main system:
4.77-MHz Intel 8088 processor, 16 kB base memory, and the PC-DOS operating system with a starting price of $1,565.
Today: 4700-Mhz I7 1151 processor, 64 Gig base memory, window 10 OS, custom build, nothing but the best HW $1595

Open source has brought us this far, as Android followed the "IBM compatibles" at least the software.

& obvious to some reading this, "Open source" is the reason most of us bought our 3DR Solo's.

I'm with you on the open source Solo platform, but whatever happened to IBM?

I just came back from testing all the new applications and they are stellar to say the least. I only have 3 batts so filled them up and went out.
Now I'm a month into Solo so I'm no pro, but here are some of my observations:

GEO FENCING : Very cool, though I had a bit of challenge adjusting the size and shape of the fence. After a cpl of tries I got it and was able to make some cool shapes although there are only 4 points to work with - so its a square or rectangle or whatever oblong shape ya want with 4 points. Not sure if I'm correct on the 4 point thing or if you can add more but still I found it works really well. As soon as I hit a boundry, Solo took control, came to a full stop, controller vibrated, told me I was hitting the fence, then went immediately back into FLY mode. I did notice that if you were to back up and then fly forward to hit the fence again, Solo did not stop and the fencing area turns red to warn you're out of bounds. So I think you just get the one stop, then just a warning, though I may be wrong here. Pretty cool still.

AUGMENTED REALITY : It's a cool feature. Nice if you're far out and need your point of reference. It's small enough not to be too annoying while it moves around the screen.

ORBIT: Now when you orbit, you can see the actual orbit in 3D space. Works great and gives you great reference of your orbit while flying and it looks great. Feels a bit more immersive and interactive if thats even possible !

ZIPLINE: Wow! I wasn't ready for this! There are no end points and juuuust about had a mishap. Great for a fly by when you lock the camera. Thats a slick feature for sure! Camera locked on me every pass without fail.

PANO: Only had enough batt to test one of the Pans, but it seemed to be working. I flew up to a point, activated the PANO, and it took the pics and adjusted the cam as it took the pics. Gonna throw it into PS and see how it turns out.

REWIND : Sadly my batts ran out before I could test it.

ALSO, I read on here that a ton of people had to recalibrate etc after the update. I was prepared to do this but when I turned everything on, I was good to go out of the gate.
And the 400ft limit is not the max. You can still adjust the alt.
I did have a small issue when I tried to do a battery 'hot swap" where my gimbal disconnected and cam didnt level, but I turned off the solo and back on again and that solved it immediately. It was my error as I didnt have the 2nd batt turned on when I went to swap it. Idiot!

I"M SO STOKED ABOUT THIS!!! WHY ARE MY CAPS ON?? OH WELL! TOO HAPPY TO CARE!

Cheers and Respect!!

Vince
I thought Zipline had end points and you just flew between then pointing the camera wherever you wanted?

I thought Zipline had end points and you just flew between then pointing the camera wherever you wanted?
That would be cable cam the old cable cam and new one but I can see some problems coming with zipline especially with the stock antennas

I'm with you on the open source Solo platform, but whatever happened to IBM?

Ever since 1982 " World Dominate" IBM was in competition with new "IBM compatibles" Hundreds of Companies started out selling IBM.
Dell, Hewlett-Packard, ect....
Today, IBM still IBM, but living off Royalty & licensing

But..... guys...

tumblr_l03wt8TELC1qaiu0zo1_500.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post and it's a question. I fly manual most of the time when flying solo but when I do take it out to some distances I'll make sure I have a gps lock so it can come home. My question is with the new return to me function does this mean I can fire up solo immediately fly manual and as I'm flying say I hit fly mode because I'm starting to get pretty far out and I hit return to me. Will solo return to my controller wherever I may be even though I didn't get a gps lock when first taking off. If so that's an excellent feature.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post and it's a question. I fly manual most of the time when flying solo but when I do take it out to some distances I'll make sure I have a gps lock so it can come home. My question is with the new return to me function does this mean I can fire up solo immediately fly manual and as I'm flying say I hit fly mode because I'm starting to get pretty far out and I hit return to me. Will solo return to my controller wherever I may be even though I didn't get a gps lock when first taking off. If so that's an excellent feature.

I was just thinking about this too. Up until now, the failsafes were all return to home. If the app has a way to change that failsafe to return to me, or dynamically update the home position so it works, that would be a big help with such operations. However, if there is no way in the app to make the failsafe use return to ME or dynamically update the home position, it won't help.

As long as you have control and telemetry, and you are using a phone/tablet with GPS, Return To Me will return to where the phone/tablet is reporting the current position. This has been available in Tower for some time and I have used it occasionally.

I was just thinking about this too. Up until now, the failsafes were all return to home. If the app has a way to change that failsafe to return to me, or dynamically update the home position so it works, that would be a big help with such operations. However, if there is no way in the app to make the failsafe use return to ME or dynamically update the home position, it won't help.
If it works in the new app like it does in Tower, it is RTH OR RTM. If you select RTM during or before flight, Solo is receiving the NEW Home Point every few seconds. This replaces the take off point. What RTM is doing is replacing the original HP with a new one every few seconds. Loss of controller or activating RTH will fly it to the last updated position, as it is the new HP.

Reactions: pete
Ah ok, that's what I was hoping it was doing. Dynamically updating the home position. So if you fly out of range or the controller craps out, it will have whatever the last reported "ME" position was. Hopefully not under a tree. But if you took off without GPS, probably better than wherever it randomly acquires GPS in flight.

As long as you have control and telemetry, and you are using a phone/tablet with GPS, Return To Me will return to where the phone/tablet is reporting the current position. This has been available in Tower for some time and I have used it occasionally.

I never would have thought to use Tower. Makes sense. Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus