Return To Launch In 3DR Solo

Azi

Reaction score
I have a question about RTL. If this option is initiated after the loss of connection with the controller will Solo come back to the starting point along the original path it took to get to this point or will it fly in the straight path without any regard for obstacles?

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Yes if in GPS modes RTL will bring solo back if you get a disconnect, before you had to adjust your height in mission planner, now there is an altitude setting in your solo app. Solo will go up or down to your set altitude and head straight back home then land on RTL. No obstacle avoidance but it will go straight to your set height first.

Pretty sure other modes like manual will still go into RTL, but I believe there's also a couple flight modes that it will not and will simply land if connection is lost. Be careful using the advanced modes until you know exactly which modes do and don't offer RTL.

Yes if in GPS modes RTL will bring solo back if you get a disconnect, before you had to adjust your height in mission planner, now there is an altitude setting in your solo app. Solo will go up or down to your set altitude and head straight back home then land on RTL. No obstacle avoidance but it will go straight to your set height first.

So if I shoot video flying between buildings and because of a connection problems Solo initiates RTL unless I know exactly what is the hight of the tallest building in the area I am very much screwed. I thought Solo would follow the same path it flew to this point and now it tries to come back from it automatically.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Just set your RTL to a couple hundred feet or what ever you need, could even be up to 400. Just keep in mind higher it goes up the longer and more battery power it'll take, so if not needed keep it at a lower level. It can even be adjusted mid flight in your settings menu so it's a pretty good system as long as you remember to adjust it.

So if I shoot video flying between buildings and because of a connection problems Solo initiates RTL unless I know exactly what is the hight of the tallest building in the area I am very much screwed. I thought Solo would follow the same path it flew to this point and now it tries to come back from it automatically.
I would like to have it better than unexpected RTL zoom to the sky

I have a question about RTL. If this option is initiated after the loss of connection with the controller will Solo come back to the starting point along the original path it took to get to this point or will it fly in the straight path without any regard for obstacles?
It will not return home using the original path. Once RTL is initiated it will make a beeline home.
Sounds like you are planning a flight between tall buildings.
That would be risky as you would have a chance of not only losing radio contact but GPS as well.

You'd be better off using Tower to lay out your course. It can follow a path you designate even if signal is lost.

Still, very risky around buildings, streets, people.

Reactions: Raybro
You'd be better off using Tower to lay out your course. It can follow a path you designate even if signal is lost.

Still, very risky around buildings, streets, people.
Only if referring to controller signal loss. Tower would still require a good GPS signal, which could be iffy for any machine flying between tall buildings.

I "believe" Solo will go UP to the RTL altitude on RTH, but not come down to it. If it is higher than the RTH altitude it will bee line to the RTH home point and only then come down to home. Most times not an issue, but just to make sure people don't have different expectations.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I "believe" Solo will go UP to the RTL altitude on RTH, but not come down to it. If it is higher than the RTH altitude it will bee line to the RTH home point and only then come down to home. Most times not an issue, but just to make sure people don't have different expectations.
Earl is correct. When RTL is invoked, Solo will climb to the pre-set height. But if already at a higher altitude, will RTL at the height it is at until over home point.

Not sure about that. No GPS would put it in manual mode.

Earl is correct. When RTL is invoked, Solo will climb to the pre-set height. But if already at a higher altitude, will RTL at the height it is at until over home point.
No GPS or radio. What does Solo do? Land.....keep flying into oblivion?

No GPS or radio. What does Solo do? Land.....keep flying into oblivion?
No controller signal AND no GPS, Solo lands where it is. No Controller= RTL. No GPS= Manual Mode

It will not return home using the original path. Once RTL is initiated it will make a beeline home.
Sounds like you are planning a flight between tall buildings.
That would be risky as you would have a chance of not only losing radio contact but GPS as well.

I already upgraded the GPS receiver in Solo to a unit that also relies on Glonass satellites. I must say it does exibit much shorter time for signal acquisition and and does not lose often however, I did not try it between tall buildings (300-400 meters). I figured that if ordinary Garmin GPS with no Glonass sensitivity keeps the signal in this same spot there is a good chance a GPS and Glonass receiver will suffice. Also, I plan on redesigning the plastic cover for Solo GPS compartment to allow for the receiver to be mounted over the level of the battery to improve signal quality even farther. What do you think about this?

I already upgraded the GPS receiver in Solo to a unit that also relies on Glonass satellites. I must say it does exibit much shorter time for signal acquisition and and does not lose often however, I did not try it between tall buildings (300-400 meters). I figured that if ordinary Garmin GPS with no Glonass sensitivity keeps the signal in this same spot there is a good chance a GPS and Glonass receiver will suffice. Also, I plan on redesigning the plastic cover for Solo GPS compartment to allow for the receiver to be mounted over the level of the battery to improve signal quality even farther. What do you think about this?
Sounds good. I have not had any issues with GPS on mine. I typically fly in the open country and have not had any GPS signal loss.
With prior firmware versions it used to take 2 or 3 minutes to get a lock but now it is ready to fly by the time I get the app started.

Anybody know how many sats we can get with solo I'd had 14 before but this morning saw 15 for the first time. Even with that 15 I got the drift issue but I'd assumed 14 was it.

I'm at a park now and I'm fine after its up a ways but I still have odd long drift at low altitude. I'll try stick cal tonight, otherwise mines doing good since update. Hope sticks help and yea I do remember rtl goes up not down sorry on that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado