Pre-Pre-Flight Check List, Somebody check me

Reaction score
I think I'm ready to take to the air, maybe a few more trips on the simulator. And at least one more read of the manual.

So far I've done the following:
mRobotics GPS upgrade, getting 16+/- Sats with a HDOP of 0.6
Updated Firmware to 1.5.3 & confirmed loaded.
Level Calibration afterwards
FAA UAS Registration with the Cert# label in the Battery Tray
Hero4 Silver came with 5.0, WiFI Off, video settings as recommended, checked gimbal function.
Alfa Flat Antennas
Solo Wifi network configured & renamed, new p/w, tablet communicating, w/Solo app loaded
Good Video feed from GoPro
Advanced Mode on controller with Fly Manual programmed to A key
Yaw & Pan set to Slow
Compass cal. pending.
Checked motor spin-up without props.
Controller, tablet, GoPro, Solo batteries fully charged.

Need to play a little more with the app to familiarize myself with changing screens and looking at telemetry. I'll probably use my iPhone for the first flight so I can use the geofence feature. I'll have to double check the RTH height since I have trees in my area. Anything I've missed?

One thing I know I do with the GoPro is turn off the on-screen display. It clutters up the video feed. Personal preference.

You did all the mods without ever taking the solo for a spin? How will you have a baseline to compare?

Didn't see much need to compare being a new pilot starting from scratch. Read all the threads in advance and the merits of the updates. I did check the GPS acquisition on the Rev B stock GPS board vs. the mRo Solo board & the performance improvement is so significant, it was a no-brainer. 6 Sats vs. 16+, 4 Sats indoors vs. 12 sats indoors. (No intention of flying indoors). Figured it would be best to start with as much advantage as I could get, the firmware is a little added insurance against a crash. Thus the firmware & GPS updates seemed to be to my advantage. Still using the stock Solo app's to fly. I could have gone to Solex, Tower, MP, upgraded motors & props; that would have been a bit overboard for a new pilot. Spent that past couple of weeks reading & searching here, and that list is what I came up with.

Reactions: AJdaBombsauce
Didn't see much need to compare being a new pilot starting from scratch. Read all the threads in advance and the merits of the updates. I did check the GPS acquisition on the Rev B stock GPS board vs. the mRo Solo board & the performance improvement is so significant, it was a no-brainer. 6 Sats vs. 16+, 4 Sats indoors vs. 12 sats indoors. (No intention of flying indoors). Figured it would be best to start with as much advantage as I could get, the firmware is a little added insurance against a crash. Thus the firmware & GPS updates seemed to be to my advantage. Still using the stock Solo app's to fly. I could have gone to Solex, Tower, MP, upgraded motors & props; that would have been a bit overboard for a new pilot. Spent that past couple of weeks reading & searching here, and that list is what I came up with.

From the looks of it, you've done your homework. I personally prefer to know what my upgrades/mods are improving upon and I find the best way is to use it stock first and determine any shortcomings. From what I discover, I can then see if there are any existing ways to improve/fix it.

Don't get me wrong, there is no right or wrong way.

If you are unsure of your flying skills ( or the airworthiness of the copter), I'd recommend you fly without the camera for the first couple of flights. No reason to risk the GoPro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solo Keith
If you approach your flying with the same thoroughness as your pre-pre flight you should step of on the right foot.

In a previous life I flew rw fixed wing. I always spent as long preparing for a lesson on the ground - if not longer - than executing it in the air. I try and do the same with my Solo flights. So have an aim you want to achieve each flight. My advice would be to concentrate on flying the a/c before trying to use it for anything else. So;

- Understand the emeregncy respones to loss of signal and GPS (you will do already I'm sure).

- Learn to fly in manual as soon as you feel confident (I had no previous RC experience but manual should soon becomes quite natural)

- Learn to land in manual and arm/shut down with left stick bottom right/bottom left, it's much more positive than the autoload.

- Video all you flights on the GoPro, not as a photography exercise but as a useful aid to any analysis, leave the photography until you are confident flying.

- Log and review your flights and note any lessons learnt.

- Don't let the aircraft get ahead of you, never be afraid to hit pause and start your exercise again.

- You've already done it, use this forum, there is some grumpiness sometimes but everyone is here because they enjoy Solo and most everyone will help you out...it's wise to use the seach function though...you'll notice in a few of the threads....one or two people might...ahhm mention it :)

I just found this approach useful and helped build up my skills in a structured way - it's not the definitive...but it works for me.

For what it''s worth, in my opinion, the level of research you've done and preparation you're showing sets a fine example and is comendable.

Reactions: Solo Keith
You might have to back the GoPro firmware to version 3 to get all the functions with the Solo app
Do not run the gimbal, if you have one attached, without a camera on it
You are good to go, and have done more homework than many others starting out.
Before you ask how to bump the GOPro back, it is on this site, quite a few times. While you are looking for it, you'll find answers to many other questions that you don't even have, YET!
Welcome to the Solo family!:)

Had a moment today to give it a go. 18 Sats. Checked the K index (another checklist item I added) Took some fumbling with the app on the iPhone. Couldn't get the geofence feature to work & the app kept crashing when I tried to activate it so I gave up on that feature. Pretty much flew visual only, not watching the camera. Made several landings without using RTL. Pretty impressed with the ease of flying. Quieter than I expected. I was bringing it in for the final landing, already over the spot when the low Battery RTL kicked in and it got a little squirrely so I did per the Avoiding Botched Landing thread and left my thumbs off the controls and let it do it's thing and it landed without issue.

In hindsight, I'm really impressed with the whole package, was looking at the Phantom 3 Advanced refurb and was about to hit the order button when I stumbled across the Solo.

Going forward I need to find something lightweight to use as a launch pad that I can level and use for level calibration when needed as most of my property is on a slope.

Had a moment today to give it a go. 18 Sats. Checked the K index (another checklist item I added) Took some fumbling with the app on the iPhone. Couldn't get the geofence feature to work & the app kept crashing when I tried to activate it so I gave up on that feature. Pretty much flew visual only, not watching the camera. Made several landings without using RTL. Pretty impressed with the ease of flying. Quieter than I expected. I was bringing it in for the final landing, already over the spot when the low Battery RTL kicked in and it got a little squirrely so I did per the Avoiding Botched Landing thread and left my thumbs off the controls and let it do it's thing and it landed without issue.

In hindsight, I'm really impressed with the whole package, was looking at the Phantom 3 Advanced refurb and was about to hit the order button when I stumbled across the Solo.

Going forward I need to find something lightweight to use as a launch pad that I can level and use for level calibration when needed as most of my property is on a slope.

I bought a large outdoor door mat to use as my copter pad. The one I bought was from Lowes, about $14 I think. Sure beats the round circles they like to sell us for $60! It won't level the slope, but provides a clean non-slip surface, and minimizes the debris that gets blown up into the camera and motors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MiNDRiOTS
I must thank you for doing the research and reading of the manual. My only sugestion is set the advanced mode on b not a. I have inadvertantly hit the a button while flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig