RevA/revB

Reaction score
The solo that I just bought has a green RevA board. Should I be concerned? Should I do the cardboard or Shield modification on this before I start flying? Is it worth exchanging it at Best Buy in hopes of getting a REV B board?

first fly it, many have flown rev A with no issues
the big concern was long lock times
all the 3DR would benefit from the new shield you can buy on their site.
But for ultimate GPS performance grab the M8N upgrade from mrobotics

Okay...one last question....do you feel like the m8n gps upgrade is the ultimate solution? Meaning, a person would have little to no concern of gps loss? How does it compare to other drones? Is the $80 one the recommended board?

I don't think there is a gps that is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. The M8N gps upgrade was made for a simple plug-n-play install. There are others out there that have to be soldered, but I believe most of us who have upgraded our gps are using Jordi's M8N. And, yes, it is the $80 one on the mrobotics website. It's best feature, besides being plug-n-play, is that it picks up satellites that the stock gps can't pick up. That gives you more satellites available to help you keep your Solo where you want it. Now, there are always things beyond our control that can affect gps signals. Probably the most common, is solar flares or storms, which can cause magnetic interference here on earth. A lot of us download apps that will give you the K-index levels at any given time. If the K-index is above 5, I usually will wait till it drops to fly. I am ultra cautious though. It is just another tool we use in the field to help us with all the knowledge we can get to fly safe. I hope this helps you, and good luck.

I think too many drone users, particularly new drone users (I won't call them pilots - I won't even call myself a pilot), are searching for that ultimate crashless drone... the drone that never loses GPS or W-Fi signal, never has a hiccup with the electronics, hardware or software, works with ANY device, never flies away for any reason, and ultimately a drone with artificial intelligence that can outsmart a user's poor setup and flight decisions - in spite of themselves.

I once heard it said that if you make something completely idiot-proof, only an idiot will want to use it.

Reactions: Chuck
I don't think there is a gps that is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. The M8N gps upgrade was made for a simple plug-n-play install. There are others out there that have to be soldered, but I believe most of us who have upgraded our gps are using Jordi's M8N. And, yes, it is the $80 one on the mrobotics website. It's best feature, besides being plug-n-play, is that it picks up satellites that the stock gps can't pick up. That gives you more satellites available to help you keep your Solo where you want it. Now, there are always things beyond our control that can affect gps signals. Probably the most common, is solar flares or storms, which can cause magnetic interference here on earth. A lot of us download apps that will give you the K-index levels at any given time. If the K-index is above 5, I usually will wait till it drops to fly. I am ultra cautious though. It is just another tool we use in the field to help us with all the knowledge we can get to fly safe. I hope this helps you, and good luck.
Chuck, which app are you using to get the whether conditions? I personally use UAV Forecast for IOS.

I have android, so I am using K-Index Lite Monitor. It tells the current conditions as far as the KV index. I may be downloading one of the apps that forecast future conditions as an added safeguard.

I have android, so I am using K-Index Lite Monitor. It tells the current conditions as far as the KV index. I may be downloading one of the apps that forecast future conditions as an added safeguard.
UAV Forecast has 24 hours of free forecast, the paid version has 7 days hourly forecast. I believe that there is an Android version also.

I installed the GPS upgrade today with the cardboard spacer. Took about 15 minutes. At one point today over the swamps of Florida I was seeing 21 satellites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado