Ribcage release the first video from the 3DR Solo Ribcage Air

Reaction score
Back-bone Tweeted preview video of the new Ribcage Air which has been designed with the Solo in mind. This is proof that 3rd parties are willing to make Solo focused upgrades.

This is a preview of the 4.2mm lens.
Dropbox - Solo_misty_morning_4.2mm_3K-v2.mp4

This is the 5.4mm:
Dropbox - Solo_autumn-evening_3K.mp4

You can buy the bits separately, for example the new balance weight is worth having even if you don't bother with the Ribcage itself, but there's a very complete bundle here:

http://www.back-bone.ca/product/ribcage-air-solo-pro-bundle/

Last edited:
The video looks pretty average. I presume there is no fisheye effect with these lenses, but what else?

Reactions: Trevor
There are more options you can put on any M12 lens but 4.2mm to 5.4mm is really the logical range.

The point of the lenses is to remove fisheye, you can also easily drop in a lightweight ND filter.

Reactions: Trevor
Good to see these first Solo accessories! That's why I'm eyeing the Solo, the evolving system. Mostly hoping for a professional quality video camera though. At least 1" sensor with flat color profile and full manual control from the remote :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the point of a new camera with the same sensor size?
It's not a new camera, the point is you can change lenses without hassle, so you could swap in seconds from a 4.2mm to a 5.4mm or change NDs, you can take the Ribcage off the Solo then put it on a tripod with a C Mount lens and film ground shots using shallow depth of field, for example... It's about having more freedom and ease of use.

Reactions: J R and Maddog
Has anybody watched the Ribcage Air install video?

You just about disassemble the entire GoPro and you have to handle the sensor several times in the process. Not for the mechanically challenged.

For almost $200.00 more, one can have the Blackmagic Micro 4/3 camera with out lens. A much bigger sensor and whole range of lenses available. Who knows if 3DR is working on a gimbal for this camera?

I'm not going to pay all that for a Hero4 when the Hero5 is around the corner lol. Gimme my 4k/60fps and 8k!! I'll mod that one!!

Has anybody watched the Ribcage Air install video?

You just about disassemble the entire GoPro and you have to handle the sensor several times in the process. Not for the mechanically challenged.

For almost $200.00 more, one can have the Blackmagic Micro 4/3 camera with out lens. A much bigger sensor and whole range of lenses available. Who knows if 3DR is working on a gimbal for this camera?
According to BM, they are working on a solo solution.

I have the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera. Too heavy for the solo. I had preordered their Micro Cinema camera, but that's 1 pound with the lens, still a bit big I'd think. I'd love to see what they come up with. I'd switch over to it if they do.

I have the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera. Too heavy for the solo. I had preordered their Micro Cinema camera, but that's 1 pound with the lens, still a bit big I'd think. I'd love to see what they come up with. I'd switch over to it if they do.
Same with us, we have the pocket and would buy the cinema with gimbal if it were to work with solo in a heartbeat.

i would pick up that balance plate for the stock unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig