ProDrenalin question

Reaction score
Was trying to post this in the "general" discussion area, but for some reason my iPad keeps getting an error when I try to go to that area. So I'm posting here. And moderators, please feel free to move if need be.

Ok, been cleaning out my Mac Pro, getting ready to start working wth some video again. Been a little while. I use to have a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. But due to my upcoming wedding next year, most of my extra money each month is going towards that. So even the $56 a month is not an option for me. I own Final Cut Pro (version prior to final cut x). And I've update my copy of Devinci Resolve to the new version 12. I've decided I want to learn its video editing features, as could make jumping straight into color grading that much simpler. But worse case, I convert all my GoPro footage to prores and can edit in Final Cut Pro.

My question really is about ProDrenalin. I have 2 GoPro Hero 4 blacks. One has been converted to 4.35 lens. The other stock. I just simply want to know......

Can stabilize footage without having to do any sort of fisheye removal? I'm interested in the software for its stabilization ability. With the occasional fisheye removal. Been watching tutorials and for $50, not a bad deal.

Can stabilize footage without having to do any sort of fisheye removal? I'm interested in the software for its stabilization ability. With the occasional fisheye removal. Been watching tutorials and for $50, not a bad deal.

Tro,

I just did a couple of test vids over in another thread: http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/compression-versus-tension-gimbal.2573/page-4 . I've got the Peau 4.35mm lens on my GPH4B right now. There's one clip before ProDad and a bit further down is another of the same clip after running it through ProDad. I just didn't put anything in the profile selection box.

Jerry

Was trying to post this in the "general" discussion area, but for some reason my iPad keeps getting an error when I try to go to that area. So I'm posting here. And moderators, please feel free to move if need be.

Ok, been cleaning out my Mac Pro, getting ready to start working wth some video again. Been a little while. I use to have a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. But due to my upcoming wedding next year, most of my extra money each month is going towards that. So even the $56 a month is not an option for me. I own Final Cut Pro (version prior to final cut x). And I've update my copy of Devinci Resolve to the new version 12. I've decided I want to learn its video editing features, as could make jumping straight into color grading that much simpler. But worse case, I convert all my GoPro footage to prores and can edit in Final Cut Pro.

My question really is about ProDrenalin. I have 2 GoPro Hero 4 blacks. One has been converted to 4.35 lens. The other stock. I just simply want to know......

If you've got Resolve 12, Adobe CC, why bother with prodrenalin? I guess I could make an argument for Final Cut X if your running a Mac Pro because depending on your video card, Final Cut may out perform Adobe. But ProDrenalin? Why?

As for stabilization, the warp stabilizer in Adobe should be enough. I actually prefer Final Cuts inertia cam for drone footage, except selfie style pull backs.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother much with Resolve's editor yet. It's still kinda limited. Your better off brining footage into Adobe Premiere. Do a rough cut and apply stabilization. Export to ProRes 422 (don't need HQ for GoPro footage). Bring your 422 into Resolve either manually or by importing an XML from Premiere. Do your color grading in Resolve, then round trip it back to Premiere to polish, add transitions, titles, etc. That's essentially a professional workflow.

Personally, I prefer Final Cut to Premiere because it's better at managing all your files. Also, I just like the interface. But for commercial work, Final Cut isn't really an option unless you happen to be working with the small number of studios who use it.

Oh no, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not currently subscribing to Adobe CC. So I don't have premier or after effects. Getting married next year is sucking up my extra income and can't squeeze in the $56 a month for it.

Reactions: J R
Oh no, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not currently subscribing to Adobe CC. So I don't have premier or after effects. Getting married next year is sucking up my extra income and can't squeeze in the $56 a month for it.
My bad. I read your original post the wrong way.

If you have a Mac, you should definitely consider iMovie. It's very good and has a stabilizer built in. Also, I'm pretty sure it free (and you could still round trip to Resolve if you want more color control than iMovie gets you).

Oh and by the way, most stabilizers don't really need to know your lens profile to work. It helps if you have very bad shake and rolling shutter issues, but you don't really have to worry much. For example, I also have the Peau 4.35 and a stock lens. Though I can't speak for ProDrenalin, I'm not at all surprised that @J R was able to use its stabilization without lens specific adjustments.

Last edited:
I have Final Cut Studio 7. Which is the version prior to final cut x. So I have a good editor. Just wasn't sure if it's stabilizer was up to the job.

I have Final Cut Studio 7. Which is the version prior to final cut x. So I have a good editor. Just wasn't sure if it's stabilizer was up to the job.

Final Cut 7 is good and in many ways better than Final Cut X, but it's getting really long in the tooth. I would recommend CoreMelt's Lock and Load plugin for stabilization in Final Cut 7. But that will cost you money.

Let me put in one final plug for iMovie. It's got the same internal guts as Final Cut X, so you won't lose any quality - and iMovie's stabilizer is professional grade (though features are limited).

Final Cut 7 is good and in many ways better than Final Cut X, but it's getting really long in the tooth. I would recommend CoreMelt's Lock and Load plugin for stabilization in Final Cut 7. But that will cost you money.

Let me put in one final plug for iMovie. It's got the same internal guts as Final Cut X, so you won't lose any quality - and iMovie's stabilizer is professional grade (though features are limited).

I will for sure look into it. I may have a few Christmas bucks left over. I might consider final cut x.

I will for sure look into it. I may have a few Christmas bucks left over. I might consider final cut x.
iMovie is free. You can just download it. If you plan to migrate to Final Cut someday, it's a good place to start because the interface is similar. You'll also be able to import any projects done in iMovie directly into final cut. Some guys will do quick rough cuts in iMovie and then switch over to Final Cut when they get back to the studio.

IMO Prodrenalin does a better job than Warp Stabilizer most of the time, Mercalli wipes the floor with Warp Stabilizer but costs more money (albeit there are fairly regular discount offers).

For editing on a budget check out Hit Film 3 Express, it's FREE so you can't get cheaper than that. HitFilm 4 also has a discount offer here and it's a mash-up of Premiere, After Effects, Element 3D and Particular (and it includes Mocha and effects from Boris too) at a relatively small cost.

HitFilm 4 with a discount
Toolfarm.com :: The Video Plug-ins People - FXHOME HitFilm 4 Pro [Purchase]

HitFilm 3 Express (Free).
Download HitFilm 3 Express FREE - HitFilm.com

I'm from an Adobe background and I've found it's easy enough to pick up HitFilm as it works in a similar way albeit it mixes Premiere and AE into a single product.

HitFilm

Finally it integrates with Abobe and also Finalcut, so you get access to the HitFilm effects in those and it has a few nice ones. I like for example its rain on glass effect.

IMO Prodrenalin does a better job than Warp Stabilizer most of the time, Mercalli wipes the floor with Warp Stabilizer but costs more money (albeit there are fairly regular discount offers).

For editing on a budget check out Hit Film 3 Express, it's FREE so you can't get cheaper than that. HitFilm 4 also has a discount offer here and it's a mash-up of Premiere, After Effects, Element 3D and Particular (and it includes Mocha and effects from Boris too) at a relatively small cost.

HitFilm 4 with a discount
Toolfarm.com :: The Video Plug-ins People - FXHOME HitFilm 4 Pro [Purchase]

HitFilm 3 Express (Free).
Download HitFilm 3 Express FREE - HitFilm.com

I'm from an Adobe background and I've found it's easy enough to pick up HitFilm as it works in a similar way albeit it mixes Premiere and AE into a single product.

HitFilm

Finally it integrates with Abobe and also Finalcut, so you get access to the HitFilm effects in those and it has a few nice ones. I like for example its rain on glass effect.
A lot of folks have been talking up HitFilm. That is a good suggestion. I haven't used ProDrenalin, so I can't speak to the quality of its stabilization, but if you have semi stable footage to begin with, almost all these stabilizers in all these apps should be more than enough.

Reactions: Ian [P13]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150