Problem with the controller

Reaction score
Recently bought a Solo package and tried to get it to fly. After app download got prompt asking to perform software upgrade. Upgrade failed immediately. I thought restarting drone and controller would help, but the only message I got after restart is "Waiting for solo" on the controller screen. Solo Wifi no longer comes up. Restarting controller with two buttons does not work either. Drone boots up with green then changes its lights to blue/red. Emailed support as chat does not seem to be working. Was just posting here to see if anyone might have suggestion.

Recently bought a Solo package and tried to get it to fly. After app download got prompt asking to perform software upgrade. Upgrade failed immediately. I thought restarting drone and controller would help, but the only message I got after restart is "Waiting for solo" on the controller screen. Solo Wifi no longer comes up. Restarting controller with two buttons does not work either. Drone boots up with green then changes its lights to blue/red. Emailed support as chat does not seem to be working. Was just posting here to see if anyone might have suggestion.

You may want to try and doing a factory reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google how to factory reset 3dr solo.

Do as it says.

Don't forget to re-pair the controller and solo.

Then start again on the update.

I just had the same problem with my new arrival. (It's a doner but I wanted to try it first to see if worked ok)

On a side note.
Version 1 gps with copper foil.
First boot took 3 minutes and 10 satellites. 0.7 HDOP

Not bad for a doner bird.

It's brand new and was imported from USA.

A friend of mine lives in Florida and managed to get me a bb deal.

If you are still struggling pm me and I'll talk you through it.

Don't forget though, it's 20:00 hrs here in the uk.

So get a wiggle on if you want a guide through it.

-Steve

Factory reset does not work on the controller. Updating system message never comes up. All I see is the solo logo with progress bar and then waiting for solo message.

Tried removing batteries still no go. What helped was holding both keys down to power it off. The wheel kept spinning until I got tired of holding it. next boot while holding same keys worked. All systems go

Tried removing batteries still no go. What helped was holding both keys down to power it off. The wheel kept spinning until I got tired of holding it. next boot while holding same keys worked. All systems go
Which keys?

I had to remove the wireless card in the controller then reinstall. It works now.

If I may join in... I just bought a solo with the same issue. Unused, but from an individual and not a store, so no return. I spent about an hour chatting with support yesterday and determined that I needed to tear it down and remove the wireless card and reinstall.

I've seen a lot of discussion about reflashing the sd cards, upgrading firmware as well as hardware components. My question is... since it's going to be apart, are there any upgrades (and obviously everything in a perfect world) that I should really consider doing right away? Will new code on the card(s) help prevent issues like this from happening again? I've never done anything like that before, but I'm willing to learn.

By the way, my usage should always be fairly close by and in sight.

I'd consider upgrading the WiFi card. Several threads in this forum describe how. The WiFi cards seem to be out of stock in many areas.
Also I heard that a wonky controller can often be fixed by removing and reseating the SD card in the controller. It should be held in place by a spot of glue but sometimes it comes loose in transit. I'd do that before reflashing the firmware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd consider upgrading the WiFi card. Several threads in this forum describe how. The WiFi cards seem to be out of stock in many areas.
Also I heard that a wonky controller can often be fixed by removing and reseating the SD card in the controller. It should be held in place by a spot of glue but sometimes it comes loose in transit. I'd do that before reflashing the firmware.

Thanks for the reply!

I did decide to crack open the controller first. While the sd card seemed to be in place and secure, I decided to un-dock the card and reinsert it... not take it all the way out, but bring it out and then back in again.

I agree with you regarding the WiFi card. I'll see if I can order one from somewhere.

So, it's pretty easy to get this vehicle apart! Allegedly, all I have to do us pop the sd card on the circuit board out and then back in again? The tech support rep originally told me to do this to the sd card in the Pixhawk. Then, after a few more questions from me, he settled on the sd card on the board. Is there a second sd card in the Pixhawk? Does that one also need the same remove/replace treatment?

Thanks for the help! I hope to return the favor some day.

Yes, there is a second card in the Pixhawk. Reseating that one couldn't hurt either. I find the SD card holder is more robust in the Pixhawk and rarely causes issues. The one in the controller seems to be more troublesome.

Great! Thanks...

And this card is a pain in the whatever to get out.

I don't want to damage anything, but even with the glue carefully removed, this thing does not want to move at all...

Great! Thanks...

And this card is a pain in the whatever to get out.

I don't want to damage anything, but even with the glue carefully removed, this thing does not want to move at all...

I can verify that this solution works! I popped the card in the controller out and back in, the sd card on the Solo's circuit board out and back in and the card in the Pixhawk out and back in for good measure.

Fired right up! No issues at all. I did re-calibrate everything to be on the safe side.

If you're reading this thread because you're having the same type of issues, don't be afraid to tear the solo down. It's easy to do, you'll understand how it's built, where everything goes and mods will be a piece of cake in the future.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44