Prop Balancing Problem

Reaction score
I have the Du-Bro balancer and rod recommended elsewhere on this forum. The first prop I tried went smoothly. The second one, not so much.
I place the prop horizontally and it dropped toward the heavy blade. Placing it again horizontal but heavy blade on the other side got movement to the heavy blade. Small piece of tape fixed the imbalance.
Next I set the prop vertical and it fell off to assume a horizontal position. Vertical with the other blade up again got rotation to horizontal.
I have applied several, maybe 10, coats of clear nail polish to the high side of the hub. I still get rotation to horizontal. What am I doing wrong?

I have the Du-Bro balancer and rod recommended elsewhere on this forum. The first prop I tried went smoothly. The second one, not so much.
I place the prop horizontally and it dropped toward the heavy blade. Placing it again horizontal but heavy blade on the other side got movement to the heavy blade. Small piece of tape fixed the imbalance.
Next I set the prop vertical and it fell off to assume a horizontal position. Vertical with the other blade up again got rotation to horizontal.
I have applied several, maybe 10, coats of clear nail polish to the high side of the hub. I still get rotation to horizontal. What am I doing wrong?
Your probably not doing anything wrong. I was using nail polish for the hubs @ first when trying to balance. It just takes too many coats. What works for me & other pilots as well, is hot glue. It dries quick & if you add too much, just peel off & try again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 45
Your probably not doing anything wrong. I was using nail polish for the hubs @ first when trying to balance. It just takes too many coats. What works for me & other pilots as well, is hot glue. It dries quick & if you add too much, just peel off & try again.

That worked but not very neat. Won't the blob of glue be slung off during flight?

That worked but not very neat. Won't the blob of glue be slung off during flight?
Yea I agree it's not pretty & I've also always rough up that side of hub ever so slightly & make sure it's clean obviously. Never once has the glue slung off. And I guess if it ever does sling off, it's not gonna be devastating. Also I gotta give "props" (no pun intended) to MADDOG for passing this method on to me. It works really well for me

Last edited:
Do you need to balance Props with the Solo? I figured they must have evolved past that old issue?

Reactions: Solo Keith
Do you need to balance Props with the Solo? I figured they must have evolved past that old issue?
I got a couple new sets last week & they are much better than the originals I got w/SOLO. Only had to do some minor sanding. No hub balancing. I will say that since I've read on here somewhere (& I'm gonna go back & give that dude credit) that sanding the stamped rotation impression near the hub, has made tremendous results.

Reactions: cameraguy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks