Problem with Gimbal

Reaction score
Hi
I just star to experience a lot of shake fotage from my solo gopro4 black set up .
I desamble and re asamble gimbal problems continues. Any idea or tips ? Also left leg of the solo many times appears on the fotage .
Thanks

There are several tutorials and threads for installing the Gimbal and the associated cables. Ignore the 3DR version tutorial as it is basic and really provides little details.

I presume yours is a cable issue based on your description, mainly HDMI cable or even the data cable. The basic idea for those items is to have them "float" when connected to the gimbal. Any restriction of movement (contacting gimbal components and/or body parts) to either once connected will induce what you are experiencing.

Search terms:
HDMI cable mod - there are several with varying levels of success.
Gimbal Data cable - there are several

Don't mean to sound unhelpful by not giving specific answers to your question, but it is important to understand the various causes and then effects. Its not a PhD effort, but it does require an effort all the same.

Possibly others with recent install experiences can chime in, as it is fresh in their minds...or are looking for answers to the same. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions or discuss this new found wonder. Ignore the smart arses replies and enjoy the resources the forum offers.... Welcome to the 3DR Pilots Forum!

There are several tutorials and threads for installing the Gimbal and the associated cables. Ignore the 3DR version tutorial as it is basic and really provides little details.

I presume yours is a cable issue based on your description, mainly HDMI cable or even the data cable. The basic idea for those items is to have them "float" when connected to the gimbal. Any restriction of movement (contacting gimbal components and/or body parts) to either once connected will induce what you are experiencing.

Search terms:
HDMI cable mod - there are several with varying levels of success.
Gimbal Data cable - there are several

Don't mean to sound unhelpful by not giving specific answers to your question, but it is important to understand the various causes and then effects. Its not a PhD effort, but it does require an effort all the same.

Possibly others with recent install experiences can chime in, as it is fresh in their minds...or are looking for answers to the same. Don't be embarrassed to ask questions or discuss this new found wonder. Ignore the smart arses replies and enjoy the resources the forum offers.... Welcome to the 3DR Pilots Forum!

Thanks A lot for your replay I will check on those points to see if I get to the problem.

The shakes could indicate a bad motor pod and not have anything to do with the gimbal.

The left leg will show up less if you yaw slowly and smoothly.
Ways to remove the leg from video:
1. Shoot in Medium not Wide. The highest resolution you can shoot in Medium is 2.7K. If you want to shoot in 4K which forces a Wide field of view, then read on...

2. Remove fisheye effect using GoPro studio (or any number of other video editing applications).

3. Use video stabilization in software (for example Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, ProDrenalin, Hit Film, etc). Stabilization will slight "zoom" in on your footage, which often crops out the leg because it's close to the edge of the frame.

Also, stabilization (#3 above) might partly solve your problem with the shakes, but since you weren't getting this behavior before, it sounds like you have a new problem, whether it's a gimbal going bad or a failing motor pod.

If you contact customer support at 3DR, they can look at your logs to tell you whether a motor pod is going bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corchado
Take your props OFF and put your hand firmly on the solo battery while its sitting on the ground. Spin the motors up holding down the Fly button. Is there a lot of vibration? Hold down the Fly button again like you are going to take off and it gives the Solo more throttle. How are the vibrations at that point? There will always be a little vibration, but if there is a lot it could be absorbed into the gimbal. You can balance your motors if that is the case. Another thing to check would be whether your props are balanced.

Reactions: Corchado
how i balance the motors ?
You just opened up a big can of worms. Start by balancing the props. That should be good.

There are many different ways to balance motors. I prefer the "dot on the wall" approach using a mirror and a laser. Others use a digital meter.

Anyway, once you start down the motor balancing path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Man is that problem in shakes persist no matter what I change propellers for new ones cause I am waiting for a balance box to arrive . I am a little desperate on these I have a Phanthom Standard and get perfect footage out of the box and the Solo set up is almost 3 times the cost and I can get a single nice footage is frustrating.

Man is that problem in shakes persist no matter what I change propellers for new ones cause I am waiting for a balance box to arrive . I am a little desperate on these I have a Phanthom Standard and get perfect footage out of the box and the Solo set up is almost 3 times the cost and I can get a single nice footage is frustrating.
Call 3DR support and have them walk you through a few things. Your gimbal may be faulty. You may have a bad motor pod - which they might be able to see from your logs. You may just have the gimbal cables installed in such a way that they are transmiting vibrations to the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44