So.. TSA cert?

I bet your questions will be answered in one of the many threads about this today alone. And there is no such thing as a TSA certification.

I bet your questions will be answered in one of the many threads about this today alone. And there is no such thing as a TSA certification.
yea, everyone chimed in with'n a half hour...

but..?

a pilot must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and must take a UAS online training course provided by the FAA. The TSA will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate.

I'm more than 13 with a registered, labeled Solo so....

'Fer fun it is!

"
Fly for Fun

• You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*"

^^ That blog doesn't seem correct. Lots of extra steps that don't see valid. See this website with information directly from the FAA.

Becoming a Pilot

The steps in the two articles are entirely identical, except for order. The FAA article indicates passing the test before filling in the 8710-13 form, and the other article suggests beginning with that step. Otherwise, entirely the same. Both are a 5 step process.

The FAA process doesn't recommend Sportys Study Buddy, however;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
In the blog (is it yours?), it says to go to the FSDO with a paper 8710 application and apply for a student pilot certificate. There is no mention of that anywhere from the FAA. You do not need to do any of that. It's Test and passing code, 8710-13, TSA check is automatic after that, and done.

In the blog (is it yours?), it says to go to the FSDO with a paper 8710 application and apply for a student pilot certificate. There is no mention of that anywhere from the FAA. You do not need to do any of that. It's Test and passing code, 8710-13, TSA check is automatic after that, and done.

Yes, that's what it says, and yes, it's mine. Working with the FAA every day, Inspectors will tell you that it's best to do this at their offices vs online (saves you time, saves them headache. You have to go to the FSDO anyway, so might as well kill two birds with one stone. Filling out the 8710 is the same as registering for a student license. Getting into the FSDO before the test allows the Homeland Security process to be taking place while you study for the test. But...what do we know? We're merely a component of a flight school whom the local ASI's visit weekly. Follow the document if that works better for you.
What the FAA document *says* vs the actual best step process, are usually two different things.

[edit] from the same document for those that wish to not do it online (and hope they didn't make any errors) Local FSDO suggests coming to their office for the registration.
* Applicants who do not wish to complete FAA Form 8710-13 online may choose the paper process. Please note that the processing time will be longer if a paper application is used since it requires in-person approval and signature by a designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR), or an FAA-certificated flight instructor (CFI), and must then be mailed to a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) for final review and signature. Additionally, a temporary remote pilot certificate will not be provided to the applicant.

Last edited:
Why would you want to add completely superfluous steps to the process that serve no functional purpose and, per their own advisory, will make it take longer? A student pilot certificate is not part of any process for Part 107. And the only form is 8710-13. You're suggesting people get certificates and fill out forms that have no bearing on the process at all. Why? Sure, if someone wants to do the 8710-13 by hand, go visit a FSDO, and do it the long way, they can. It's pointless, but you have that option. But student pilot certificates and an 8710 sans -13 is of not functional purpose.

If you have a good reason to suggest this undocumented method that isn't found in any FAA information, please do share. But just coming out and saying "this is what you need to do" is wrong.

Why would you want to add completely superfluous steps to the process that serve no functional purpose and, per their own advisory, will make it take longer? A student pilot certificate is not part of any process for Part 107. And the only form is 8710-13. You're suggesting people get certificates and fill out forms that have no bearing on the process at all. Why? Sure, if someone wants to do the 8710-13 by hand, go visit a FSDO, and do it the long way, they can. It's pointless, but you have that option. But student pilot certificates and an 8710 sans -13 is of not functional purpose.

If you have a good reason to suggest this undocumented method that isn't found in any FAA information, please do share. But just coming out and saying "this is what you need to do" is wrong.

Because the 8710-13 is not yet available. Not everyone wants to wait for it? The student cert gets one started, and that's all that's needed to get going now. It transfers directly over.

But that's what I'm not getting. Maybe I'm being thick headed and missing the point. Or maybe you're trying to hard. I'm not sure. It gets one started on what? The 15 minutes it takes to electronically fill out the 8710-13 when it becomes available?

The Homeland Security/TSA security check can be started NOW, as the blog says, once you apply for Student status. Then you're not waiting for that.
In other words, start with the application now. Study now. When the test becomes available, you'll be finished with or near-finished with the TSA/HS process, and won't have to wait for "after the test."
There's more than one way to skin a cat, and this is a means of getting the slowest portion of the process started earlier in the process. Does that make more sense?

I see. So it's basically a way to get the TSA background check out of the way prior to the August roll out of 107? Clever.

That said, I think you may want to adjust how you've worded your blog to be more specific about this. Especially since once 107 goes into effect in August, this paper 8710 and Student Pilot Certificate to shoehorn a TSA check is no longer a factor.

I see. So it's basically a way to get the TSA background check out of the way prior to the August roll out of 107? Clever.

That said, I think you may want to adjust how you've worded your blog to be more specific about this. Especially since once 107 goes into effect in August, this paper 8710 and Student Pilot Certificate to shoehorn a TSA check is no longer a factor.

I've reworded it, as if you weren't understanding the intent it's obvious to me that I wasn't very clear.
BTW, the test is damned easy, and it's now been opened up to anyone to take it as a "test." The score won't count, but it's great for practice. I originally thought it was only open to rated Airmen. It's not.

I may be alone on this; but my issue with the process is that there is no oral test for the pilot to demonstrate they even know the front from the rear. How can you tell someone they are cleared for commercial work without even knowing if they have the very basics of piloting down first? They study online for a test, go to the office where it is administered, pass and walk out certified. What does that demonstrate? That they know the basics of airspace restrictions? There should be at least a basic flying test required where you at least have to demonstrate that should your sacred GPS fail while nose-in, you have the basic ability to recover and land without running into someone/something. How about flying 600' out and experience GPS interference? Can you recognize and correct orientation? So, you can be certified before you even take it out of the box the first time? Apparently. Suppose we applied the same standards to truck & taxi drivers. Passing a written test is fine. It demonstrates you have the ability to read and study. Given the choice, I'd rather have a good safe pilot that couldn't read. But ideally they would demonstrate both.

For those that have been on this forum for a while, how many times have we seen users crash and try to blame the Solo, when we know it was usually loss of GPS while they were flying in the yard of their suburban home or they panicked while nose in and went the wrong direction. Both cases claiming that Solo 'failed to respond' to their input or went off on it's own and hit something? How many of you remember this 'use to be famous' video just after Solo started shipping last year. A woman flying a demonstration for a local dealer. We know now that while hovering nose in, she panicked and went the wrong way with the sticks. But she could have very easily been certified by today's standard.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rant Over..

I may be alone on this; but my issue with the process is that there is no oral test for the pilot to demonstrate they even know the front from the rear. How can you tell someone they are cleared for commercial work without even knowing if they have the very basics of piloting down first? They study online for a test, go to the office where it is administered, pass and walk out certified. What does that demonstrate? That they know the basics of airspace restrictions? There should be at least a basic flying test required where you at least have to demonstrate that should your sacred GPS fail while nose-in, you have the basic ability to recover and land without running into someone/something. How about flying 600' out and experience GPS interference? Can you recognize and correct orientation? So, you can be certified before you even take it out of the box the first time? Apparently. Suppose we applied the same standards to truck & taxi drivers. Passing a written test is fine. It demonstrates you have the ability to read and study. Given the choice, I'd rather have a good safe pilot that couldn't read. But ideally they would demonstrate both.

For those that have been on this forum for a while, how many times have we seen users crash and try to blame the Solo, when we know it was usually loss of GPS while they were flying in the yard of their suburban home or they panicked while nose in and went the wrong direction. Both cases claiming that Solo 'failed to respond' to their input or went off on it's own and hit something? How many of you remember this 'use to be famous' video just after Solo started shipping last year. A woman flying a demonstration for a local dealer. We know now that while hovering nose in, she panicked and went the wrong way with the sticks. But she could have very easily been certified by today's standard.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rant Over..

Your rant is warranted, and this was brought up last September in the meetings. No one seemed to care. There is an alleged "Phase 2" that will be proposed next spring. Truly, it's pandering to the administration's demand for "Do something, dammit!" However, a look back at Parachuting (part 105) and non-powered (part 103) demonstrates a similar cautious approach, after which AC's were issued, followed by amendments to the FARs. This may be the same time-honored approach.

Reactions: Jubalr
Great resource, I was wondering how to jump start the TSA check.

Question... This was part 5, I read parts 1 and 2, where are 3 and 4.

Great resource, I was wondering how to jump start the TSA check.

Question... This was part 5, I read parts 1 and 2, where are 3 and 4.

Part 3

Part 4 (which is the original part 2)

Part 6 is about to go up, defining the parameters of 107 with questions taken from the actual test.

Your rant is warranted, and this was brought up last September in the meetings. No one seemed to care. There is an alleged "Phase 2" that will be proposed next spring. Truly, it's pandering to the administration's demand for "Do something, dammit!" However, a look back at Parachuting (part 105) and non-powered (part 103) demonstrates a similar cautious approach, after which AC's were issued, followed by amendments to the FARs. This may be the same time-honored approach.
That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, but certainly seems a good possibility,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus