SAR equipment / accessories

Reaction score
Are there any connections on SOLO we could use / hack to attach a small rc wench to?

Lets say, a subject is on the side of a cliff and stuck, and with a rc wench that has a fishing / filament line with a sinker on the end. That could be lowered to that person to hold , SOLO is then flown back to the top, line is cut and a rope is attached and pulled down by the person... person ties off and pulled up SAR members on top... An idea...

Cool idea someone make this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean winch as on the front of a truck?

Yes, but a RC wench like on the 4x4 trucks. That's the closest think I can think of that already built. Just need to hack the control to lower down and up. Maybe add another function / toggle switch or if there is an connection we can use off of SOLO?

Need to wench line down and also wench new line in...

You don't need a winch for this. Anyone ever pack/rig a parachute? Take a playing card, a couple rubber bands, some spider wire, and you're in business.
Allow a reasonable length of line to hang free with the weight attached, and after it's grabbed by the stranded guy just fly Solo up and away. The line will slip off very smoothly and without friction if properly packed.
As for a winch to reel things back in, I'm not sure I understand what that would accomplish.

Just a point from working with some SAR personnel, you can't always trust the victim to tie themselves off. In most cases someone would descend to assist. Also this situation assumes they have both hands available, with enough dexterity to perform such a task in the first place (no broken bones).

You don't need a winch for this. Anyone ever pack/rig a parachute? Take a playing card, a couple rubber bands, some spider wire, and you're in business.
Allow a reasonable length of line to hang free with the weight attached, and after it's grabbed by the stranded guy just fly Solo up and away. The line will slip off very smoothly and without friction if properly packed.
As for a winch to reel things back in, I'm not sure I understand what that would accomplish.

Marick that's an idea, thanks..The wench idea is just having a controlled device to lower and when line is used , reload line by the wench / rewind.

Wench:
fab1efc89527731bfd652efbc21e45d0.jpg

Winch:

RCY1162-Rough-Country-Jeep-Winch-Mounting-Plate.jpg

;)

I used the solo for SAR research and partnered with Yosemite. I make a program to break up the live video feed from the controller into blocks and pass them through a neural net for checking if there's a person in the image. Turns out it's extremely difficult to find people, especially from helicopter using your eyes.

I used the solo for SAR research and partnered with Yosemite. I make a program to break up the live video feed from the controller into blocks and pass them through a neural net for checking if there's a person in the image. Turns out it's extremely difficult to find people, especially from helicopter using your eyes.

How well does it work? sounds interesting.

How well does it work? sounds interesting.

If it was in a type of environment it was trained well on, it could easily tell if there was someone with around 90% accuracy. You would need a lot more data to make it truly useful.

Reactions: Maddog
I used the solo for SAR research and partnered with Yosemite. I make a program to break up the live video feed from the controller into blocks and pass them through a neural net for checking if there's a person in the image. Turns out it's extremely difficult to find people, especially from helicopter using your eyes
thats pretty cool. Have you ever looked at the CanberraUAV code, it's won the last two Outback Challenge's for locating a person in the bush.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc