Replacement Solo not connectingy

Reaction score
Last fall, I had a drone go wacky. I did the send in the logs, and got much assistance from this forum- THANKS VERY MUCH! If I forgot to say that. Anyway, I did get a full replacement from 3DR under the warranty. It was a refurb, but still I was happy.

By the time it arrived, so did the rain and then the winter, so I couldn't fly. Then the New Canadian drone rules came out making it difficult to fly. Finally, this past weekend, I was visiting a farm. They wanted to have an aerial shot, I was happy to oblige.

So I take it out of my carrier, and try to link everything up.. the controller won't link to the drone. I fiddle with it, and when changing antennas , it seems to link up for a few seconds. Bet then, nothing

I assume it is paired because it seemed to connect, but perhaps not. The iPad connected in the GENERAL WiFi , but not in the program.

Can anyone suggest my next step? It knew the gimbal was not on the drone
Please help

Last fall, I had a drone go wacky. I did the send in the logs, and got much assistance from this forum- THANKS VERY MUCH! If I forgot to say that. Anyway, I did get a full replacement from 3DR under the warranty. It was a refurb, but still I was happy.

By the time it arrived, so did the rain and then the winter, so I couldn't fly. Then the New Canadian drone rules came out making it difficult to fly. Finally, this past weekend, I was visiting a farm. They wanted to have an aerial shot, I was happy to oblige.

So I take it out of my carrier, and try to link everything up.. the controller won't link to the drone. I fiddle with it, and when changing antennas , it seems to link up for a few seconds. Bet then, nothing

I assume it is paired because it seemed to connect, but perhaps not. The iPad connected in the GENERAL WiFi , but not in the program.

Can anyone suggest my next step? It knew the gimbal was not on the drone
Please help
You'd better talk to TS. As I tried to get in touch with TS via Chat and just got working hours CLOSED: EVERYDAY, I would try and share my experience!

First you need to be sure if Solo connects to Controller. If Controller shows "Waiting for Solo" then they are not paired and you need to initiate a pairing procedure. As you have noted your Solo is a refurbished one meaning that Solo and Controller maybe of different batches. If you could not pair them as per 3DR instructions on their website you'd better send them an e-mail to [email protected] but do not expect an answer soon.
Alternatively (if you are experienced) you could try ON YOUR OWN RISK and do factory reset of both Solo and Controller, then pair them.
Of, course it could be a hardware problem, a loose connection of WiFi Antennas to Solo's mainboard, but for that you will have to disassemble Solo AGAIN ON YOUR OWN RISK.

My personal advice before starting any steps, try to define the problem:
- does Solo and Controller pair?
- If they do not pair, is Controller working properly?
- Does it create a WiFi network? Could you login to WiFi network? If you could login to Controller WiFi, then you will be able to run 3DR App and you'd better see system info - where it is written all f/w's revisions. See if there is any number against Solo and Ardupilot. If not - probably Solo is not connected to Controller.
Then you could receive further help when you define the problem.

P.S. Never remove Controller Antennas while Controller is working as this could damage Controller's transmitter.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: cameraguy
Your comments and suggestions do help.

One Question. I always thought the wifi was in the Drone, not the controller. Are you telling me the controller is the wifi network? The iPad could connect to the wifi network, which you are saying is the wifi network, but the controller still didn't show a connection to the Solo.

Thanks for your help

Your comments and suggestions do help.

One Question. I always thought the wifi was in the Drone, not the controller. Are you telling me the controller is the wifi network? The iPad could connect to the wifi network, which you are saying is the wifi network, but the controller still didn't show a connection to the Solo.

Thanks for your help
Yes, the Controller works as the hub. The Solo and phone/tablet connect to the Controller.

Power on the Controller and then the Solo. Do not connect you phone/tablet to the network until the Solo and Controller connect.

If they don't connect, they need to be paired.

Then power down everything, power up and connect in a good order to test:
1) Controller
2) Solo
3) Gopro
4) After Controller connects with Solo, connect your phone/tablet and app.

Reactions: cameraguy
Yes, the Controller works as the hub. The Solo and phone/tablet connect to the Controller.

Power on the Controller and then the Solo. Do not connect you phone/tablet to the network until the Solo and Controller connect.

If they don't connect, they need to be paired.

Then power down everything, power up and connect in a good order to test:
1) Controller
2) Solo
3) Gopro

Great, thanks for your help!

Great, thanks for your help!

I probably shouldn't have been replying to you earlier while grilling - I got the startup order wrong. It would still work, but this is better:

1) Controller
2) Gopro
3) Solo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150