Pool application

Reaction score
I work in the pool business and I have an idea to use some type of drone with a camera to measure the dimensions of a pool filled with water. This would be used to find the inside dimensions of the pool and allow for precise measurements to replace a liner. This is a link as to how it currently done.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I had a drone that I could fly over the pool and take a picture using markers in the corners. Anybody have any ideas?

I work in the pool business and I have an idea to use some type of drone with a camera to measure the dimensions of a pool filled with water. This would be used to find the inside dimensions of the pool and allow for precise measurements to replace a liner. This is a link as to how it currently done.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I had a drone that I could fly over the pool and take a picture using markers in the corners. Anybody have any ideas?
Hmmm. You might be able to do this with photogrammetry, but I doubt it would be accurate enough. Here is a recent tutorial I came across.

Converting a video to georeferenced 3D model tutorial (Agisoft PhotoScan, Sputnik GIS) | GeoScan

Would pix4d do that? I've never used any of the mapping/3d stuff, but if I remember in some video it said it could estimate things like the volume of mounds of dirt, etc., which is basically the opposite of measuring a void like a pool.

I would imagine the lens distortion could be an issue, parallax. But then like you said placing markers to reference the perimeter could provide a better accuracy. A dimensional accurate target referenced within the photo would provide an ability to scale the distances between the markers.

Depth measurement would have to be done the old fashion way, like in the video... The water would distort any optical measurements made.

I like your thinking, lots of hurdles however. Consider a floating sonar type device as it would provide better results for what you are asking.

Good luck!

Would pix4d do that? I've never used any of the mapping/3d stuff, but if I remember in some video it said it could estimate things like the volume of mounds of dirt, etc., which is basically the opposite of measuring a void like a pool.
Pix4D would do it. But it's super expensive. There are other options, including the ones I linked to in the post above.

I would imagine the lens distortion could be an issue, parallax. But then like you said placing markers to reference the perimeter could provide a better accuracy. A dimensional accurate target referenced within the photo would provide an ability to scale the distances between the markers.

Depth measurement would have to be done the old fashion way, like in the video... The water would distort any optical measurements made.

I like your thinking, lots of hurdles however. Consider a floating sonar type device as it would provide better results for what you are asking.

Good luck!
Lens distortion won't be an issue. A proper lens profile can account for that.

You would have to do this with an empty pool. To be honest, I doubt there is much point for the average pool. It would be just as easy (and more accurate) to use a measuring tape. It might make sense for a very large pool with a complex shape.

I see....

Since we don't freeze to extremes here and pools are in ground, we hold water year around... didn't even register without water...my oversight.
Yeah but I think your overall point about lots of hurdles is right. By the time you drain the pool, you might as well just use a tape measure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44