Replaced wireless cards, Can't connect to any satellites

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my wireless cards in my Solo and controller. I followed the instructions of a few tutorials I found online and used this wireless card: MikroTik 802.11b/g/n 2GHz 800mW MiniPCI-Express Wireless Card

After putting everything back together, I started up the Solo but it wasn't connecting to any satellites. One step I wasn't sure if I followed correctly was reattaching the transmitter and receiver to the wireless card since it wasn't clear in the tutorial or on the card. I'm thinking they are either both correct or both incorrect, but not just one. I went back and swapped the connections on both wireless cards, but still get no satellite connections.

Everything else seems to function correctly. Controller and drone are connecting, GoPro is streaming, etc.

I have two questions I'm hoping to solve:

1) Any ideas on what would be causing Solo to not connect to any satellites?

2) Is there any way to confirm/test if the transmitter and receiver are hooked up correctly? The stock cards used J2 and J3 connections, while the card I replaced used 200 and 201 labeled connections.

Double check the gps connection plug.
The wifi cards are just communication between solo, the controller and tablet/phone you are using. The wifi has nothing to do with gps lock.

Reactions: Trader J and pyrate
I recently upgraded my wireless cards in my Solo and controller. I followed the instructions of a few tutorials I found online and used this wireless card: MikroTik 802.11b/g/n 2GHz 800mW MiniPCI-Express Wireless Card

After putting everything back together, I started up the Solo but it wasn't connecting to any satellites. One step I wasn't sure if I followed correctly was reattaching the transmitter and receiver to the wireless card since it wasn't clear in the tutorial or on the card. I'm thinking they are either both correct or both incorrect, but not just one. I went back and swapped the connections on both wireless cards, but still get no satellite connections.

Everything else seems to function correctly. Controller and drone are connecting, GoPro is streaming, etc.

I have two questions I'm hoping to solve:

1) Any ideas on what would be causing Solo to not connect to any satellites?

2) Is there any way to confirm/test if the transmitter and receiver are hooked up correctly? The stock cards used J2 and J3 connections, while the card I replaced used 200 and 201 labeled connections.
Do your cards have R11e-2HNd as the model number?

Double check the gps connection plug.
The wifi cards are just communication between solo, the controller and tablet/phone you are using. The wifi has nothing to do with gps lock.

I thought that was the case. I did checked the connection on the GPS plug, but it was secure on both ends.

I ended up taking everything apart and putting it back together, following the instructions closely. After a few tests, I was able to start acquiring satellites, but still getting weird behavior. Initially I was getting 4 satellites, but wasn't getting a lock and wasn't able to fly. I fly from this location normally and usually get 6+ satellites in a couple minutes at most. After more tweaking of connections and testing, I was starting to get up to 6 satellites but the number would fluctuate and I was going in and out of satellite lock... it would show the "Hold FLY to start the motors", but 10 seconds later it would go back to searching for GPS, 30 seconds later it would reconnect and then disconnect again shortly after.

Eventually I got to the point where I got satellite lock (or so I thought) and started it up. Shortly after take-off I noticed the Solo was unresponsive to my controls... I would try to fly left but Solo would jolt forward or to the right and seemed to have a mind of it's own. It ended up flying into a tree and taking itself down (luckily from only a few feet off the ground).

Not sure what I screwed up, but something is definitely off. Still pretty new to drones, so appreciate any help you/anyone can offer.

After you removed the bat. & gps cover did you remove the GPS wire from the cover or main board and when you did remove it did you pull on the wires are did you release the lock clip?

After you removed the bat. & gps cover did you remove the GPS wire from the cover or main board and when you did remove it did you pull on the wires are did you release the lock clip?

I removed the GPS wire from the main board by releasing the lock clip and left the GPS wire connected to the GPS unit/battery tray (not sure of the proper name). I made sure not to remove any of the individual wires and tried to put as little strain on the connections as possible. I've since re-checked this cable a couple of times and can confirm both ends are/were locked into place.

No, I'm still using the stock GPS module with the new wireless cards I installed.

I previously did a modification to the GPS module by adding a spacer between the GPS module and the black/copper cover that comes installed over it. That was about a week ago. I did some testing after that update and it cut GPS lock time down from around 3 minutes previously to under 90 seconds, with no issues connecting or maintaining a connection (although can't say I had extensively testing this on it's own...).

It just has to be the GPS, check the pin's to see if bent and the plug's for a pin pushed back

if you did make sure that you have put it back the same way that it was facing from the factory. I ran into this problem myself. if you did, and you cannot remember which way, there is a little circuit card in the leg on the wire, just turn it around so that it is facing out.

This sounds like you have a complete crap A version GPS. If you're measuring time to lock in minutes, nothing you tinker with in there is going to fix it. You need this Solo GPS Shield V2 - 3DR to replace the useless copper shield.

Or by an mRo GPS.

Reactions: speatuk
Shield V2 and mRobotics module.
Results: averaging 21 satellites and HDOP 0.8 and lower. Definitely worth the investment.

But he had it working before new wifi cards, somethings not right here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl