QA Issues with Solo

D

DodgeP

I'm reading about a lot of issues with the Solo, most could have been avoided with an decent QA before packing and shipping. I used to build ThinkPads back in the early 90's. No ThinkPad ever left the line without passing on my QA station.

What experiences have you seen that QA could have resolved?

I found today that the plate my GoPro attaches to was not assembled correctly. Two of the rubber bumpers that sit below the plate weren't seated and they were actually stuck inside the body of the bird. I will post pics shortly.image.jpgimage.jpgThe first pic is how all the bumpers should be. The second pic is how the back bumpers were seated. I had to open her up and seat them correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
I spent an hour on the phone with 3DR tech support on Friday trying to resolve my "controller signal loss" and "controller stick errors," finally to be told I probably have a defective controller.

I was told they would get back with me either for further troubleshooting, or to issue an RMA. Still waiting...

Bad controller should have been caught by good QA.

Reactions: DodgeP
I spent an hour on the phone with 3DR tech support on Friday trying to resolve my "controller signal loss" and "controller stick errors," finally to be told I probably have a defective controller.

I was told they would get back with me either for further troubleshooting, or to issue an RMA. Still waiting...

Bad controller should have been caught by good QA.

I had the same issue and 3dr tech support assisted me with using putty.exe to access "root" on the controller and calibrate it. Once that was done the error went away and has not returned.

I'm not sure if they have already done this with yours but I would suggest you ask them to do it before assuming the hardware is bad. After a 20 min. wait which I thought was reasonable, it took about 10 minutes to fix the problem.

I was very satisfied with their support and have flown 6 batteries with no issues at all. The first level support had to transfer me to a "tech" to actually implement the fix.

Good luck

I had the same issue and 3dr tech support assisted me with using putty.exe to access "root" on the controller and calibrate it. Once that was done the error went away and has not returned.

I'm not sure if they have already done this with yours but I would suggest you ask them to do it before assuming the hardware is bad. After a 20 min. wait which I thought was reasonable, it took about 10 minutes to fix the problem.

I was very satisfied with their support and have flown 6 batteries with no issues at all. The first level support had to transfer me to a "tech" to actually implement the fix.

Good luck
Please read my post again.

Do you see where I spent an hour on the phone with 3DR's tech support?

That was not an hour waiting, that was an hour talking to the engineer Imalia, trying to resolve the problem. We couldn't connect with Putty.
The controller wasn't capable of doing that.
It was THEIR ENGINEER who concluded I most likely have a defective radio. It was a bit beyond just an "assumption."

Now I'm waiting for the engineer, Imalia, to relay that information to customer support to decide if the RMA is issued for just the controller or for both the Solo (which appears to be fine) and the controller.

Please read my post again.

Do you see where I spent an hour on the phone with 3DR's tech support?

That was not an hour waiting, that was an hour talking to the engineer Imalia, trying to resolve the problem. We couldn't connect with Putty.
The controller wasn't capable of doing that.
It was THEIR ENGINEER who concluded I most likely have a defective radio. It was a bit beyond just an "assumption."

Now I'm waiting for the engineer, Imalia, to relay that information to customer support to decide if the RMA is issued for just the controller or for both the Solo (which appears to be fine) and the controller.

Just trying to help you out man. Did you read my first reply? It said IF you haven't already done that! No where in your post did you indicate if you tried the putty route. Don't be a jackass. I couldn't care less about your controller working now. I try to post a suggestion and all you can do is act like a baby. Whatever...

Reactions: bjswx
Just trying to help you out man. Did you read my first reply? It said IF you haven't already done that! No where in your post did you indicate if you tried the putty route. Don't be a jackass. I couldn't care less about your controller working now. I try to post a suggestion and all you can do is act like a baby. Whatever...

Sorry, didn't realize I was speaking to a child. I'll be more gentle next round son.

Reactions: ridetime
Ok thanks Dad! Good luck with that busted controller.
You fellas can save your advice for me. I'm gonna need it.

Spent my career in QA aerospace and Defense primarily. Your right about these QA issues. A few escapes
Are always expected. But a out of box audit should be in place just prior to ship. To catch these things

You fellas can save your advice for me. I'm gonna need it.

Spent my career in QA aerospace and Defense primarily. Your right about these QA issues. A few escapes
Are always expected. But a out of box audit should be in place just prior to ship. To catch these things

considering my box serial # doesn't match the unit... I am guessing the first production run was set to super fast

Here's a nice QA....took the solo all apart today...the main board is held in by four screws...on mine three looked like the black screw in the picture....they must have run out of screws so they substituted this silver one.....you can see they are the same length and thread.....not so much...i left the silver screw out and assembled it with only 3 rather than the four...i was not going to force that silver screw back into threads that were not designed to accept it

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 24
Folks,

Face it, you're dealing with a first release that was pumped to the market a bit faster than it might have been. Part of that was due to a push to announce at the NAB, part was timing to the release of the P3, and part due to clamoring of people that pre-ordered with no patience.

We're dealing with what are still hobby grade products produced in China. Accept the fact that China was selected as point of manufacture due to cheap and abundant unskilled labor, along with lower costs for facilities and materials. The first run of anything from that area should be expected to have a few issues, more if it was rushed to market for whatever reason. Yes, everyone paid a lot of money for the product, and everyone expects perfection, and of course nobody admits to ever being inexperienced and prone to mistakes. It was advertised as being so simple a monkey could do it, right? We can be sure there's a few out there with Solos a bit behind the monkey in the evolutionary cycle, and some of them will do some pretty dumb stuff and blame it on the copter.

Given all that, you all have something few in multirotors get to experience, a stellar customer support department. Only one other company provides the kind of support you have available and that's Eagle Tree. Yes, it's a pain to have to experience customer service at all but where that's the case, appreciate what you have available. Had you chosen any other manufacturer you'd likely still be waiting on an e-mail response. Receiving a return phone call would be out of the question. An actual attempt at problem resolution would be weeks or months down the road, if it ever came at all.

Make use of this growth period of system bugs, minor assembly defects, and waiting for the gimbal to learn as much as you can about the software and features through perusal of the manual, the Wiki, and user group forums. Learn all you can about the apps, their applicability, the various tablet and phone choices available, which work well with Solo and which don't. Post that info for others to make use of. Learn about GPS, line of sight, 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies, along with how and where they work best. Understand how RTL/RTH works and what you need to do to assure you don't have problems because of user failure to provide correct software inputs. You rushed to be the first so it's now up to you to establish what works, what doesn't, what needs a little attention, and how to make best use of the product as time moves forward. The attack-defend postures so often seen in blogs like this and others does nothing to make the situation better. In fact, such activity only prevents education and corrective ideas from being put forth.

Although called a consumer drone it's still just an expensive toy and there's no reason to get pissey with the situation when the manufacturer is going to greater lengths than just about anyone to provide corrections for deficiencies. Yes, it's irritating but I suspect everything will get worked out shortly. Be productive, not destructive.

Last edited:
Yesterday, while landing manually and about a foot off the ground, my Solo flew rapidly to the left and flipped over. It broke one prop and scratched the other, so I am replacing the full set, but two of them are impossible to spin off. I am spinning in the direction of the arrows to unlock (one black and one silver) and have had two Phantoms for a couple of years so I know what to do with props. Any suggestions for how to remove them without breaking the quad?

Thought about using needle nose, but was afraid to ruin the motor. DJI sends a little wrench to use, but it does not fit the Solo. I assume the props tightened themselves as al. I did was spin them on according to Colin's video suggestion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44